The Green Room

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Win4ever, May 8, 2013.

1. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

What exactly is the benefit of showing up to the green room in the first place? All of the top prospects who didn't show up to the draft have 10 different cameras in their house and they are surrounded by family. They get to control the reactions around them, come and go as they please, and not have to look desperate.

I don't think there is added exposure for you to all but walk on stage and get a picture taken with Goddell. If they are high enough prospects to be invited there, I doubt their goal in life is to get a picture taken with him. And with mobile media, interviews and media exposure is possible from the location of your choice. And ESPN, NFL Network, and anyone else that covers the draft would be more than happy to come and tape you.

I just don't get the benefit of going in the first place. All we really remember are the fallers like Rogers, Geno, Claussen. When was the last time someone was picked and you were like "God Damn, I really wish what this guy looked like?" or "It was a shame he wasn't there on stage!"?

If I'm a player that's not a surefire lock to be No. 1 or top 5 (ala say Luck and RGIII), I'd most likely want to just stay home and not take on the negative publicity. Although, have to admit, most of the publicity before this year for fallers tended to be more of a sad tone and turn the guy into a sentimental favorite for fans. Ofcourse this year, with us, the guy gets killed.

Staying home or at a family gathering still gives you 95% of the exposure, while taking away a good amount of the risks. Not sure why a bunch of guys go when there is a good chance someone drops.

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

On the one hand, good point.

On the other hand, you're a 21-year-old kid, and you have one chance to get that cap and cross that stage. Just one. It's now or never.

3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

A first or second round pick is still a pretty good accomplishment for a young kid. Even if you drop, it's still a NY party.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

The experience man, its like going through 4 years of college and not going to graduation

You've arrived, that jersey is your gown and that hat is your cap, Goodell is the dean and the fans are new family, except Jet fans who boo their picks.

5. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I agree with your latter comment but since when has a 21 year old MAN been categorized as a "kid"?

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And if you are Jewish you re man after Bar Mitzvah. Doesnt make it so.

Most 21 year olds are kids.

7. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I guess that's the mantra of today's liberal America, keep lowering the standards that people should be held to so as not to offend those who cannot live up to them. ::rolleyes

8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I guess its similar to graduating college and showing up at the graduation ceremony. You don't have to do it but its a "ceremonial" way of showcasing your hard work and achievement. Its not only a big deal to the person but his entire family. Much like getting a college degree, getting drafted into the NFL is a life long dream for these guys. To finally make it to the NFL, and getting drafted early, no less, is a huge achievement that should be celebrated and shared.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

An 18 year old is a man, but if you honestly think that at that time he's ready for 'manhood', well...I don't know what to tell you.

21 year old me thinks 18 year old me was immature and foolish. 26 year old me will most likely think of 21 year old me in the same light.

10. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

We come here for Football, leave your politics at the door.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Its like a graduation from college football...Most of the time its a big deal for the families

12. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

13. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Did you really just call Hobbess a liberal? lol, that's funny right there.

14. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

When you're pushing 50, every player on the field is a kid.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

if I was projected to go in the first I would go just for the experience. if it was late first, early second you stay home.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If I was projected to go in the first, I'd tell my fambly that I was golfing that day and get a bunch of hot strippers to hug up on me every time the cameras turned on.

17. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Is it really that much of a big deal though?

These guys are pretty much the big man on campus, so they can bang any broad that they want there, so it's not like being there enhances much. And they'll be on TV and get millions anyway, so I doubt it has that much of an appeal.

I figure, you go there, sit in the green room, meet with some teams maybe, and you just sit there. Not like he can do much else while being there. He can still party in NY or wherever with the money he'd make, so it's not like a once in a lifetime opportunity for him, like it would be for any of us.

I sort of get the graduation point, but if you had a choice of sitting there for the graduation and being on TV for everyone as your name was called, or sitting at home with all of your family and still be on TV and everything, would it make that much of a difference. Also, on graduation, you aren't going to be there, if you didn't know that you were graduating. Would you still be there with the risk that you may not graduate that day, and possibly look desperate? I just don't see the gains with the risks involved I guess.

I would understand this in the early years, where media coverage wasn't that big. Where you wanted your face on TV, so fans can see you, get marketing deals maybe, etc. But with the advancements of mobile media, I feel like the Green Room is just a tradition that is being followed, rather than provide any valuable gains for the people that are invited, especially if there is some risk of falling factored in.

18. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I think its a big deal..... It gets the fans involved with the players and other teams fans there talking trash to one another. Plus its an experience of a lifetime . You can say I crossed the stage into the NFL where tons of Hall of Famers once did the same. Those pictures they take alone are worth it for your personal pictures. Its most of these kids first Jobs in their lives and somebody is gonna pay you a lot of cash ill sit im that green room all day long.

19. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

As a guy not from New York who's been to the draft twice, I think it would result in major regret to not go to the draft when it's your year. It's a great time for any football fan to just attend, let alone for someone who is getting drafted. JMO.

20. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Member

haha exactly