Start Geno or wait...?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Apr 27, 2013.

?

Should we start Geno next season?

1. Yes

104 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No

160 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I don't think there is an exact science on what to do with a rookie QB. Sanchez was thrown right into the fire and failed, but guys like RGIII, Luck, and Wilson all succeeded.

On the other hand guys like Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, etc all sat for it least some period of time as well.

I think it all depends on the player.

I'm leaning towards sitting him for the first half of the season or something like that just to let him learn the offense and watch it in motion from the sideline.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is pretty much how I see it. The Jets should start the season with Geno Smith if they've got a Goldilocks scenario going: not too hot, not too cold, just right.

If Smith looks very good in camp then you start him. If Garrard looks better but gets hurt then you start Smith. In almost every other situation the Jets and Smith are better off letting Garrard get some early starts so that Geno can watch from the sidelines and learn and adjust.

Unless the Jets catch lightning in a bottle though they really need to get Smith on the field at some point next year and not too far along in the process. Even if Garrard is playing well if the Jets are losing games they probably want to put Smith in by game 7 or so.

Yeah, he could take some lumps on a bad team but nothing is served by having Garrard QB a 5-11 season if that is where the Jets are heading. Get the rookie some looks and let the team evaluate him well in that case.

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Especially with people saying next years QB class looks strong, the Jets need to leave this season having some type of understanding of what Geno Smith is as a player. Unless of course Garrard is playing well AND the Jets are winning football games and making a playoff push or something.

4. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

Totally agree with this.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, there's no way the Jets should go away from Garrard if he's playing well and they're still in playoff contention. This isn't like a Kurt Warner/Eli Manning situation where the franchise has clearly invested in the franchise QB and must get him on the field.

Coughlin threw the playoffs away in 2004 when he put Eli out there. Warner had the Giants at 5-4 and 8-8 made the playoffs twice in the NFC that year. Eli went 1-6 down the stretch. Two Super Bowls though. That's what getting Eli on the field was aimed at.

The Jets have a 2nd round pick tied up in Smith. If Garrard has the magic touch next year he stays on the field. 9-7 could get you to the MetLife Super Bowl.

6. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

This is true, but guys like them were also surrounded with more/better talent than Geno would be if he started Week 1.

7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

True, I think the main thing though is the O-Line. Everything will eventually fall into place once you have a QB and a strong O-Line. Even without elite offensive weapons at other spots on the field. As long as the receivers are capable (which I think generally they are assuming Holmes comes back healthy and ready to go).

I don't think Luck and RGIII had great skill position players around them (although they are definitely better then what the Jets have).

8. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I want to sooo bad ! but idk if its worth it.. maybe he should leanr the WCO playbook first,i dont wanna just throw him out there in pads and say ok geno.. play like brady. but at the same time we has the ability to start and do good now.

9. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Feel like we should see what he does in camp and how comfortable he looks

10. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Well he is a senior from college, so he does have more experience than say Sanchez coming out, so I don't think we'd have to completely coddle him on offense if he's in there.

I think we go into camp with a competition, but Geno looks the best out of them, and just wins out. I don't have much faith in Garrard, I didn't think he was all that impressive when he was playing 2 years ago, so I doubt he improved by sitting at home. Sanchez is Sanchez, so unless he's on the deer antler spray diet, I doubt he's doing much either to impress. Tebow isn't a QB, and Mcelroy will have no real shot. Simms is nothing.

I do see them letting Geno start, because it's pretty much the only way we're going to stay relevant. The fans won't go out to see Sanchez throw interceptions, but people will definitely tune in to see if Geno has it or not. I'm not sure he SHOULD start, but I think he will.

11. snipes824

snipes824 Member

Start Garrard for 8 then Smith for 8.

12. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

No brainer, start Geno. At least we'll have something to watch next season. I have no desire to watch a 35 year old David Garrard lead us to a 6-10 season. WTF is the point of that??? Might as well go all in on Smith and see what he has. It's now or never for Geno, otherwise we take a QB in round 1 next season.

13. RKO

RKO New Member

I want to see what happened in Seattle last year.

Competition for the starting job between all the QB's. It worked for them, Flynn was the high paid QB( Sanchez 2.0), T-Jack was the veteran( Garrard 2.0) and Wilson was the young guy from the draft. Wilson won out and things worked out great.

Not saying Smith will be Wilson but let him compete for the Starting Job and take it from there. If he proves he is better then Sanchez/Garrard, let him take the reigns.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It's a no brainer--start him. The best thing the jets could do is take the cap hit and cut Sanchez and Tebow AND GET A NEW IDENTITY! Right now all the media talks about is either Sanchez's butt fumble or how Tebow was misused. Cut 'em both--take the cap hit and move on. The Colts started Peyton Manning from day 1--he had a TERRIBLE rookie year and look what he went on to accomplish. You grow and learn a lot faster by PLAYING. We' re not going to the playoffs next year (despite what Geno predicted)--Why have him carry a clipboard?

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Let Geno compete and if he earns it let him start but I'd rather wait til the bye week so has 2 weeks of preparation and gets to see the field from a different view. I wouldn't even dress him the first 4 weeks I want Geno to earn it

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Because I think some guys learn in different ways. I don't think its a no brainer to assume he won't learn anything from sitting and watching for at least a couple of games before he goes in. There are many examples of players that support both arguments though.

Sanchez and Tebow absolutely should be cut at the appropriate financial time. The Jets need to distance themselves from all that ridiculous QB controversy garbage. This is going to be Geno's time. That's pretty clear.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I hope the Jets aren't making any decisions based on what the media is talking about. You have him carry a clipboard if he isn't ready to play and putting him in would damage his psyche and potentially turn him into a lost cause.

Geno needs to prove he's ready and earn the starting position IMO. I happen to think he will, but that's another question.

18. John

John Active Member

I heard this on ESPN and i feel like we need to do this with Geno. Rg3 started off with a very simple playbook in begining of the year and progressively got harder and more complex. I think we should start Geno and build the playbook around him. And i know we dont have the best weapons but Holmes, Kerly, Hill arnt as bad as it is. We just had tons of injuries at Wr last year. Next year i say we sign Jimmy graham to a lot, and either trade up or do whatever it takes to get the top WR in the draft and surround Geno with talent. I think we have to cut Sanchez and tebow this year to get an identity and get some media out of the way.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Agreed especially with him being our likely QB of the future he really needs to wait on top of that the first 8 games are killer

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Redskins traded 3 first round picks to take RGIII 2nd overall behind the best QB prospect since John Elway at #1 overall. There was no way in hell RGIII wasn't starting day 1.

Geno was a 2nd round pick and there are 2 veteran QB's on the roster.

Completely different scenarios.