My apologies to Idzik...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Apr 27, 2013.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I trashed him after the day 1 picks(which i still dont agree with) but he really did an outstanding job on day 2. Getting Smith at 39 without moving up, dealing our 3rd rounder for Ivory, and then added to our offensive line. those were all outstanding moves. we added the BPA(ivory better then any 3rd round HB), huge upside, and did it at 3 huge positions of need.

Still wish we got warmack and jones in round 1, but even still, we got really talented guys in round 1, not like i think they suck, just there were BPA at positions of need.

if Idzick can sell the team on cutting sanchez, and move one of our late picks for a higher round pick next season, he'd have done a good a job on draft day as any we have seen in the past 10 years.

2. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Apology not accepted. Our Day 1 Picks were AWESOME !!!!!!! Go buy a Sheldon Richardson Jersey - He is a BEAST !!!

BTW there is no need to "cut Sanchez" per se, Idz has already addressed this - there is going to be a real QB competition and we will see how it goes.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

At this point it would be more expensive to cut Sanchez. Might as well see what competition brings out of him... I'll be very excited to see what Goodson and Ivory can do in more regular roles. Looks like the offensive line is coming along too...

I want to see Braylon Edwards resigned and at least one more TE brought in... And the BPAs in the next three rounds.

4. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I like our first rounders. Our defense is on its way to being great. Just need a safety and an edge rusher. Smith is a question mark for me, but I really hope he works out. It was a 4th rounder for Ivory, which was a great move. That guy is a beast. We addressed our offensive line with a couple of free agent additions and with our 3rd round pick. I'm excited to see who else we take as there are still some big names left in this deep draft.

5. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Idzik has preached competition competition competition. Why cut Sanchez? So Geno has no competition? As of now Sanchez is the starter, lets not spoon feed Smith the starting role. Let him earn it, I rather have him sit a while too

6. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

I am beginning to agree with you about Richardson. i hated the pick at first, but I think it is kind of brilliant.

The d-line will be young and awesome. The d-backs will be good. The linebackers will be fine. This defense will be a top 5 defense next year, and maybe even top 3.

Now with a legit NFL qb, an improved o-line, and Ivory, if the Jets get anything out of Tone, Hill and whoever the 3rd WR will be, this team is making the playoffs next year.

7. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

The unfortunate part is that Rex loves Sanchez. Even with a competition, Rex might not give the job to the best player (Smith) or even the second best player (Gerard).

8. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

I've gotta believe this is one of our best drafts in years, by the sole fact that so many fans are pissed about it. Remember how excited this board was when we drafted Sanchez, and what a great pic Kyle Wilson was at the time.

9. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

They got Ivory for a 4th rounder not a 3rd rounder which was probably a little high, I would've liked this better if it was a fifth and they used the 4th to get a TE. But Ivory should fill a need, not sure what this says about our previous picks in McKnight and Powell, but I'll trust Ivory is an update to them.

The Geno Smith pick was a no-brainer, this guy had a high first round grade and fell to us at 39th because basically the medias assault on QBs in this draft class. If there was a guy like Luck taking all the spotlight and #1 pick, Geno would've quietly went top 10 to another team. Sanchez has the lowest QBR of any QB over the last 4 years, he's bad, really bad. To get a guy like Geno in the 2nd is great, if Bridgewater is there for the taking, we can still take him next year and trade Geno without killing our teams development. If Geno gets an opportunity and takes off we have our franchise QB. The fact that he was gotten in the 2nd without moving up makes it a low risk high reward pick.

#9 dr.velociraptor, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  10. MenOverGod

I'm actually fine with this. I mean do I want to see Sanchez out there fumbling. No. At least give our rookie some time, haven't we learned from Mark

11. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Yes, if you want to tank, fine, but Smith needs to get game time. Bill Cowher will need to know what he has in Smith to decide whether he needs to take Teddy or Johnny next year.

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If anything he should be apologising to us.

13. MenOverGod

Bill Cowher recently said he still believes in Sanchez...

14. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I agree 100%. Excellent post. Warmack and Jones would have been great.

I did not like the day 1 picks at all, but day 2 was excellent. Geno was great value and Ivory is well worth a 4th rounder.

15. jerseyjay14

there is a need to cut him. to accelarate his cap hit all to this season and get it completely off the books for next season, putting us in even better cap shape

16. jerseyjay14

both saftety spots still concern me and all of our linebackers outside of davis concern me. Our pass rush im not too worried about but id feel much better about being great if we had an elite pass rusher, or at least one you know will get you 8+ sacks.

its a good start though. we have soem good corners and a defensive line full of guys you can rotate, keep fresh, and get into good matchups

17. jerseyjay14

i'm not down on richardson... im down on taking a dlineman when i felt the BPA was available at a position of more need. i like richardson, i think he will be a solid pro

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

This is an excellent insight. when we traded up to 5 and picked nacho most of the fans on board were hugging, squealing and jumping up and down like schoolgirls at a bieber concert. the fact that the apparently hate geno is actually a very good sign.

#18 AbdulSalam, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  19. jerseyjay14

i dont see what competition sanchez provides that garrard and mcelroy wouldnt. Even more so when you consider the move to a west coast offense, which really dont play to Mark's strengths.

I mean the offense requires short accurary and quick decision making. are those not Sanchez 2 biggest flaws? Garrard has show accuracy in this league, and mcelroy is a competitive guy... those 2 would push smith much more then mark.

20. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I hope we can still manage to pick up Lattimore in this draft and bury him on injured reserve for the season. Idzik bringing in suitable depth at the position would allow for that but we might not have the pick because I can see him going before 5