2014 is the year of the Quarterback

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

we could be looking at:

Teddy Bridgewater
    Johnny Manziel
    Tahj Boyd
    AJ McCarron
    David Fales

all going in the first round. maybe even Aaron Murray if he has a good season. if Geno Smith doesn't pan out (which I hope he does), who would you want?

EDIT: Oh damn, thought I was in the Draft forum. if a mod could please move this.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Can you at least wait until he's gone to training camp before seeking his replacement? God damn, this is like that fire Idzik thread.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll tell you next year....One year can effect their stocks ALOT, look at a couple of the QB's in this years draft and had they come out last year instead of this year.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Thats great right now, but some of these guys could pull a Matt Barkley too next season. No guarantee these guys will be top notch.

With all the QB's going high we need to get Marqise Lee or Clowney

5. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

If they continue to do well, I hope we get Marquis Lee or Austin Seferian-Jenkins next draft.

Add a huge playmaker to our offense.

6. feldspar

feldspar Member

Johnny Football will only be a Sophomore next year. He'd be stupid to declare at the point IMO, and I really don't think he will.

Teddy Bridgewater will be a Junior, so he may not declare, either.

Tons of football fans had that whole "suck for Luck" thing going on in 2011, and then he didn't even declare.

7. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Like I've said in a few threads, the Geno pick isn't horrible if he can be used as insurance for 2014 if we can't get one of those top QBs. We'll need to bring him along slowly and do the opposite of what we did with Sanchez but I won't totally rule out him being successful (although unfortunately I'm leaning towards the opposite).

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I could see Geno being successful in a West Coast offense. He has tools. I viewed him as probably a 2nd-round prospect entering the draft, and that's where he was taken.

And we'll see if Manziel, Boyd, McCarron, Murray and Fales are 1st-round-caliber quarterbacks. Odds are, two three of them aren't. But maybe someone comes from nowhere to become a top quarterback.

Quarterback is the most important position on the field. If the Jets have the chance to draft Bridgewater next season, you can still think hard about it, even with Geno. No reason Geno can't be as good a prospect as any of those guys other than Bridgewater. I would probably put most of those other guys over him, but it's not like there isn't a case to be made for Geno to be in that list.

And the two most appealing prospects in that list are both underclassmen. None of those quarterbacks at this point are as appealing as Luck or RG3, but Bridgewater is in the Matt Ryan/Matthew Stafford class at this point. That will change depending on how he plays next year.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Tanny is no longer in charge, Idzik will make sure Geno is groomed properly. We have the perfect OC for him and the organization is not the same.

If I'm wrong I'll admit it but I got high hopes for the entire organization

10. rcali2524

rcali2524 New Member

you guys are ridiculous. We just drafted a Qb who we have no idea how he is going to pan out in the nfl and you're already talking about replacing him. Ill tell you what there is no possible way we are going to draft a qb in the first round next year, whether geno starts at some point this year or not. The way Geno according to his head coach at WVU studies, loves and prepares for the game is top notch. Give the kid a couple years before trying to replace him already. Surrounded with a couple more play makers and solidifying the O Line, I have a great feeling Geno could be something special.

I am a season ticket holder and pay PSL's like most of you guys and I am frustrated beyond belief as well. Just sit back and enjoy watching this draft class develop. We have gotten a lot better then what we were before the draft. I will support this team till the day I die and I for one can not wait to see what Geno can do.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You have to be out of high school for at least three years, will he have been?

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Much of the same was said about Barkley, Tyler Wilson, and Landry Jones entering.this year. They were all first round talents.

There are a few top end QBs on your list, but lets see how next season plays out before lamenting the drafting of Smith.

13. Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood New Member

I really love Bridgewater. One of the best in college football at anticipating throws - throwing into windows rather than where his receivers are.

14. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

If Teddy Bridgewater or Manziel is on the board and the Jets are up we are drafting a QB in the first round next year (unless Geno takes off).

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

If this scenario happens and Geno takes off, perhaps we Jets fans will get to see something we thought would never happen.....a trade down.

16. Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood New Member

Considering the elite talent in next year's draft, there are going to be a lot of teams looking to trade up.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its not impossible that the Jets would draft another QB in 2014. That would certainly give them flexibility should they feel a upgrade from Smith is in order. I like what I saw out of McCarron in the BCS game. Looked like a pro-ready QB to me on the national stage.

18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Definitely going to have to consider it if an actual franchise QB is available.

19. NFL

NFL Active Member

I like Genos skill set too much to give up on him after one year.. even if he has a Tannehill like year. Looking at next years offseason, we can build him a solid core of receivers. We're looking at around $50 mill of open cap. Hopefully we can get a good safety and a receiver or two and fill any other holes.

Things are looking up.

20. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

If we have a franchise QB available and the only thing standing in the way is Geno Smith, drafted 39th, and off a Tannehill like year, I can't believe you wouldn't take the opportunity to grab him. I mean it's been 40+ years and we've missed out on every franchise QB because of bad luck, if Manziel has another huge year and Bridgewater keeps his play up, I don't care what we have to do you draft one of them.