WR Depth Chart - 2013

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Spike_D, May 14, 2013.

1. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I believe Nicks will be a FA, and so will Emanuel Sanders and Maclin. Nicks could replace Holmes, but not sure we pay up for him, when we have so many holes to fill even after the year. I see our big FA target as Jimmy Graham next year, with the money we have open. Graham gives us the dynamic TE playmaker, with Hill and Kerley maturing, and then we can take a shot at a WR in the draft. Hopefully, he doesn't resign with the Saints.

2. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Love the idea of Graham in an Jets jersey. I'm on board 100% with this!

3. NFL

NFL Active Member

I'd like Graham, but usually for big name targets like that you usually over pay them too much. I was looking at Kenny Britt. The guy has had some legal issues, but you can't deny that he's produced when he's on the field. I know we have some good money open for next year, but I'd rather take a guy like Britt who should be on his way out with all the recent receivers by the Titans, than a guy like Nicks.

4. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Yeah, Graham would really go a long way to making our offense explosive.

Britt can work out, but it's sort of a catch 22 here with him. If he was a FA this season (and we had money), it would've been a great add. But for him to retain the same bargain value, he has to under perform his abilities. And if he does underperform (or injured), then that would be three years where he hasn't been able to live up to his abilities. If he lives up to his abilities, then he's getting paid major money anyway. But Britt, Hill, Kerley would be a very nice WR group.

Well, one of the few bright spots of having a young QB playing is that he's vastly underpaid (especially if he's drafted in the 2nd rd), so we have a bit more leeway to sign guys to contracts that are more than what they are worth. So by the time that say Geno needs to get paid (ofcourse, this is assuming he works out, otherwise all this talk is moot), we could be a few years into Graham's contract, and we can possibly front load the deal as far as cap hits go maybe.

It really depends on how the defense works out, IMO. If Rex can play up Miller, we can still have a relatively cheap defense that is still good. And we invested in the OL this draft, so atleast have depth there. Next year, our focus is LBs and offense. And no other player out there would turn around our offense better than Graham. If we can put Graham/Cumberland (or Smith, depending on what he does this year) out there, we upgrade from one of the worst TE groups to possibly the best.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't see how Graham hits free agency next year. Even assuming he doesn't get paid by the Saints the TE franchise tag isn't exorbitant. It's $6M this year and likely will be a bit higher due to Gronk's deal next year.

I'd expect the Saints to make him an offer similar to the one Gronk got and then tag him if he says no. Given two years to make a deal I'm thinking they get it done.

6. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Updated with the Ben Obomanu signing.

7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Just looking trough this thread again I must say, this is the most concerning position on the entire team. The front office has neglected to support our QB position continually (notice I did not mention any names) by turning a blind eye. Lets take a look into the cap hit for 2013 .Not saying that spending more money would fix the problem (need to draft and develop too) but compared to the money we are spending on the DB's... Should be closer

WR's
    Holmes $9.0
    Cumby $1.3
    Hill $1.1
    JK. $.600
    Gates. $.555
    Winslow $.555
    Obomanu$.555

13.6M

DB's
    Cro $6.5
    Wilson$ 2.0
    Landry 1.2
    Lankster .655
    Trufant .555
    Walls .555
    Bush .500
    12m

*Revis Dead $ 13.0* = 25M

This is why Revis had to go. Hopefully we can trim Holmes number, develop Hill and keep Cro's $ manageable

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cue the bring back braylon screams

10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

It's becoming more clear to me that we will start game 1 with Hill and JK on the outside and Gates in the slot. I feel sorry for whoever starts at QB for this team...so yes, Bring back the Beard

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Bray-lon Ed-wards *clap clap, clap clap clap*

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That's not a bad idea at all. Barden was pretty good when given the opportunity last year. I'd welcome him, but we'd have to make a trade with the Giants to get him, though, since they resigned him.

edit: just realized this was from 2 months ago. ha. Okay so lets bring back Braylon already. It's win win. Do it early instead of later! The "idiots calling shots" have all been fired!

#72 Barcs, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No. Kerley needs to be in the slot. Think Welker.

Gates at least has straight line speed. Thats why Braylon makes better sense, if Holmes cant go, hill can stretch, and Edwards will catch everything intermediate.

Hill and Kerley are good to go, edwards as the third (absent holmes) or the fourth, would make a solid corps.

But...in all fairness I havent seen Ben play, but if Sanchez is under center, you go with chemistry.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Braylon Edwards this year will be Plax of 2011. He might help in the red zone but I doubt he is going to be getting any kind of separation between the 20's. I love bray for what he did in 2009-2010 but I think that ship has sailed. look for a constant rotation of t.c fodder this august until we find some players at wr.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think kerley is a slot guy but he just had his best season playing mostly on the outside. So I dont think he needs to be in the slot.

16. He makes sense in the slot while in 3 or more WR formations given his size & quickness.

I do agree w/ you however that he has displayed the ability to be effective on the outside as a playmaking #2 type.

Bottom line is you can line him up pretty much anywhere on offense & he can make a difference.

17. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, but he had his best season in only his 2nd season... It's not like you're comparing it to a large body of work, you're comparing it to a rookie season where he only played sparingly.

His best fit appears, to me, to be in the slot due to his elusiveness and shiftiness. He doesn't have top-end speed, but runs is quick enough for the inside

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Good point. For some reason I thought he was around longer than that.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

There will be a whole other round of wide receivers hitting the markets....probably over 100 good players.

Here's a list of our WR'ers. Which ones can we keep? Which ones will we be forced to cut or move to the PS?

Every team has the same thing going on.....and every team will have at least one good WR they love but have to cut.....and Idzik will be ready to pounce.

4 Collins, Joseph WR 6-3 200 25 1
    89 Davis, Marcus WR 6-3 233 23 R
    19 Gates, Clyde WR 5-11 197 27 3
    18 Hazelton, Vidal WR 6-2 209 25 1
    84 Hill, Stephen WR 6-4 215 22 2
    10 Holmes, Santonio WR 5-11 192 29 8
    11 Kerley, Jeremy WR 5-9 188 24 3
    16 Mayo, Thomas WR 6-2 205 23 1
    15 Obomanu, Ben WR 6-1 204 29 7
    9 Rogers, Zach WR 6-0 172 22 R
    86 Ryan, Titus WR 6-0 193 29 1
    85 Spadola, Ryan WR 6-3 200 22 R
    83 Stroud, K.J. WR 6-3 205 23 R
    17 White, Jordan WR 6-0 215 25 2

Is anyone familiar with what good WR'ers might lose the numbers game with their own teams and end up a Jet?

20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

God I can't wait to get rid of Holmes once we finally get a good receiver. I've never seen a player half-ass it as much as him.

Last year, even though he barely practiced with the team, Braylon Edwards and Mark Sanchez just had amazing chemistry. Sanchez sucks at throwing to everyone else, but he always seems to throw the ball near Edwards' hands.