The Press Conference I Dread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, Jun 1, 2013.

1. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

"I think Mark gives us the best chance to win"

2. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

The Jets are obviously willing to go with whoever is the best QB on the team regardless of wether they are a veteran or a rookie.

By rush i assume you mean, why is he even being put in a circumstance to start hen he should be benched no matter what for being a rookie?

The Jets want to know if either is the future of the team, and they are still in a mode to win as many games as possible. they want to go with the best no matter what.

While Sanchez can play better he's not earned the trust to be THE guy as of yet(he's not Kurt Warner to Smith's Manning in terms of potentially good rookie riding the pine behind a respected veteran) and thus his next best competition has to be given an honest shot.

The stigma of benching a rookie regardless of playing ability doesn't apply anymore, and Smith seems good enough to be better, so they're going to test that theory.

Plus they'll want to know NOW if they should be looking up QB prospects next year, or if ES3 looks promising enough to develop.

If Geno is good enough to run the offense better than Sanchez then he will, the team will have honestly picked the best man for the job.

Not saying that happens, but theres no reason not to start him immediately if he's better, theres only more to gain.

I don't really consider myself completely in that camp, but whatever. it wasn't the reason anyway.

3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Anyone who says Sanchez or Geno is clearly better than the other at this point has an agenda. All the good Sanchez has done has been canceled out by all the bad he's done. Geno is a giant question mark.

If one QB is clearly better than the other, play that one. If training camp comes, and the offense is as brutal as it was last year with no QB and no talent, you play Sanchez until it becomes impossible to do so anymore.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The point at which it will no longer be possible to play Sanchez is the point at which the fans are booing as he comes off the field at the end of a series. That will be the first series next year when he looks bad and the offense looks bad.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No. It would have to be something squarely on him. Fans boo, without knowing what really happened.

And every positive series or win, buys him two more.......after 2 or 3 wins early on, the discussion is moot absent a collapse.

And to be honest....its not that I like Sanchez, (i think hes a good player) but....the lack of incompetence at the play calling level counts for alot, so I dont see it happening.

6. Br4d

It's not going to have to be something squarely on him. If the Jets go 3 and out on the first possession next year the fans are going to be murmuring if Sanchez is the QB. That's the reality. That's what his play over the last season and a half has created.

He has no leeway at this point. He has no cushion of good will. He has no suspension of disbelief about his abilities as a QB from the average fan.

He got booed at a Knicks game just for being a spectator caught on the big board. What do you think is going to happen when he takes the field at a Jets game and things don't go right?

7. Hobbes3259

Fans dont run the team, and winning cures everything....

8. Br4d

Yes, but Hobbes, the Jets have sucked with Mark Sanchez at QB since December 2011. They're not going to win enough with him at QB to avoid having the disease get worse over time.

Go back and look objectively at what he has actually done since mid-season in 2011. He's been under 6 YPA in 14 of his last 21 starts! That's not an NFL QB and it wasn't all Sparano's fault or the no WR's last year. He was under 6 YPA in 4 of his last 8 starts in 2011.

He just blows chunks at this point. You can't win with a QB who can't get to 6 YPA on his passes in more than third of his starts. You can't "cure everything" when most of his games just look like more dreck.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well football is a business predicated on fans buying tickets. If fans dont buy tickets because they dont want to watch a certain QB, then the money brought in by the organization will reflect that fan base opinion. If I've learned one thing about Woody, its that he's a business man first... And then way way back there's football. Woody cares about his profits.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

*grabs popcorn, unfolds lawnchair*

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

that's exactly what he will say if he's named starter. But I'm 100% confident he will only be made the starter if he wins the competition end of story...he will not be handed the job this year...he's going to need to earn it this time. and for the first time...

if he throws 0 TDs and a bunch of picks in preseason mark will not be the starter and i'm not sure he'll even be on the team come week 1.

some of the reasons for marks failings the last 2 years are fair..some of them...but fail is fail and this is the NFL, nobody cares why...what's the result...

Mark has to earn it now or he'll be watching games with Tebow.

12. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I feel exactly the same way. I doubt REX will really give Geno a chance. I can see that they are not giving McElroy any chance so far at all. So much for a fair and open competition. I really do not care who our QB is as long as we win!

13. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Why would Rex commend Sanchez for being the first guy out?

14. Hobbes3259

:rofl2:

Ticket Sales? You're joking right...?

Man, oh man....

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I would like to believe that but I don't. I worry that the lame duck Ryan will convince himself the only way to keep his job is to keep his star attached to his hand picked guy.

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I personally believe the opposite...given Rex's situation I think he realizes he needs to separate himself from Mark.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Unless U consider MS or Geno a SB winning QB then what is this entire discussion about? :sad:

18. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

What do you even do?

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

1st build a OL that any QB will have confidence in. Then find a QB who can make smart split second decisions & carry those decisions out & up to now what I have seen of MS or GS neither qualifies in that regard IMHO :sad:

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

no, im sure he is serious. i mean, we brought tebow in for ticket sales