Yahoo Sports: Jets clear $5.1M after restructuring Brick's contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the contracts and how they affect the cap, but from the info from this thread and nyjetscap.com Sanchez seems to be owed about $12.8, 8 of which is guaranteed (by us?), leaving 4.8 to be paid by whatever team acquires him, right?

If that's the case then that might not be a bad move for someone who will need to groom a QB for the near future. ARI can't think Palmer is a long term solution, for instance.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, just saw Hobbes' last post re: Sanchez's contract. Oh well, better to be stuck with Sanchez for one more year then be stuck with Smith for 3 or 4.

#21 Fiftynine, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

Lol @ anybody who thinks any other team would even give up a 6th round pick for Sanchez.

Dude would be lucky to get a workout offer for the Toronto Argonauts if he got cut today.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

very well could be wrong, but i believe cutting Sanchez with a post June 1 designation doesn't cost the Jets any more on the cap for 2013 than keeping him.
    there would be some dead money in 2014 of course.

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I would feel very, very, very nervous if I were Sanchez.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cimini saying he was asked to restructure because of the Revis trade and the dead money. The timing is way too convenient for that though...

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Why did this thread instantly turn into a Sanchez thread?

This is very good news. I just wish we resigned Keller. I wonder what we'll go for in FA or if this is just to counteract the Revis money.

According to ESPN, the Jets are looking to trade up in the 2nd round for a QB. I'd rather they didn't, since they have the 7th pick, but who knows, the Chiefs might want him. Geno Smith would have good 2nd round value. I would have flipped a gasket if they picked him in the first. I'd be happy grabbing Nassib over Smith, however. We need OGs badly, though. If we trade up, that's one less pick we'll have for that. What are we going to draft our starting OGs in the 4th and 5th?

#26 Barcs, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

We are freeing up some space to sign 3rd level free agents after the draft. There will be a run on guys after teams don't solve needS through the draft for one reason or another.

8. tzinc

tzinc New Member

you couldn't give Sanchez away

every team in the NFL knows he is crap

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It took less than half a page for this thread to turn into stupid people arguing about Sanchez.

I also saw people blessing Brick and calling him a team player. The guy restructured his deal to help the cap situation, that is true. But the only way you make that 2013 cap number go down is by moving some of it into later years in the form of instant guaranteed money.

He isn't a saint, he just agreed to get paid money now instead of later, if ever. I'm pretty sure Curtis Martin did it a couple of times as well, to help the team deal with that ridiculous Vinny contract, and people deified him for it.

They aren't doing it because they love you, they are doing it because money is cool.