Rex Ryan: I’m a lot better coach than I’m given credit for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CJLang, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

If you liked that, get a load of my sig. :lol: Reality is going to hit him hard in a few months.

2. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

That's a ridiculous sentiment. Can you think of any great HC in history delegating all their authority and control over one side of the ball. The OC can do the micromanaging he may not have time to do, but it's not at all true that Rex can just write off one side of the ball as "my coordinator's job." Do you think Sean Peyton has nothing to do with his defense? Belichick is a defensive guy, do you think he has nothing to do with the way the offense runs?

The work Rex does with the defense isn't extra work; it's his job. If he chooses to spend all of his time with the defense, it's a sign that his priorities as an HC aren't in order. I know he's a defensive genius, but that doesn't mean he can just take a pass on running the offense. He can delegate the authority to run the offense if he chooses; but he can't delegate the responsibility that comes with his position. If he wants to do that he should have stayed a defensive coordinator.

3. FriendlyGiantsFan

You're right in that all HCs lean towards one side of the ball and macro-manage the other, but the issue with Rex is that he seems to have no interest in the offensive side of the ball. It may not be his wheelhouse, but he has to have more input than he seems to have had heretofore. The entire team is his responsibility; he isn't doing his job if he produces a top 5 defense but only generates a 6-10 season due to his offense being awful.

4. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I don't think anyone doubts that if, paired with the right Offensive Coordinator, RR is a good enough defensive coach to lead a team to a Super Bowl as HC. His penchant for magnifying criticism though is, in itself, a valid argument as to why he may not be as good of a coach as he professes.

5. FriendlyGiantsFan

Cowher had some years where the team was poor, but his overall career in Pittsburgh was great. Don't act like him having some less than great seasons somehow absolves Rex of his offense being consistently bad.

Ditka tried to get involved in the defense in Chicago and it created a lot of friction with him and Buddy Ryan. That's not to say Ryan didn't primarily run the defensive side of the ball, but Ditka at least made an effort; I'm not sure you can say that about Ryan.

6. FriendlyGiantsFan

So do you want the Jets to win or do you just want Sanchez? I know you believe in him and that's all well and good, but it sounds like you really just don't want Smith to do well because his success comes at Sachez's loss.

7. FriendlyGiantsFan

Revis can move around and cover Kerley on 3rd downs (which is probably where he's at his most useful to the offense), so it's not like you can just write him off completely. I agree that the effectiveness of a CB can be nullified by offenses with lots of WR talent, but the Jets aren't that offense. They lack talent at the position; that isn't the same as having no "true" #1 WR.

Also, Kerley caught 56 passes last year 14 of those were against the Pats' porous secondary. He did his best work out of the slot, so he wasn't playing out of position. That's not to say Kerely can't be effective, but his role is playing the slot and allowing the higher-billeted WRs to draw attention away from him.

If you want to go off last year's stats, Hill caught 21 passes. Holmes was having a down year before suffering a serious injury; This isn't exactly what I would call a "pick your poison" scenario.

Kerley can do damage if he's allowed to work the slot. Hill may come up with some big plays, but he can't be counted on to be consistent. Holmes can draw attention from Revis and, if Revis is healthy, that's about all you can expect from him. Methinks you're being a bit optimistic about this. The Jets offense can best help the team by not turning the ball over, taking whatever points are allowed by the Bucs defense, and allowing their own defense to wreck Josh Freeman.

8. Absolutely not. There's no excuse from anyone in Florham Park for what they've allowed to happen to this offense.Bad scheme, bad personnel & bad finances.Rex is at the top of the list.

But wouldn't you try everything to make an offense work w/ him given how good the defense performs? After all, the offense just needs to be competent..Rex's D has displayed the ability to carry the team. A competent offense should be an attainable goal.

9. FriendlyGiantsFan

I agree completely that the offense just needs to be competent in order for the Jets to be a playoff contender. Rex has shown that he WILL field a top 10 defense come hell or highwater. The offense has been awful for years and he hasn't fixed it. If his strategy has been to delegate the offense to his coordinators and trust them blindly that strategy isn't working and it's a failure on HIS part. He needs to accept that and show more motivation to fix the offense and more inclination to get involved with the offense.

A competent offense SHOULD be an attainable goal, but the only times he's had that were when he had a LOT of talent. With average to below average talent he's fielded an awful offense and, most troubling, he's shown zero ability to develop the QB running said offense. I know he's been trusting that to his coordinators but again, if that's his strategy it's not working.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sanchez, is the better player. Its as simple as that.

Smith is learning, to play from under center. Which basically means, the next step, is reading, while taking a drop.

Sanchez is, a playoff winning QB, that has had exactly...one losing season, and never had a real OC, and his losing season, had more to do with depth.

I hope smith is successful. I hope he is the next Joe Montana. But making him out to be so, when he hasnt done shit, is ridiculous.

11. Hobbes3259

Hill, missed 8 games.holmes, about a dozen. Keller, 8 more.

