A logical view of this draft class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

I decided to make a post a day after the draft has ended so all immediate emotions are out of the equation. A lot of people bash on a pick right as it's announced because of their emotions.

Dee Milliner- Initially this pick wasn't liked because it didn't help with an immediate need, but I think people are starting to lighten up to the pick.At first glance, people say our pass defense was 2nd in the NFL, why was a CB necessary? Well if you look at it, our pass defense was really only second because we faced the jaguars, the cardinals, the titans, the rams, the dolphins twice, and the bills twice. Those teams don't throw the ball well. Als, when you're like last against the run and ranked high against the pass, of course an OC is going to run it more compared to throwing it. Also, the addition of Dee Milliner gives us much more flexibility with Cromartie in the future, he solidifies the CB position for many years to come. Also, I know there are injury concerns with him, but he's only missed one game in his whole college career. It's not like he is playing WR/RB and getting hit every single play

Sheldon Richardson- A pick that got a lot of jet's fans angry and maybe rightfully so at first glance. This kid plays the 3-tech in a 4-3, while we play a 3-4. Also, with Jarvis Jones on the board, it might of made more sense to pick him. In full honesty, Sheldon Richardson is a stud and that still isn't doing him justice. When you watch the film, he literally jumps off of it. He even man handled alabama's offensive line for like 11 tackles and a sack. Say what you want about Rex Ryan, but he knows what he is doing with defense. Clearly he had a plan with Richardson when they drafted him. Also, Jarvis Jones wouldn't of addressed BPA, it would of addressed need. I don't like his bend, he's too undersized to be a 3-4 OLB, and it too slow to cover. Only time will tell, but I think we made the right move.

Geno Smith- The most controversial pick of the NFL draft, and in my opinion, the most important. If Geno Smith gives us even a 20% of being a franchise quarterback, you HAVE to take him. Franchise QB's set up the franchise for the next 10 years and they are extremely tough to get. Geno also fits the system in the WCO as he has the zip on his ball to his those intermediate routes. He also has great anticipation, something crucial for the WCO. This isn't Tony Sparano anymore guys, Marty can great play out of Geno Smith. We'll see how this plays out. Also let it be noted that great QBs don't need to come from the first round. Andy Dalton, Colin Kapernick, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees are just some current QBs who are good and weren't first round picks. Also stop talking like we are getting Teddy Bridgewater. We have a better chance of going 16-0 then getting the first overall pick

Brian Winters- No one seems to argue with this pick as it really solidifies the offensive line. Something that I find interesting is how people kept pushing for Chance Warmack at pick #9 (and are still angry about it), but we addressed the guard position in round 3. Seriously, if Chance Warmack is an All-Pro guard for the next 10 years, but Brian Winters is an above average to top 10 guard, do we win more games because we drafted Chance of Winters? I say no

Chris Ivory- I'm still up in the air on this Chris Ivory trade and only time will tell. In round 4 you still had some Running Backs there with Marcus Lattimore and Johnathan Franklin. The thing is though, Chris Ivory is a proven commodity. I understand he's been hurt a lot, but the dude still averages 5.1 YPC. He run's extremely physical and can make defenders miss. Let's say this doesn't pan out, it's still just a 4th round pick and it's not the end of the world. Overall, I think I'm for the trade and hope it pans out.

For the picks round 5-7, I'm not going to sit here and type about players I don't know much about. It seem's like they give us a lot of depth at O-Line and that's extremely important.

#1 Dom, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

I think the Jets had a good draft. To me it appears as if the GM and Rex were swapping picks.

3. Montana

Montana Member

Your whole post (a) could have be put into any of the plethora of threads already discussing the draft (but I realize people's ego's force them to start their own threads to discuss whatever it is crossing their mind, regardless of whether there is 20 threads already on the topic)....and (b) BPA.

When you draft the Best Player Available, you don't need to rationalize how a pick "fits" into your team.......you're taking the best players on your board, period.

Which is precisely what Idzik did, all three days.

4. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

To be fair, when there have been hundreds of posts in these threads it's easy for posts like this to get lost.
    And what he said needed to be said, imo. To much negativity and knee-jerk reactions.

5. Jets3399

Jets3399 Member

All great points and well said. You shouldnt have to read through every thread to state you opinion.

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Great post. The one pick I don't like is the William Campbell pick. This team can't afford to take projects right now.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

logic and rational thinking don't hang around this board too much

that said we went into this draft with questions at:
    qb
    ol
    dl depth
    cb
    s
    olb depth
    rb
    te
    wr depth
    we had 8 picks and drafted:
    qb
    dl
    cb
    3 ol
    fb
    and traded for a rb
    so out of the 9 positions we had needs in. 6 of them will be answered along with some extra depth in the o line.
    the skill positions will be better because of the improved o line play
    the lb's will be better because of the force in the d line this year
    the safeties will be better because of the pressure the front 4 will bring
    and the corners are at worst the same as last year after revis went out.
    idzick poured the foundation this weekend,next year will be about the fun stuff

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's possible that the Jets have a different plan than we're looking at right now for Campbell.

He played OT in high school. He may be a jumbo TE in the Jets eyes in the role that Wayne Hunter played (well) before he was exposed at RT.

