TOJ: Rex 2.0 is Here to Stay

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fozzi58, May 1, 2013.

1. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Linky: http://turnonthejets.com/2013/04/rex-2-0-is-here-to-stay/

Nothing said is not the truth. Anyone who thinks Rex should be shit-canned should think twice. I have no problem wearing my man-crush for Rex on my sleeve like a badge of honor. But for those of you thinking its green colored glasses making me feel that way should take a step back and look at the big picture.

This could be the long term stability at HC this team really needs. Whether you think Rex is a clown or a baffoon or a blow-hard - you can't take away the fact that he's a defensive genius who has the ability to learn and morph into a top HC and offensive genius as well. If the hated former HC of NYJ can do it, there's no reason Rex can't.

In Rex we trust 2.0

2. BleedGreenDaily

Who would people get to replace him... I mean come on no one out there I think could turn it back around right now other then Rex.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ryan/Sanchez 2013..

4. BleedGreenDaily

I think Rex needs to get fat again. I think he was a much better coach as a fat guy. Lol

5. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I like fat Rex better, but i see no reason to replace skinny Rex. His biggest failing is letting the players talk too much shit, but I can live with that for the great defense and attitude.

I have enjoyed Rex's time here more than any other coach. The only other decent coach I remember is Parcells. We got pete carroll way to early

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Good article. Hits the nail on the head.

If you're Woody Johnson why would you fire a head coach who got you to the AFC championship game twice in a row, representing the best finishes by a Jets team you owned?

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Barring a melt down season, i believe Rex should and will receive an extention.

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I love Rex Ryan. He should be coaching here for years to come.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, Rex isn't getting fired unless the bottom falls out. And he shouldn't. I really like him and when we start winning, he will attract a lot of new Jets fans with his confidence.

10. lightning

lightning Active Member

Yea i think its time that we got some new fans :lol:

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Finally, a common sense write up.

12. PaPZ187

PaPZ187 Member

Great article.

I never understood how so many blind fans just form their opinion from the media and don't look at the situation to asses themselves.

Rex took what is widely considered a "shit quarterback" and went to two AFC title games. Year one he was missing his most explosive offensive and defensive players going into the year (Leon and Kris Jenkins) due to season ending injuries. We have never had a pass rusher. We have never had elite talent at running back, LBer, Safety (other than Rhodes year 1 and he wasn't playing at his peak), QB, etc....yet we were still very successful. That says something.

If your going to form an opinion on a player or coach then take into account what he has to work with, see the production he gets out of the talent, then compare it to his peers.........you will get a more accurate picture of how well he is at his job then judging him on his tattoos, his sex fetishes, etc.

Sent from my LG-P999

13. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Rex is not going to be an offensive genius anytime soon. He probably won't be too much better than an offensive retard which is what he is now. If MM is the right OC for the job Rex needs to stay the hell out of playcalling and time management as much as possible because he's just clueless about them. He loves to go attack and tear to shreds the modern NFL offense and he's one of very few guys that can actually do it and that is expressed in how conservative and antiquated his own offensive philosophy is. Part of it was surely due to the previous 2 OC's systems but the massive amount of strategic mistakes shows that Rex doesn't really know how to design on that side of the ball.

If the coaching staff can make something like that work I'm all for Rex staying long term. Especially after this draft I'm increasingly confident that Rex will be able to realize his dream and put together one of the best defenses of all time one of these years. Losing Revis hurt but Milliner might become one of the best possible replacements and it let us add another explosive DL in Richardson in the process.

However, until Rex shows that he can create a decent offense under his regime it won't mean much.

14. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

Rex is a good coach with a great defensive mind. Fire him, and we will likely end up with someone who is far worse. We finally have a decent OC, so let's keep Rex. He motivates the players. Not his fault that Tanny set the team up for a collapse. He also lost his best players on both sides of the ball (Revis/Holmes) for the entire season last year. Considering all that, a 6-10 record is not bad.

Keep Rex!!!

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

all very true points. however, here is the big problem. if rex isnt on the hot seat the story line is greatly diminished and does not make as good a story. qb controversy is ok. qb controversy with a coaches job on the line is great and easier to write about. so,like it or not rex has to stay on the hot seat in the eyes of the beat writers

16. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Soon? No. But a few years with Wig and maybe another top flight OC and Rex could be very good.

While his genius is in the defense, you have to know something about the opposing offense in order to counter that offense. Its not so hard to take a play your "top ranked defense" whiffed on and incorporate it into your own offensive playbook.

As it has said before, the NFL is a copycat league.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep. To replace the fans Tebow took with him..

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex's DNA is a huge problem as his daddy self-destructed and his twin got bounced from the 'boys in very short order. Ryans, for whatever reason, just don't seem to have that longevity thing dialed in yet when it comes to coaching. Their mouths often becomes their worst enemy.

That being said, I like Quiet Rex more than Foghorn Rex by a long shot. Quiet Rex doesn't bring unnecessary pressure on his team. Quiet Rex doesn't give the media material to use against him. Quiet Rex so far seems to be staying away from controversy and that in itself is a good thing.

Now that most of the circus has gone, its up to Rex to make sure it stays that way. Crazy Tats? Hopefully not. Vids? pray that none are out there. Players doing and saying whatever they want whenever they please? Not lately and perhaps Idzik has a lot do to with that.

Quiet Rex still has a lot to learn about coaching the entire team instead of being a glorified DC. At least he's gonna give it a shot and more power to him if he pulls it off. If a extension happens, it probably will be before the 2014 season begins based on what happens this upcoming season. If they extend Quiet Rex, I'm ok with that as long as he doesn't bring the circus back. If they extend Foghorn Rex, we'll be having a different conversation altogether.

19. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Good read. I was a huge supporter of Rex, but he kind of lost me the last couple of seasons, as it appeared to me he lost his team, and wasn't in control of them. I am willing to give him another shot though. Personally, I am tired of a new coach every 4 years.

20. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Of course he knows more about offense than probably anybody here ever will. But he doesn't think about offense from the perspective of designing his own and maximizing team results off of it, but rather from the perspective of tearing it apart as a defense. He sees what everyone does with their offenses and he plans against them but for whatever reason that doesn't translate into making his own teams' offense difficult for defenses to beat yet. Maybe he'll learn it in time. Probably he'll never be that great. Either way, he has to get out of the way until something changes and have somebody that can run the show well in his stead. Neither of those are givens right now.