NFL records, which isn't safe?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 1968jetsfan, May 25, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

A question. Which NFL record do you consider the least likely to be broken and which do you think is most likely to be broken. Either single season or career?

These are the records I don't believe will ever be broken as long as the NFL rules remain as they are.
    Paul Krause's 81 career interceptions. In todays pass friendly rule structure I don't see anyone getting close to that number. Ed Reed is the closest active player and he's still 20 picks away and he's 34 years old, if he played till he was 37 he'd have to equal his career average of 6 picks a year and he'd still miss the record.

Brett Favre's 336 career interceptions, unless someone is as dynamic as Favre was and as big play capable noone will put up with that many picks over a career, he is also by far and away the #1 in this category by nearly 60 picks and more than 130 ahead of the next highest active player.

Brett Favre's 71,838 is probably safe, but with todays passing game it's not totally safe. But still when you think about it a player would have to average 3,500 yards a year for 20 years...not too likely.

Most likely to be broken, Favre's 508 TD's, today's passing game puts that within reach.

2. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I disagree a little bit with the 81 career interception record. Let's say Reed plays till age 40, that would give him 6 years to get 20 picks to tie the record, and 21 to break it. I can see him getting at least 6-8 picks this season if he's healthy.

I agree on the 508 TD record because of today's passing league. I can even see the 71,838 yardage record being broken with today's passing.

3. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Peyton only needs to play three more seasons to beat both the 71,838 and 508TDs.

Even factoring in a bit of decline, he probably breaks both in 2015.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Krause and Favre on the interceptions is as close as you'll get for now. However it would be very easy for the game to change a bit and become more high-scoring with less heavy contact and then I'd expect interceptions to rise dramatically in that environment.

You can't sell predictable flag football to the masses. The NFL would have to give the DB's some leverage to make the game interesting to watch. Bunches of passes for a lot of TD's and more interceptions than we'd consider acceptable today as a byproduct of that change.

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Most rushing yards by a QB. Someone will beat Vick's record sooner or later in this league.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Single Season passing record will likely be challenged every year. I don't think anyone will beat the single season rushing record though.

7. Jetsfan 128099

Steve O'Neal's 99 yard punt

347 wins by Don Shula

The Undefeated Season by the Dolphins

Jerry Rice's 208 Touchdowns

I would say Drew Brees' 54 consecutive games with a TD pass,
    but Brady is at 48 and will pass it and then some.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

hehe if we keep on marching sancho out there he will be at 336 ints in no time!

consecutive games played will not be broken for quite some time.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Most likely to be broken is Favre's TD record. Peyton only needs 72 more, which is easily achievable for him.

10. Khan

Khan Active Member

Reed play til 40? He's contemplated retirement like 3 times already, if not more.

But I also don't think the career rushing record will ever be reached, both because of increased passing and most teams limiting and moving away from a "workhorse" runningback. Peterson would have to get really lucky avoiding injury and continuing to play at the same level (averaging around 1,500 a year) for 7+ more years and I just don't see that happening with his aggressive style.

#10 Khan, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  11. RKO

RKO New Member

Least likely:
    Rice's reception record
    Rice's Yards record
    Rice's TD record

Calvin Johnson may get close to the yards record if he plays into his late 30's and Larry Fitz could get close to the reception record if he switches teams. Moss would have had a chance at the TD record had he not made problems in NE and got himself traded... With that said, I don't see that record ever falling unless we go to an 18 game regular season.

Most likely: Passing yards for the year. Receiving yards for the year(Calvin broke this one last year and I think he can go even higher, he played with broken fingers last year) Consecutive games with a TD is going down next year(Brees holds it now, Brady is damn close) Strahan's single season sack record will go down soon, guys have been getting VERY close and had Justin Smith not gotten injured, I think Aldon Smith would have broken it this year.

There's probably a lot more, these are just off the top of my head.

12. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Umm hate to burst your bubble but megatron did beat the the rice record...

The rushing record will be broken soon i feel, sack record too

#12 NYJalltheway, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  13. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

He meant career receiving records, not single season.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Brett Favre's pick record is not safe if Sanchez keeps playing.

15. Jetsfan 128099

With the passing offense today, I don't see anyone breaking the
    2000 Ravens allowing only 165 points in 16 game season.

Most points in a game by a single player; Ernie Nevers, 40 pts; 1929

Jim Brown's 5.2 career yards per carry

16. Khan

Khan Active Member

While obviously not in the same league as Jim, Jamaal Charles technically qualified and broke his record this past season. He's only got a third of the carries overall so far, so there's always the chance it drops over the rest of his career, but as of right now he's the official record holder.

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to imagine breaking Favre's 300+ consecutive start streak as a QB.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I feel like any single season passing records or receiver records will be breakable with the way the league is becoming.

Any defensive records over a season like ypg, ppg, etc will be tougher to break almost unbreakable if the offenses keep on progressing and given advantages

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

There is no way in hell Ed Reed plays 3 more years, nevermind 6! The guy is playing on fumes. If he still had game, he would still be a Raven.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Devin Hester punt return TDs.

He's got 12 and still going, next active is Pac Man Jones with 5 and who knows if he's going to play again.

Patrick Petersen had 4 two years ago but none last year.

_