It would give Campbell a roster spot this year at a position the Jets do not have covered and they could go a bunch of different ways in his long-term development.

I'd be very surprised if the Jets drafted Campbell thinking straight G conversion.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

A 2nd round pick has about a 20% of just being a starter at some point, a QB 2nd rounds much less. The Jets had lots of 2nd round QBs and they sucked.

You're actually talking a 20% franchize QB, LMFOA. How many of those have the Jets ever had, how many even exist in the NFL. What an over estimate, if it was 20%, he would have been picked by another team long before we picked him. I'll say he has a 20% chance of still being on our roster when his rookie contract expires. Which will become a better chance if he sits a year or two.

The is a seat filler, and a shot at the moon. We would be lucky if in five years he is what Sanchez is now, a place holder for the next great hope.

10. cambam71

cambam71 Member

I just don't understand your logic....

So - you're so sure that Geno is going to be a bust huh? What exactly are you doing for a living? Why aren't you our head scout?

You also knew Tom Brady was going to be a HoF QB from the 6th round I'll suppose.

How about you let the kid play in the NFL before you judge him? That would be a good start.

If you're that sure and upset about it, how about you go find another team to root for. It's not like we just drafted Colin Klein with the 39th overall.

11. JetsFan

I don't drink the koolaid thje media is puring. Watch the tapes, listen to the guys who actually played the position. I don't remember hearing any HOF, MVP or even SB QB ranking Geno Smith as thier pick as the best NFL pick. Geno looked to the sideline for everything, and when in the weather or on a big stage what did he do? Nothing

The poeple the all pros who played like were four other QBs. Those tv guys that never played can say all they want, but they didn't play and all they care about are stats.

Have some more koolaid

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Lattimore is expected to be on the PUP all year. San Francisco can afford to wait and we can't..period.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Thats because you don't pay attention. Trent Dilfer loves Geno Smith. Raved about how when he invited him to his QB camp the only QB that knew the playbook was Smith and how he knew it so well he could have taught it.

But don't let the truth get in the way of your negativity. Its pretty obvious you're full of shit when you say don't listen to the koolaid the media is pouring when for the most part all they do is talk ill of the Jets.

14. L3JET

L3JET Active Member

Thank god for your profile photo because all your other posts doesn't make any sense. Are you kidding me? What HOF, MVP, sports analyst, or bag-boy at your grocery store would have ever thought that Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick, where the best picks those teams drafted in the later rounds...?

#14 L3JET, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I was upset we traded a 4th for Ivory, but if it works out he'll be worth it. I like all our other picks except for Campbell in the 6th, he was destined to go undrafted, could have went with a Cornelius Washington or Bacarri Rambo.

16. cambam71

cambam71 Member

OH... http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322800251

Really...

Trust me when you're #8 playing #11 in Austin, in a new conference, when you're 5-0 and the media has been with you all week - that's a big stage my friend.

Sure - did things go downhill after that? Yes. Did he have a bad game or two? Yes.

The WVU defense was a swiss cheese defense at it's finest - it was truly frustrating as a WVU alum, fan, and season ticket holder to watch (also at the Texas game). Geno did his part all but two of the games however - it's hard to win when you HAVE to score every possession.

I'll take the 'bias' flag due to my allegiance to WVU if you want to throw it. Objectively however - I think Geno has a good shot to be a 'franchise' NFL QB. Do I think he is the next Peyton/Rodgers/Brady? No. Do I think he can be a Eli Manning/Kurt Warner/Steve McNair/Donovan McNabb style QB? Absolutely.

Give the kid time to adjust his game - I hope he comes in and wins out in camp - but if he doesn't - give him some time. I'm fine with him taking a whole year to adjust if it means he is what we need.

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Phil Simms knows a bit about QB evaluations. Phil is a SB Champ, former pro bowl QB, and SB MVP. Simms studied all the QBs in the draft and he states that Geno is the best QB in the Draft and that Geno has a good chance to be not just a starter, but a "Star"
    QB in the NFL.

Geno is going to be a great player for the NYJ - the haters will be crying and making up excuses - while Geno leads the Jets to success. Great Pick - could go down as one of the all time NFL draft steals.

18. JetsFan

OMG! you actually used Dilfer, the worse QB ever to be on a winning SB team.

19. JetsFan

OK, I totally agree about Sims knowing his stuff, but disagree about him saying anything remotely like that. On Thursday morning on XM radio, NFL channel, he gave a breakdown and said he believed Glennon was the most ready QB, Nassib was the best fit for the Jets (a leader in the huddle) and EJ Manuel was an unknown because he didn't look like he was incharge when in the huddle. When it came to his breakdown on Smith, he specifically mentioned his elevated stats and the six interception, and asked how did the kid even throw one INT last year. He never tried to fit a ball in a tight spot and only through to wide open receivers. He did not feel Smith would be able to step in and play. He played in a limited system. And looked to the sideline for the coaches reads. He stated Glennon played in the best pro style offense and has a cannon.

If you are going to throw names around, know what they said, and thanks for proving my point.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

To be fair I saw more of Kaepernick in college than any of these ESPN guys and I knew he was special the 1st time saw him. Wilson from what I saw not so much. I didn't like his size and thought he would struggle. I'm a believer in him and I'm not one of these guys that think last year was a fluke. Kid can play.