Best QB from the 2004 Class?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Murrell2878, May 9, 2013.

?

Who has been the best QB from the 2004 class?

1. Eli Manning

45.0%
  2. Philip Rivers

1.7%
  3. Ben Roethlisberger

53.3%
  1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Who has been the best QB from the 2004 class? Manning, Rivers or Roethlisberger?

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This is a very good question. First thoughts without looking at stats, overall:

Big Ben.

But his conduct off the field causing him to miss 4 games and hasn't played a full 16 game season since 2008. So, I think that should be a minus from his career. Hmm this will be fun to look into. Good question.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

1. Ben
    2. Eli
    3. Rivers

I don't even think Rivers is in the discussion w/ the other 2 at this point.

4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Eli has had the most improvement over the course of his career. A decade from now, I think people will consider Eli the best of the class, though right now most people would probably say Ben.

5. nyjunc

Eli has had two outstanding postseasons(one outstanding, one very good) but he's ben far too inconsistent throughout the reg season and the other postseasons he made. If he was more consistent he'd be #1 but each week you never know what you will get, one week it's a guy as good as any in the league, the next week he's making rookie mistakes.

6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Eli
    Ben
    Rivers

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Like everyone else, I think Rivers has regressed, and should be 3rd in this discussion, if that haha. Actually check that, he's 4th.

Matt Schaub should be 3rd. I know he has also regressed, but felt like he's overall in his career been better.

Eli would be second due to his inconsistency, and slow start to career.

Ben though not an iron man, has played thru so much, and gotten away from so much pressure, kept plays alive, and is the reason that they at least contend every year.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What a pisser, we were one pick from having Roethlisberger fall into our laps. Not sure we would have taken him with Pennington on board though.

9. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

1. Roethlisberger
    2. Manning
    3. Rivers

10. nyjunc

Chad hadn't suffered the rotator cuff injury yet so I don't think there is any way we take a QB in 2004 no matter who fell to us.

11. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

This coming from the guy that loves a QB soley for what he "did" in the post season. Classic.

12. nyjunc

has Ben not won 2 SBs and been to 3? I weigh big game performances pretty heavily but that's only part of it.

Thank you for being a fan.

13. displacedfan

Wow, I though Rivers was 3rd slightly but I didn't think everyone disliked him so much. Philip had a "down" year recently, but man has he been really good over his career.

14. nyjunc

he's a stat guy who always melts in big games. He's had an incredibly talented roster and has only made it as far as the title game once and they made it after he got hurt and billy Volek led the GW drive. Rivers is well beneath Ben & Eli.

15. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Rivers isn't a part of the discussion.

16. displacedfan

I wouldn't say he melts in big games. He's had his struggles like all QBs. Big Ben and Eli have played worse in a big games and their team has gotten wins where SD hasn't pulled out the win.

He got bad luck partially tearing his ACL and trying to play on it. I wouldn't heap praises on Billy Volek, the Colts D was terrible that day letting the SD offense walk all over them with Rivers and obviously without Rivers.

It really depends what you consider big games, I'll take the totality of 121 games instead of x/9 "big" games where he melted.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Big Ben against the Seahawks was awful. Eli while inconsistent always plays big in big games. Tough decision but I'm going Big Ben despite his first SB. Ben is a 3rd down master, a quality that I believe sets him apart from Eli

18. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I agree that Eli has been inconsistent when compared to Ben, but I think that's more a reflection on the Giants as a whole rather than just Eli. Ben has had a consistently GREAT defense backing him up and had a great running game early in his career. The Giants have been up and down over the years and I think Eli's performances reflect that (ie you're going to throw more INTs if you're constantly playing catch-up). I'm not saying that this excuses Eli's mistakes completely, but I think it should be taken in to consideration.

19. FriendlyGiantsFan

I agree with you completely on Schaub being better than Rivers. Hell, if the Texans win a Superbowl it's not impossible that people start to think of him more highly than Ben and Eli.

Ben isn't an ironman and I think that should count against him to an extent. I also think his game has suffered in recent years due to injuries lessening his once outstanding physical talents. Time will tell, but I believe (and also fervently pray) that in a few years people will look on Eli as the significantly better QB due to how he was to continue to elevate his game & play at a high level despite being older.

Please note that I'm also praying for another Superbowl or two. As long as I'm asking, right?

20. FriendlyGiantsFan

Amen to that. Rivers had a GREAT team around him early in his career. Once the talent level of that Schottenheimer/Smith assembled roster started to vanish, Rivers fell back to earth. GMs and HCs work together in terms of talent assessment and acquisition; it's pretty obvious that Smith isn't as good without Marty.

Rivers is a very accurate passer who lacks mobility and arm strength. He also has an unorthodox throwing motion that Ernie Accorsi (Giants GM in 2004) thought might lead to premature shoulder issues. I do wonder if we're starting to see that now. I can't say as I watch many Chargers games, but when I have I've seen Rivers missing throws I know he's made in years past.