Start Geno or wait...?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Apr 27, 2013.

?

Should we start Geno next season?

1. Yes

104 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. No

160 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I personally feel as though we should wait one year. I think Geno looks to be an excellent quarterback, but we shouldn't rush him with arguably an extremely tough schedule. Let Garrard deal with Revis, the Saints, Bengals, and other tough defensive teams.

What do you all think?

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

WAIT, WAIT...We are going nowhere. Let him settle at least for the first 8-10 weeks if needed.

Garrard starts or Mcelroy.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This may be premature, but if we are mediocre again I want Marqise Lee next year. Its time to help our future QB

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I said yes. Let him sit for the first 11 weeks of the season. Let him play the last six games of the season and see if we have sonehing to build around. If he looks terrible, draft another qb. If he plays well and shows promise, build the team around him.

5. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

I don't mind the pick, as long as we give him time to develop. Depending on how the season is going, I would consider giving him some starts in the last 3 games.

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Definitely wait. Otherwise we will ruin his development.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Honestly depends. If he wins in an outright competition like Russel Wilson did last year, then he would give us the best chance to win. I might lean towards having him develop for half the season or so, but with the addition of Ivory and hopefully a TE, the offense can be more capable than last year.

I wont be mad in either situation honestly. If they feel its best to have him sit, I have no problem with that. If he's capable of transitioning well, and MM can cater the offense towards his skills early on and work him in, thats good as well.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

If he's out best option to win, why not start him? What I wouldn't like to see is QB________ starting and helping us to lose, and Geno being asked to 'rescue' us.
    No throwing him to the wolves thank you.

Should be another option with this poll, wait.

9. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

As a couple of others have alluded to, I want him to go into an open competition, and see who wins.

The problem with waiting is that, he's not in an ideal situation to learn. Both Garrad and Sanchez have to be ultra conservative QBs with limited option on offense. I'm not sure what he's going to learn by having them ahead of him. If we had a really good but older QB that could teach by verbal instructions and by system play, then I'd be all for waiting. I think the ideal situation was with Rodgers and Farve, where they were both strong arm QBs that could play a similar style at a high level, so the learning curve was worth it.

But what exactly is a bust like Sanchez going to teach Smith? How to date? Because whenever Smith takes over, we're better served by incorporating more spread offense and a faster paced WCO than what we'd run under Garrard or Sanchez. Similar to what the Seahawks realized with Flynn and the 49ers with Smith, is that there is no point in trying to teach a young QB, if the teacher isn't educated himself in what needs to be taught.

This is also the reason why I thought Geno would go for sure to the Eagles. And I'm guessing they didn't pull the trigger because they couldn't unload Foles and didn't want to spend another pick on a QB so early, especially when they went out of their way to get the 3rd Qb there as well.

I see Garrard having the upper hand to start the preseason, but Geno could beat him out. I think the Sanchez train is derailed, and he's really just on the roster because of the contract.

10. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

WAIT A YEAR! I would cut Tebow and have an "open" competition between Chez-Garrard-Geno with a preference towards starting Garrard. If Garrard shows up in great shape and looks good in pre-season, then cut ties with Sanchez and go with the trio of Garrard-Geno-McElroy. Perfect set-up to let Geno learn Mornhinweng's system and watch Garrard for a year or two. If Garrard plays well and miraculously we are in contention, GREAT! We're in contention! If not, then GREAT! We use high draft picks to surround Geno with stud talent (Marqise Lee would be perfect).

The big kicker is if Garrard comes to camp and gets hurt again or is simply not showing anything. This is where it becomes kind of a circus. Can you start Sanchez with Geno nipping at his heels?

I'm anxious to see how this plays out, but I think Idzik is going about this draft the right way. Geno was waay to good of value at 39 to let go.

11. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Ain't there s'posed to be some sort of "QB Competition" bet. Sanchez, Garrard, McElroy, wack-@ss Te-blow and now the inclusion of Geno-minator?
    Again, why don't we wait & see who performs the best during training camp/preseason? Haven't we Jet-Junkies learned ANYTHING from last season's "Tim TeSux" disaster by designating a player as the "hier-apparent to a positional throne" without the benefit of scrutinizing & analyzing that individual's performance during training camp/preseason?
    I KNOW we all are STARVING for a qb with superior skills, talent & ability,
    but let's just wait & see how things work out b-4 we opine on who s/b our starting qb.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just start him. He'll be the backup next season anyway.

13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

It won't matter.. We will never win shit with him as QB.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Marquise Is A Beast

I hope we get him also he has special talent.

15. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

It's ultimately a wasted pick since we'll be a bottom 5 team and will most likely pick a QB. I say bench him for the majority of the season, let him learn the system, and hold an audition in the last 4-5 weeks.

He can be a somewhat decent insurance plan for 2014 if we can't get a QB.

#15 JohnnyThaJet, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  16. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

Smith might be better than Sanchez from day 1.

Why not play him.

17. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

We should wait, we need to get more weapons out there for him first. It will be hard for him to succeed with the type of weapons surrounding him, and it will hurt his confidence if doesn't play so well because of it.

18. Mason

Mason New Member

Rookies start nowadays. Time to throw him in there.

19. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Our d is going to be sick. The sack exchange is back .I say start him. We hsve a chance to fo sonething

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Just a wild guess here but based on some thing I am hearing since last night the three remaining QBs might be Garrard, Smith and Tebow. Sounds insane but don't be surprised.