What if Jets don't quite plan on going with either 3-4 or 4-3?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Can this defense be good?

Actually - I got this vision while in my sleep - this defense has a potential to be scary good. All of a sudden it all made sense to me.

So what is the plan?

How about 46? With Ellis/Garay anchoring up the middle, both Coples and Richardson on 1-on-1 with OGs, and then Wilkerson anchoring RT/TE on the strong side. (Since Coples has more experience, it would make sense to deploy Coples at RDT spot, so that if the LT does join double-teaming, it is Coples fighting off the double teams.)

Dawan Landry would be a decent fit at 46 position. Pace should be able to set the edge from the right side. With Harris up the middle, Jets should be able to get 2 LBs on the strong side.

This necessitates having good CB outside - which explains the Milliner pick.

Jets are missing FS - and that's where Wilson conversion comes in.

What do you think?

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It can definitely be good. That'll be quite a disruptive defensive line and a great trio of corners.

I'm sure they'll be showing all kinds of different looks.

3. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

You need a lot of ballers to run a 46 effectively. Even in 2010, we only used it sparingly.

This defense will be way too green for it to be a base defense.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

to counter the 46 in the 80's offenses would spread the field. with the way offence is played today I could see the 46 struggling . I like the 46 in spurts but not as a regular defense. your assumption is very logical so you may be onto something though.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We will run all of them. 3-4, 4-3, 46, 3-3-5, 3-2-6. We have always mixed fronts under RR.

You can't run a 46 full-time there are ways to beat it, Bill Walsh's version of the WCO was coined to beat the 46 with short, timing routes. However, it can be very effective if you throw it in once in a while, against certain personnel.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

This is what I was posting last night.

Rex wants to have more flexibilty, and more 46.

And your LBs will most likely be Barnes, and Davis. Both players best asset is speed. (with Harris as rhe MLB obviously)

That can be scary good. Mayock called Richardson And explosive, freakish athlete at 310 pounds.

Great first step. And goes sideline to sideline.

It ahould be nice to watch when they line up in 46, then stand up and start milling around pre snap.....

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Ryan has played 4-6 and heavy defensive back sets like 4-2-5 or 3-3-5. No reason to think he won't keep switching it up. Honestly with a new corner and NT I think we'll see those heavy DB sets more often. Maybe that's the plan since OLB seems to never even be on their radar. We'll just use CBs instead of LBs since teams are so pass heavy these days. That takes away the need for speedy linebackers that can cover, I guess.

#7 Barcs, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

PS. They make rhink Josh Bush can be that FS. Hes got footspeed and range.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Both Antonio Allen and Josh Bush will have to play - and play well. In 46/3-3-5/4-2-5 scheme, Jets are in very short supply of capable safeties. In other words, don't be surprised if Jets draft yet another defensive player come 3rd round. (i.e. Bacarri Rambo)

10. 624

624 Banned

We haven't been a pure 3-4 since Rex has been here.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

"scary good"?

with no pass rushers, no talent at outside linebacker, weak safties, and a questionable group against the run?

we will be good, for sure. but scary good? scary good is having the qb shaking because he knows we are going to get to him more often then not. not a guy who can feel comfortable dropping back all game.

not to mention, the defense is going to be on the field a ton, because our offense will be among the league leaders in turnovers and at the bottom in TOP