Team Speed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 18, 2013.

1. One thing I think the Jets franchise has done a great job of vastly improving is team speed. If you take a look at the team depth chart, you'll see alot of guys on both sides of the ball w/ above average speed & quickness. That's a far cry from the roster as early as last season when the team seemed dinosaurish(Even worse in 2011).

Players w/ above average speed for their size & position:
    QB:Geno Smith
    RB: Mcknight/Goodson/Ivory(For size)
    WR: Kerley/Hill/Holmes(hopefully)
    TE: Winslow/Cumberland/Smith
    DL: Richardson/Coples,Ellis(For size)
    LB: Davis/Sapp/Barnes
    CB:Cro/Milliner/Wilson/Berry
    S: Bush

That's a pretty significant difference compared to what the Jets have had for speed recently. Speed is absolutely not everything. However..it can play a major factor. Especially if you lack it. Jets no longer lack speed.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Al Davis would be proud.

3. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Haha ! right ? .. Oakland players has some speed on em' ... and no not how fast they can run.............................

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im not sure if several of those names belong up there

i mean Kerley does NOT have above average speed for a WR

Cumberland doesnt unless youre comparing him to blocking TEs

Yeah we got faster @ RB thats huge

QB o k i guess, assuming Geno actually starts

DL yeah its upgrades over ellis Pouha and those guys

then linebacker replacing scott/thomas and what not

Most corners/safeties are fast anyway. Although Cro/Milliner are definitely above average in speed. Wouldnt really say anything about Bush/Wilson though

5. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think the upgrade of speed at LB is going to be the biggest difference...well, that and RB but that kind of goes without saying. LB because I don't know how many time Scott just couldn't catch someone or was just too slow to block up a hole to stop a run.

Other than that speed is a useful tool for many of the other positions but you still need other skills more than speed. I mean Hill is fast but it's well documented he has issues with routes and drops. You could put Usain Bolt out there but if he can't run a route or catch a ball it doesn't matter how fast he is.

I don't know if there are any stats to compare the speed of various teams (not even sure how you would do that) but I'd say we're definitely above average in team speed.

6. Not making any predictions as to how well or poorly the team does wins/loss wise. I'm merely pointing out that team speed has been improved.

My list is based on size & position. I can understand Kerley being contested as he is more quick than fast..but he's demonstrated the ability to run away from defenders both as a returner & a receiver.

Cumberland is fast for 6'4 260.He's very athletic & explosive. His problem has been consistency & health. Better as a #2.

Bush is more of a coverage guy but is a sub 4.5 runner. Ran a 4.49 at workout with Jets. That's pretty good for a safety

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

To quote George Carlin: Moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo moo

8. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Kerley was a 4.52

Thats terrible for WR

The team has gotten faster, no question about it.

But at rb, lb, and dl

And i mean technically if you factor in Holmes/Hills injuries plus Kerley who naturally isnt fast our WRs as a group probably isnt as fast as one would like

9. PuMa

PuMa Banned

There is a difference between 40 speed and field speed.. 40 speed contributes,but acceleration plays a factor which Kerley has.
    That's why he looks a lot faster than a 4.5
    don't call him slow. he is far from slow.. and it's honestly not "Terrible" for a Wide out.. usually the slowest they range to is 4.6 - 4.8

#9 PuMa, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  10. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

sorry, not buying it. the only player we added this off season that is fast would be goodson. we added no real speed in the draft nor free agency. and don't mention defensive backs because you don't play in this league if your slow at those positions.

11. PuMa

PuMa Banned

So your going to sit there and tell me we didn't add speed when we got one of the fastest OLB in Antwan Barnes ? yeah right...
    The top speed for a OLB is 4.5 and the slowest speed is a 4.9 Barnes is running a 4.4

#11 PuMa, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  12. While 4,53 is not blazing,it is above average for a slot receiver

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That's terrible for a black slot receiver, but Kerley is white, so it's actually really good.

14. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Winslow? I don't think I would consider him a speed upgrade unless we're looking at him a few years ago. Smith is a speed upgrade, but not at a position where speed is key. RB has seen a speed upgrade just as much by the new additions as it has by the departure of Greene (he was really slow, you see).

I don't think you can say speed was upgraded at the Safety position; Landry could fly. CB is more or less a wash, Milliner is fast but I don't know that I would say he's a significant speed upgrade over Revis.

The area where team speed has been significantly upgraded is the LB corps and the DL. DL speed is less important, but they should be much better at shooting gaps and stringing out running plays. The LBs should be VERY improved due to the unit's newfound speed. TEs and RBs won't gash the team for big gains following short passes anymore. I think that alone should make this defense better; it's pretty hard to gameplan to protect such an obvious and easily exploitable weakness.

The defense will be faster and should be improved in the LBs, but I don't think it's accurate to go as far as to say the team speed has improved to the point of translating to wins at this point.

15. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

WRs that run above a 4.6 are usually big guys that are borderline TEs. You aren't going to find too many drafted WRs that run anything slower than 4.59. Kerley has average speed but excellent quickness for the position.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

You dont think replacing Bart Scott (33), Bryan Thomas (34), Sione Pouha (34) with guys younger than 26 makes our defense faster ?

I agree with you on the defensive backs completely as i mentioned earlier (although to be fair Cromartie and Milliner are both very fast even by DB standards)

17. Your right..There are a few select positions where the Jets downgraded speed wise. Laron Landry was a 4.3 guy & Keller was faster than Winslow.

My point was more collective in nature than so about any individual player or transaction. Speed & athleticism were severely lacking throughout the Jets from 2011 on. It became a major issue on both sides of the ball. Now the Jets still have alot of holes & missing parts...Rome wasn't built in a day.

If anything it appears they have at least removed a major weakness from the team's structure. We'll see if it becomes a strength moving forward.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Speed has been an issue at LB and RB. Both positions have had significant upgrades in that regard.

Athleticism was an issue at RB and the OL. Again both areas have been upgraded noticeably over the winter and spring.

What it all means is not clear but assuming that Goodson makes it to camp the odds are pretty good the Jets are going to be quicker and more athletic in the trenches and the middle of the field and that has to be a positive change.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

eric smith disagrees

20. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Eric Smith was fast as it gets... we are stupid as hell for letting a future hall of fame player walk like that.