Week one, will be just like Buffalo. You know, no injuries. If Holmes is PUP, edwards is on the roster.

Revis, can cover one guy. Pick.

And, FWIW...freeman sucks. Sanchez will have the ball in his hands, more than a MLB umpire.

P.s. you are wrong. Kerleys best use, is on first down. 6-7 yards out of the slot/slant. Think NE.

#131 Hobbes3259, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Valid point. Rex needs to let the play on the field do the talking.

All the Jets need out of the offense, at least for the first half of the season, is to move the chains and let the defense do the heavy lifting.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I guess I shouldn't have said everything. I meant virtually everything, a large portion. A head coach is SUPPOSED to hire an OC and a DC to compliment their skill sets. I just find it silly how people have this all or nothing attitude as if him helping with D means he's going to ignore his duties as a head coach, or since MM is running the offense it means Rex will do absolutely nothing with it. People only say that nonsense to nitpick and in reality it's just because they are angry Jets fans, and don't apply the same scrutiny to other teams that do the same thing. Sean Payton is proof of what I'm saying. He calls plays on offense for the Saints, yet you don't hear people complaining about him ignoring defense, or calling him a glorified OC. It's just that defense isn't his specialty so he won't focus on it as much and will hire somebody that can do most of that work for him. I don't understand why people fail to see this. It's just nitpickers looking to criticize everything about Rex.

What makes you say he has no interest? He's already been all over his guys about dropped passes and interceptions in OTAs. Injuries were a big part of that 6-10 record last year as was lack of depth. But it's all Rex, right? Let's not forget that Tom Coughlin had his fair share of weak seasons. You can't just pin 2 mediocre seasons on Rex as if he didn't have 2 very good ones. That's not how it works. If you blame Rex exclusively for the last 2 years, then you should praise him for the first 2. 50% of the seasons Rex has coached, he's gotten us deep in the playoffs with one of the worst QBs in the league. That ain't a bad stat and neither is his overall record, nor his post season record on the road which folks continue to dismiss in favor of cherry picking the 2 bad years. That's like ignoring 2008 and 2011 for the Giants while criticizing 2009 & 2010 where they collapsed and missed the playoffs.

I will keep defending Rex as long as there are people slandering him and blaming him for issues that are not his fault. Constantly badgering the head coach of a team you are allegedly a fan of, rubs me suspicious and honestly gets downright childish at times. Show some support for your coach, damn... Only on the Jets.

#133 Barcs, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think you could find many here that think that's a good idea.

15. Hobbes3259

Personally, i think the GM, should force Rex to sit in on every offensive meeting possible.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I think Rex is using this as a learning experience. MM is an experienced OC, unlike Shotty and Sparano. There's a lot he can teach Rex about offense. I doubt Ryan will need to be forced. He will attend those meetings because he's aware of how badly the offense needs to reduce turnovers, just as he did last season. Remember people were angry last year that he spent time with the offense, because they claimed he was a defensive genius. Now that he's going back to calling plays on defense, the same exact fans are critical and think he's ignoring offense. You can't have it both ways and the HC shouldn't have to be heavily involved on both sides of the ball. I think he's going to call plays this year to help groom Thurman into a great DC for the future. I don't think Pettine was as successful because he wasn't as aggressive as Rex with exotic blitz schemes.

#136 Barcs, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Force?

Just put a big bowl of peanut M&Ms on the table.

Rex will get there early.

Ryan's last big decision on offense landed Sparano in our lap. Rex needs to let Morningwheg do his thing.

18. FriendlyGiantsFan

I guess I shouldn't say he has NO interest in the running the offense. Still, it seems like he cares a lot more about HIS defense than the Jets' offense. Am I totally off base in getting that impression?

And I'm certainly not trying to say he's a bad HC, but I don't think he's improving on his areas of weakness (namely working with the offense) as much as one would like. It may just be the way he worded his comment, but it sounds like he is still thinking of the defense as his baby and the offense as the step-child he spends time with out of obligation.

19. FriendlyGiantsFan

QB is about potential, sometimes. I think this is one of those times. Sanchez has shown who he is and what he can do. I don't think it's a stretch to say his teammates may not have much confidence in him.

Throw aside stats and throw aside records; if you watch him play any given do you walk away impressed?

20. FriendlyGiantsFan

Unless you're getting Braylon from 2010, I don't think that helps much. People on his site go crazy for Edwards, but he hasn't exactly been kicking ass and taking names since he left.

Hill missing games speaks more to him needing experience than it does the offense being incredible when he's healthy. Remember that Hill's weakness coming out of school was that he wasn't ready to play in a pro-style offense; I don't think missing half the season helped that. Holmes will be back and that will help...unless Revis covers him. I don't know why you're mentioning Keller, he isn't on the team anymore.

Again, I think you're confusing having a talented WR group with having an untalented WR group. In both cases the talent level is similar across the board, but in one case it's a problem.

Also, I think Kerley is better when the field is spread (multiple WRs on 3rd down) and he's given space to work with. I guess that can be done on first down though, so point taken.