The Gutting and Rebuilding of the Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Apr 28, 2013.

1. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

It was pretty interesting to see the Jets finally unfold their rebuilding plans for the offense. Obviously the big switch was from Tony to Marty M and the WCO. What was less obvious initially was what the Jets were going to do come draft day. Looking at the entire off-season through the draft in its totality is to see a GM systemically dismantle and rebuild an entire offense.

First off, Idzik decided that 2013 wasn't the time to waste any resources on the WR/TE position without the QB position being decided. I think this was a wise choice. Identifying Brick and Mangold as core of the interior of the offense and building on that with the 1-year contracts to Colon and Peterman was a good start. Idzik is smart to rebuild the offense from the inside out vice the other way around. A new QB can have all the weapons in the world but without a solid offensive line it means nothing. It is clear the Jets are banking on 2 of their draft picks to seize control of the guard position by 2014. They turned the RB/FB depth chart on its head with the additions of Ivory, Goodson and the newly drafted FB, who by all accounts is a good fit for the WCO.

Although they haven't stated, this is going to be a multi-year rebuild for the Jets. The hope will be that the rebuilt offensive line and running game along with Rex scheming a defense will allow the offense to slowly come along with Garrard in games 1-8. At midpoint, the Jets will make a decision if they will start Geno based upon his progress or let him sit the entire first year. I can't envision a scenario where Geno starts day 1 - I think the Jets learned a valuable but painful lesson with Sanchez in that when you don't bring these guys along slowly, without competition and with enough weapons they can't develop long term.

This entire process also means that Sanchez, Tebow, and Ducasse likely don't even make it to minicamp. You don't spend a #2 pick on the QB and 3 picks on the OL to bring back underperforming incumbents. The quicker Idzik cuts the losses the faster the Jets salary cap improves.

On one final note regarding the so-called "Quarterback Controversy" that is an entire media creation - the only QB controversy for the Jets right now is that they don't have one. The media has a narrative and they will shape the facts to suit that narrative. I don't know if all of Idzik's moves or draft picks will work out but I give the guy kudos for clearly committing and implementing a logical and systemic plan to fix the team.

2. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

I think you're right. Going into this draft, Ferguson and Mangold were the cornerstones of this offense. By focusing on the line in the draft and in free agency, the Jets are making sure their best players have what they need to be successful.

The receivers, although thin, were probably the second best group on offense. I would say Holmes, Kerley, Hill, and even Cumberland are fine for a team in rebuild mode. Instead, the Jets opted to solidify the backfield between Ivory, Goodson, and a competition between Hilliard and Bohanon. Stealing Geno Smith in the second round is icing on the cake. I feel good about the way the offense is moving, and I really think it could be a pretty good offense come 2014 with time for these players to work together and a couple early picks in the next draft.

3. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Next season, hopefully we can draft a big time play maker like Marquis Lee (WR) or Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TE).

4. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

While it seems obvious that Sanchez will be shown the door ... i think it is even money is he the opening day starter. What do the Jets have to lose. Geno clearly needs time to learn, and if Mark has a good year, they can always deal him next year while he is still under contract, or decide to keep him for that matter.

5. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Sanchez still is likely to start. Ducasse not make it to training camp? No way. He's cheap and was drafted high. Even chance he strats at guard, but definitely won't be cut. Tebow is history although I wouldn't mind holding on to him as long as he understands and accepts he is not in the QB competition. At his salary though, likely cut.

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Great post klecko. I also think that Rex as the longterm coach is in Idzik's plans. We wouldn't have drafted Richardson otherwise

7. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Great post. I totally agree that Idzik has started a total overhaul of this offense. And that is exactly what we needed. I am so happy he isn't just moving money back a year,cans picking up a few plug in players to appease the fans.

The approach he is using will probably result in fewer wins this year, but will hopefully lay the foundation for sustained succession the future.

This draft is exactly the fresh start we needed.

8. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Only thing I have to disagree with is. I think Ducasse will be competing for a starting spot in camp.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

It is refreshing seeing people post like this. I am completely on board with Idzik and his way of going about this rebuild. Games are won in the trenches and he is building a dominant DL and OL.

Rex will be here for a long time and I see Marty being here for a while as well. I have the biggest feeling he takes Geno under his wing and makes the kid a star. The jury is still out on him, but there is a TON of upside with Geno Smith. Picking him in the 2nd was glorious. Low risk high reward. If he doesn't pan out, we lost a 2nd round pick and next years draft will be filled with QB's. Many on here feel that was a reach, but I think it was a perfect move.

I love Idzik so far. We needed a GM like this

10. cambam71

cambam71 Member

While the back-to-back-to-back OL really did 'irk' me a tad (because I wanted a WR/TE of some sort - Swope?) I'm okay with it the day after.

So many young QB's adapt their style so much due to being on the run/on their back consistently. It can ruin a QB's chances at being effective (see: Sam Bradford, young Carson Palmer, young Matt Stafford), while some can rebound, it slows their development.

Brick and Mangold are solid, Colon is a good stopgap, and hopefully some of these guys will pan out - maybe even Winters can start at some point this season.

Hopefully Hill finds a pair of hands, Holmes has an awesome year (so we can deal his ass), and Kerley continues to develop into that playmaker we hope he can be. Bring back Edwards, because hey, he 'wants' to be here - and we're at a lack for that at the moment, and is a decent option.

11. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

If we had gotten Stedman Bailey, it would have been too perfect.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Excellent post, my 2 cents on the matter is why does everyone assume we won't be competitive on offense? the only 2 spots that are possibly going to be filled by a rookie is the guard position.

If they decide to keep MS, they have a 4 year starter, the RBs are all seasoned and so are the WR and TE, as long as they stay healthy and can pick up MM offensive system the offense should be better than it was last year.

As long as we don't have gates and schillens starting, I think it will be better.

13. AlToon

AlToon Member

What makes anyone believe Rex will be here long-term? A majority of the fan base thought Revis was going nowhere. Sanchez would get a chance to redeem himself. That's not going to happen. Idzik would re-sign some of the free agents to keep the team competitive. He let all of them go. Rex better utilize the young D-line properly or the next coach will run a 4-3 D. Idzik has the Jets on the right track but this team is in for a long season which is fine. They are rebuilding.

14. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I think we need to gut the header on the site. Revis, Greene and Sanchez are probably not the best representation of our team right about now...

15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

this regime is not married to that draft pick. cutting him would be easy for them.

16. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

True, but why do that?

Let him get an opportunity to compete. I actually think he could be decent at least at RG.

17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I think Rex could be here beyond this year, provided the team is decent and he stops sounding like a babbling idiot at pressers. But I also think Idzik could bring in a compadre like Bevell from Seattle. And he would know what kind of QB Bevell likes, and what kind of personnel he would be looking for. Maybe that is why he held off on skill receivers this year? Who knows? I don't think Rex is a lame duck. But I don't think he is on real solid footing.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

i think if Rex can pull off a .500 season he will save his job and look to beef up the offense next year.

Holmes will get the boot and we will add a FA WR and draft a WR + TE with high picks.

I like our RB situation at the moment, i think we have good depth and can beat the opposition a bunch of different options.

Sanchez should and will get a chance to redeem himself this year. If not Rex has to pull the trigger and give the rains to Geno. Sanchez has done more good than bad for this franchise and even though he had a piss poor year, he did beat Brady and Manning on the road and reached 2 conference championship games.