Grade the two draft picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LV Coach, Sep 10, 2006.

1. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

OK, I was absolutly overjoyed about the Jets first pick in the draft. And today was the time to see them in action, so for the first four series I keyed in on D'Brick and Mangold.

I loved how they handled the opposition. Neither of them were out played or over powered! All of D'Bricks directional blocks moved his man totally out of the play. Mangold looked like he had been there before.

Yes, build this team from the inside out and I'm sure the "break-in" process won't take 3 plus years.

And this is from an observent "darksider" who promised years ago to never post negative comments before the 3rd game was over....but that won't stop the positives.

2. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Mangold - A-
    DBrick - B+ (1 false start)

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That seems fair, although I wasn't focusing on it enough to know for sure how much the poor running attack was their fault. Perhaps they should lose a half-grade (to B+ and B, respectively) because of that.

4. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

im still new to the game but was it our running that was crap or protection or a bit of both or just their good defense???? need help here, cheers.

i really think that blaylock and barlow didnt have their best games....

5. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

True but they did do alot of good things on run plays too .. especially that lick that Mangold gave to Haynesworth that knocked him out and gave barlow a huge gap and he still didnt score. dBricked also pancaked a couple on that brad smith run for 1st down. If it was grading the whole line it would be B, B- respectively.

6. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Both guys: B..

Good pass protection, not much in run blocking. I saw Ferguson miss a block around the goalline allowing Pacman Jones make a tackle (which is rare)

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

It was really a combination of everything. None of our RBs are more than above average, but the run blocking wasn't that strong. Regardless, both Ferguson and Mangold look very good in pass protection, and if I had to pick one area for our OL to excel in, I'd want it to be pass blocking before run blocking.

I'd give Mangold a B+ and Ferguson a B. Both were great in pass protection, and had some rookie moments in run blocking (although I saw Mangold pave the way for some holes that our RBs missed.) Ferguson gets the slightly lower grade for the false start penalty, as mentioned earlier.

8. NYMagpies

NYMagpies New Member

cheers mate :)

9. jetsnvegas

jetsnvegas New Member

pac man is terrible, i am so glad he isnt in green and white

10. Phyr

Phyr Member

The run game was horrible inside. I have a feeling it was more Moore and Katnik's fault than Mangold.

11. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

As players, I'd agree with the poster's grades. As rookies, I think they both performed at an A to A+ level. You have to grade on a curve when it's their first game.

12. Let's keep in mind acouple of factors here while grading Brick and Mangold..

1. Pete Kendall was out of the game very early, meaning that Mangold was responsible for all the line calls. We did a pretty good job of pass protection all day, and Mangold deserves major kudos for showing compure and wits making the line calls in a hostile environment.

2. Brick was facing off against a scrappy pro bowler in Vanden Bosch...and aside from one sack...we didnt hear Vanden Bosch's name the entire game.

I give both guys an A.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

This could shut up the lineman detractors such as champ and Smokeeater for one week.

Of course, champ will comment on Vernon Davis' touchdown. (Note: champ is on record as saying Davis is the guy he wanted instead of Ferguson.) Well, Davis had an up-and-down game. He fumbled and dropped a pass.

14. Funny enough, if Davis was chosen by the jets...and busted....Champ would be the first to point out that we're the "only franchise" that'd take a chance on a Tight end in top 10 who was nothing more than a workout warrior.

15. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

C- for Mangold. He made a few bad calls on the line and we got no push up the middle.

B- for Brick. Did a solid job overall protecting Chad's blind side. I still havent seen him truly dominate like College but I guess its coming soon as he gets more comfortable.

16. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

brick was raping people out there on pass protection (had 1 bad play)

on run blocking, smith would have gotten more on that end around if brick wouldnt have missed the block on pac man

i couldnt key in on mangold that well, but he made no big mistakes and was up against a tough front

17. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Brick-A
    Mangold-A

They completely exceeded my expectations. No big mistakes except for one holding call, no missed snaps, no false starts. Brandon Moore was the worst on the line and Mangold really had to step up and be the leader on the line when Kendall went down and did a great job

18. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Im not blaming them for the run. Blaylock kept dancing through holes instead of hitting them. It was pitiful. If Martin was healthy, he could have rushed for 100 yards in the holes they gave him. Even if it is a small hole, Blaylock cant create his own. I think Barlow did a good job when he was in the game and if he got more carries i think he could have gotten in a groove and had a good game.

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Both were excellent in pass protection. Brick had one hold but it was only because he got beat and didn't want Chad to get killed so he basically tackled the end. But for the most part in one on one pass blocking his footwork and hands were outstanding. Neither one was great run blocking. Obviously you can't expect too much from them at this point but they should get much better by midseason.