Jake Steinberg: Coples now OLB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by YOYOYO, May 1, 2013.

1. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

The #Jets have moved Quinton Coples to OLB. #nyj

Via steinberg's twitter

Interesting if true. Is he a good enough athlete? Granted Rex puts guys all over the place but would explain why no OLBs were drafted.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We need a pass rusher so hopefully Coples gives us that. If he doesn't perform on the outside then that tells you this team should've addressed it in the draft.

3. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

If true, gotta wonder what Coples thinks of this...
    And let's see if this is a lead-up to announcing Kyle Wilson repositioned to safety.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wow, isn't Coples like a 285lber?

i trust they'll find an effective way to use him. but i gotta say, i never understood that draft pick. Still think his best position is like a Justin Tuck 4-3 DE sliding to DT on passing downs.

5. Eljetfan

Eljetfan New Member

wasnt he drafted to be our OLB

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Interesting... Very curious to see how they use Richardson too.

I really feel like the 4-3 would make a lot of sense with this personnel too

DE: Quinton Coples
    DT: Muhammad Wilkerson / Antonio Garay
    DT: Sheldon Richardson / Kenrick Ellis
    DE: Calvin Pace

WLB: Demario Davis
    MLB: David Harris
    SLB: Garrett McIntyre

7. Bills_AFC_East

Bills_AFC_East New Member

He has the athletic ability to do it, but he has always been a better interior rusher. A lot of talent up front for the Jets, Im sure Rex Ryan will have those guys playing top 10. I wouldnt worry about your defense.

8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

This is intriguing just because he is playing OLB does not mean Rex Ryan has to drop him in coverage. So if he is able to do everything well as far as rushing the passer and stuffing the run, why not transition him to OLB and have him KISS and allow him to grasp how he is going to play the outside;; for reference how big is Pace compared to Coples?

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

yeah i'm really curious what types of defense/personel combos they'll use.

I was also thinking more 4-3, but i'm not so sure now.

If they do go 4-3, i'd envision to look more like this.

DE: Wilkerson
    DT: Sheldon Richardson
    DT/NT: Antonio Garay/Ellis, with Coples sliding in on passing downs
    DE: Coples, with Barnes/MacIntire on passing downs

WLB: Demario Davis
    MLB: David Harris
    SLB: Josh Mauga

We'd be weak at the LB level, but very strong on the line.
    Might even have to switch Harris and Davis, as i'm not sure if Harris can go sideline to sideline with enough speed.

10. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

That's probably the best comparison you can make for Coples. He is a very unique player in that he is athletic enough at 285 lbs to play OLB and strong enough to be an inside presence both against the run and the pass.

With that said, if this is true, I don't know if I like the idea of taking someone out of their comfort zone.

11. 73klecko

73klecko Member

It sure doesn't mesh with their mantra of getting faster putting a 290lb guy on the edge. Coples ran a decent 40 time at the combine (4.7's) but didn't test well in the other agility drills. I agree he is a better rusher from the inside.

I continue to be baffled by the pick of Richardson.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

why would the Jets draft a player at a position who they don't think is very good? when you need a player at a position, it doesn't mean just any player, it means you need a good player. if you haven't evaluated any players in the draft as worth drafting for that position, you don't draft those players or position because they don't improve the team.

so, no, if Coples doesn't work out it just means we need someone else at OLB, not that we should have drafted whatever OLB was available in the draft.

13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I feel like Wilkerson would generally play inside in a 4-3... I could see Richardson even kicking outside to DE there.

Actually, I could even see Richardson as a 3-4 OLB at times. According to his NFL.com scouting report, there were times he dropped into coverage at Missouri

14. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but being a 46 Defense would a OLB but nearly on top of the guard at times? I think we will see more 4-3 / 46 like fronts more

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

At 46, defense, SS and OLB will double-team the TE, so the OLB is certainly not on OG. With Coples out of the front line, Jets have Wilk/Ellis/Richardson as 3 down linemen, I guess.

Frankly I can't make much sense out of it - but then I am a football laymen. The guru is with the Jets, so he will find a way to use them effectively. (Probably in completely unforeseen method, I am sure.)

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Coples had most of his success in college playing DT. This would be an interesting development if true.

17. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

This article says he will play OLB part time.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/5/1/4291252/quinton-coples-to-outside-linebacker

DL Coach Karl Dunbar stated via Twitter that the team would remain in the 3-4 defense but would occasionally be moving Coples to the "rush" linebacker position, which is presumably where Steinberg got his information. Dunbar said that he would remain Coples' position coach and indicated that it is not a full time thing.

#17 ajetsfan4ever, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  18. Cmart24

Cmart24 New Member

I'm way more interested in who the hell will play FS this year? Antonio Allen is better used in the box, is Josh Bush their answer? That worries me.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

rex did have him running lb drills at his pro day and he does like his 3-4olb's big so this shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

this isn't a big deal,i trust rex . this isn't like mangini trying to fit drob in at 3-4 nt. coples has the speed to do it.

i just wonder where pace,barnes and mac fit in the rotation

20. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Unleash the DL this year