A logical view of this draft class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Apr 28, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I will agree with almost everything here, except for the comment that the Jets have a better chance of being 16-0 than having the first pick. I would buy that the Jets have a better chance of making the playoffs or even getting to the superbowl than having the #1 pick, but 16-0? No. In the past 40 years there have only been 2 football teams to have perfect regular seasons. (Yeah I know I'm knitpicking). the reality is in todays football I put the Jets chances of reaching the Playoffs at about 20% and having the first round pick at about 5%.

The Jets, on paper anyways, are not a match in their own conference for the Patriots, Bills or Dolphins, in terms of complete teams. I do think the Jets will have the best defense in the division, but I don't think the defense this year will be elite enough to offset what figures to be a substantially weaker offense than the other three divisional rivals, at least this year.

But still, I give the Jets a 1 in 5 chance of making the playoffs this year, and it's that low until we see how what is becoming a very young O-Line and young D-Line settle in and more importantly how the QB play settles in.

2. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

lol my bad dude, it was kind of an exaggeration

3. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

I love how you are so confident that Geno Smith will be a failure in the NFL what makes you think this exactly. I would love to hear you explain yourself

4. cambam71

cambam71 Member

Oh - so we're supposed to take your biased - paraphrased evaluation as proving your own point. Check.

And...Link.. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22122218/simms-geno-can-be-a-star-glennon-could-be-surprise-of-qb-class

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

My only problem, and it's a small one, was taking CB with the 9th. I was hoping that one of them would still be on the board at 13th and Idzik would trade down with SF. They needed CB, Jets needed picks.

I cooled off over the past couple of days because 49ers proved to be very stingy with picks so they might not have traded up anyway.

6. Megadyptes

Megadyptes New Member

Coples

Is there a change coples going to OLB? I know he played some snaps standing up on the outside last year. Then the Richardson pick makes a lot of sense

7. skipper

skipper Member

Maybe not OLB for Coples, but he could be a terrific pass rusher as an end in a 4-3, which is the direction I think we're going in. Add to that the fact that Davis and Bates (sp?) are too small to be OLB's in a 3-4 but would be dynamite in a 4-3 or a 46 and we have an intriguing possibility. FTR I don't think Rex will go with any one set alignment, he loves mixing it up too much, but I'm sure we'll see a 4 man front often this coming year.

By the way, for the Rex haters, get used to having him around. We would really have to stink to see him gone and with this draft it is MHO that we will not stink. It mostly hinges on Geno. He comes in mid season and lights it up and Rex is here for another half decade. and I don't think that's a bad thing.

8. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the updated Undrafted Free Agent list for the Jets???

9. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

Great picks, at first I was confused at the Richardson pick, but when I look at it, the guy lead all interior Lineman in tackles, and was all over the field almost every game, kind of a knuckle head, but the guy is so explosive, you can see it on tape, other than that I loved what we did in this draft added a lot of talent to our depleted roster

10. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

How many former all pro players are head coaches, scouts or gm's? Not many at all. You don't have to had been a great football player to be a coach or a gm or scout. Shit look at Michael Jordan, best basketball player of all time. His team is one of the worst in the nba. Let geno play before you start criticizing him

11. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor New Member

Will Campbell - I know most of you probably don't know much about Campbell, and I wouldn't expect you to. I have watched every Michigan game for the past umpteen years and have some ties to the Michigan Football program. That being said, this is my breakdown of your 6th round pick.

Campbell has 1st round size and strength. He has 1st round talent. He has had 6th round production. He dominated high school by simply being stronger than everybody and found out, the hard way, that doesn't fly in college. He needed to be worked with and taught fundamentals (stance, pad level, etc.). The problem is, as most of you know, Rich Rodriguez completely neglected the defense. Take a look at the turn around Campbell has had under and NFL D Coordinator (Greg Mattison). He has completely transformed his body and attitude and the results followed suit.

Don't be fooled by the felony charge he had last year. You won't find a better personality. He was one of the most liked guys on the team last year. He tried to pull a Duke's of Hazardesque hood slide as a joke, but 340 pounds doesn't tread car hoods too well. There was no chance that felony charge was going to hold, and it didn't.

Campbell's biggest issue in college was technique. He was not good at "playing low". A switch to offensive line might be huge, because 50% of the time you aren't trying to be low. If he plays guard for you guys, then that number increases (leverage isn't needed when you pull). He moves pretty well for a guy his size, so I think he will be fine with a transition to guard.

Lastly, he is very young. He was an early enrollee at Michigan and also graduated a semester early. He graduated with a 4 year degree from them University of Michigan in 3 1/2 years, at the age of 21.

12. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

If he turns into a Brandon Moore type guard for us (Moore converted from DT to G), then that would be great.

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Great post

14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

How Jets fans suddenly forgot lol, if he turns out to be a Brandon Moore type this is a huge steal for us.

15. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor New Member

As cliche as it sounds, the pick is low risk-very high reward, IMO. Campbell has size (6'5 308) strength (35 reps of 225), and athleticism that you can't coach. The areas Campbell needs to improve are coach able and if the talent that put Campbell as Rivals.com a 5* and 26th best player out of HS can be tapped, Campbell might be a lot more than just camp fodder.

I'll admit I look at the glass half full, though. There are some Michigan fans that will cling to the "lazy/bust" tag, but a college Junior that drops 42 pounds (was 350, down to 308) and keeps its off shows me the kid has drive to him.

16. United_Jets

United_Jets Active Member

The reaction to Geno Smith is ridiculous but unsurprising. It's a reaction caused by the fact its the Jets - anyone else he would have been considered a steal. While, along with Manti perhaps, he was the most polarising big name player, almost everyone had him as the first QB going and as the best on the board. I have no idea if he's the heisman trophy candidate who threw for 40+ touchdowns, a zillion yards and 6 INTs or a guy with 'a poor work ethic and slow eyes' but as we took him in the second round, it'll be not the end of the world if he doesn't work out and steal of the century material if he turns out to be great.
    My Only concern is if Nassib or Glennon turn out to be better (can't believe how late they went..and we probably won't know much about Nassib for several years)

17. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

The fact that Nassib's own coach passed on him while they went with Manuel speaks volumes as to what he feels about Nassib.

18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Unless we're switching to a 4-3 or Kenrick Ellis is suddenly Vince Wilfork, we still need a 3-4 space eater NT to anchor the middle.

Richardson doesn't look like he can fill that role. He looks to be strictly a 1-gap penetrator. He has a good motor, and has shown he can get off blocks against smaller linemen and make plays in backside pursuit, but he doesn't have a good anchor.

Bauer said he he fell in love when he saw Richardson drop back into coverage and run sideline to sideline on one play. If you're relying on your 295 lb D-lineman to cover TEs and slot receivers and chase down ball carriers 15+ yards down the field, you've got big problems.

#38 al_toon_88, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  19. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

Ellis is 6'4" and 346 lbs. Wilfork is 6'2" and 325 lbs.

20. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Is he half as good as Wilfork