2014 is the year of the Quarterback

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I know I'd take McCarron, Bridgewater, or Murray in a second. Each played lights out against stout defenses in big games (McCarron at the NCG, Bridgewater @ Florida, and Murray @ Alabama). All big time QB's with much more impressive resumes than Geno Smith. Next year's draft looks LOADED.

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

This is such a dumb topic for 2 reasons-

A) Lets actually give Geno a shot before we think about the NEXT QB before he's even taken a snap at OTA's.

and

B) Things change tremendously in a year. This class was looked at as a very good QB class thats "loaded"... Barkley, Bray and Jones were looked at as definite 1st round prospects. A year later? Not so much. No other position can change like the QB position in a year.

smh.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's too late. Whenever the Jets try to grab a passer, it is always during the worst possible draft for a QB.

They could have bitten the bullet and waited a year, but now they have stuck themselves with Geno Smith.

Sanchez - weak QB draft
    Clemens - weak QB draft
    Pennington - weak QB draft

Since Woody bought the team, they always blow their load in a weak QB draft.

They are doomed to finish .500 in 2013 and draft some bust wideout in desperation next season.

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

How was Pennington a bad QB? Pennington had it all as a QB except physical tools. If he had good physical tools he would have been Peyton-lite.

5. abyzmul

Didn't you just answer your own question?

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL You literally just answered your own question within your question

7. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Thought he was saying how we chose bad years to pick up QB's. Sanchez and Clemens sucked for sure, but Pennington was a good QB despite being in a weak QB draft.

#67 Jets4eva9011, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad was Peyton-lite until the injuries mounted. If he'd stayed healthy he had a chance to be a very good QB.

9. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Geno will have just good enough of a year to go 6-10. The Jets will be the 8th pick. The good QBs next year will go picks 1, 3, and 7. Jet life : (.

10. Br4d

The 8 pick will still get the Jets a play maker to go with Geno and that's what they'll likely be targeting.

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Tyler Bray and Tyler Wilson are were all considered first round prospects before the season started last year... and then the season started. Slow down and give Geno a chance to put his pads off first.

12. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

I would first ask, "what percentage of QB's drafted in the second round become good NFL quarterbacks? Probably around 20% at most. Even if you think Geno was a good value, you are still looking at a 25-30% success rate.

I am not rooting for Geno to fail or anything, but I must admit that I kind of thought we were going to wait a year to draft a QB. But this is how it panned out so all we can do is shrug our shoulders and hope for the best.

But if we have the opportunity to draft a blue-chip QB next year, I would do it. No more first round picks on defense unless they are by far the BPA...

13. abyzmul

Oh come on.

He was a short-range QB from day one in the NFL. I remember people asking where that long ball went when he came into the league.

Let's not fool ourselves, his range was in question from day one, pre-injury. He was accurate, and his mid-range passes were decent, but his long ball sucked.

People wondered how he lofted those high-balls to Moss on a weekly basis.

Stop wetting your dreams about pre-injury Pennington, because he was a short-armed QB from the start.

14. Br4d

Chad was fine in the middle ranges in 2002. He was replacing Vinny and just about anybody would look like a popgun after that. Vinny had one of the strongest arms in the league.

I'm going to give you two lines of stats from 21-30 and from 31-40 in 2002. You tell me which was Tom Brady and which was Chad.

21-30 - 35 throws at 37.1 comp pct, 9.14 yards per attempt, 3 TD, 2 Int
    21-30 - 29 throws at 24.1 comp pct, 6.48 yards per attempt, 2 TD, 2 Int

31-40 - 13 throws at 23.1 comp pct, 9 yards per attempt, 0 TD, 1 Int
    31-40 - 16 throws at 18.8 comp pct, 6.31 yards per attempt, 2 TD, 2 Int

See my point? Lots of QB's have middling arms and get by on other things.

I think if Chad had stayed healthy he was going to be in Brady's class as a QB when all was said and done. I don't think either of them were ever in Peyton Manning's class.

15. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You're also leaving out the games where McCarron and Murray had bad/average games against good competition. McElroy looked good with that team, too, and McCarron arguably has more talent around him. He's a better QB than McElroy but still.

Bridgewater is the only QB in next year's draft (if he comes out) that appears to be clearly ahead of Geno. Murray and McCarron are at a similar level prospect. Boyd is there, too, and so is Manziel. It's clearly a better QB class by a long shot, but Geno is in the Murray/McCarron/Boyd group. Gun to my head, I take Boyd and McCarron over Geno and Geno over Murray. Bridgewater is clearly a better prospect. I want to see another year of Manziel and Mariota before putting them ahead of Geno for sure.

Next year's class is more loaded, but you have to take a shot sometime. Getting Geno in round 2 doesn't cripple the team moving forward. 2015 may have some good QBs, too, if Geno doesn't work out.

Bottom line, given the 2nd round selection, Geno's tools, and the offense we will be running, I don't mind the Geno pick. I'm not a huge fan of his, but where we got him is fair, and QB is such an important position, you need to take chances.

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Anyone that thinks McCarron is a better prospect than Geno Smith is smoking crack. I hate Jets fans sometimes. Give the kid a chance. He was a second round pick, we've wasted much higher picks before. It was the obvious selection to make.

17. Br4d

Yep, you have to take chances. Geno is growing on me some at this point and I always thought he was a top 15-ish talent in this draft. I'm glad the Jets didn't take him at 13 and I'm just tickled pink that he fell to the 39.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

:beer: I agree

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

Once teddy or johnny realize we have the #1 pick they're going to opt to stay for another year anyway....moot point, they have that option. Thank peyton for that blueprint for success

20. NYJetsfan56

NYJetsfan56 Member

Logan Thomas might be a high pick too.