Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Just throwing this in here as well, Revis is coming off an ACL tear, (which I suspect he's fully recovered from). But there's no guarantee that it won't go again and he is fully fit. We got a 1st and a 3rd/4th for him , he could have also played out his contract and we get virtually zip.
    Its not like we held all the cards here. I think Idzek has made a silk purse out of a sows ear.

2. gustoonarmy

Eric Allen put it very well.....

link

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was addressed yet, but did anybody catch this is the second star in our organization that we traded to Tampa Bay. the other being Keyshawn Johnson, him and Revis just so happen to be my favorite Jets.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Cooper and Warmack are studs. Cooper fits our scheme better, because of the WCO. I doubt we'll pick one though, I hope so.

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I really believe there were potential GM candidates that didnt want to touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.

Hey, by making this move this guy has a 9 and a 13. Nice start. The Jets defense last year was decent to say the least. The Jet defense for the first time in years, has some comers on the line that will make the pass rush better...and having to have shutdown CB's that even great teams do not possess not as important.

When the Giants won the Superbowl, tell me about their defensive backfield and how great it was. They have beaten the pats using their front 4...end of story.

While I loved the player..how great he was...this love affair of our Jet team having the greatest player at his position always was blind to how that made us a great team.

When the Jets played the Pats...please tell me how much of a difference maker Revis was. Only Bradys ego on a few occasions, even brought Revis name out during a game when his ego forced him to try to nail him a few times...only to regain his senses and hit his slot receiver or tight end a million times wide open.

The average team with a superstar receiver as their only/main weapon were the games where Revis stood out.

The great teams did what you could do when you best player is a CB...they used the middle of the field and the other side...or ran the ball down our throat.

I really get how upset some are...really do. Lets see how upset we all our after day one of the draft.

6. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I don't know if we take a G for sure, but it would be the smartest move by far (Austin while a sexy pick, is a much bigger risk). But maybe we don't. Either way, I am just giving perspective that whoever we pick at 13 is who we traded Revis for. It does not seem like commensurate value.

15M is a HUGE number, which is why Revis' camp was willing to take a contract with NO GUARANTEED money. They knew that was their play. In light of that, how big a number is $15M?? Not big at all, because you can literally cut him or trade him and take ZERO hit at any time. This was a smart move on Revis' part bc his team obviously knew it was the only way they could get this record-setting money. It completely changes the complexity of a "Mevi$ deal" because you are not on the hook for dead money in any given offseason. We all know that we are way under the cap next year so there was serious room to creatively structure a deal (i.e., front load and back load with bonuses) to make the guy happy. But Idzik never even tried. And maybe Woody gave an absolute refusal but that shows he's a bonehead bc by not even giving Revis' camp a call he did not realize how sweet of a deal he could have gotten.

All this being said, again, I was not opposed to trading him. I really wasn't. But you have to get the proper value for a guy who is considered one of the best in the game period. I know he's a CB, but he is on his own level in terms of impact on D and this is widely recognized in the NFL. This was a situation where we should have gotten a package of picks, in either '13, 14 or some combo. The conditional 4th/3rd next year is just not enough.

Percy Harvin did everything except for sleep with Leslie Frazier's wife to force a trade and alienate himself in Minnesota. And they still got more at the end of the day for a guy who is not even in the discussion for top 10 at his position. Revis could arguably be the best cover corner of all time and he is just 28 almost a year removed from the ACL that everyone seemed so apparently scared of. I don't know. I just think we should have gotten more than what the Vikes got. Call me crazy I guess.

7. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Agreed. I have no problem with Cooper or Warmack. I HOPE we take one of them. Absolutely.

8. gustoonarmy

Not sexy, but essential.

9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Another thing that bothers me about this deal is that Revis was a respected leader on the team. On a franchise that has become a laughingstock, he wanted to be here and never once said otherwise. he also happens to be a solid citizen who never sniffs trouble off the field. There is a little extra value in the NFL to having dominant players who can actually set an example for the team, hold people accountable and be a willing face of the franchise.

I'm just sayin'.

10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Exactly. Every draft year is different.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I am beyond disappointed right now.. I have been avoiding everything because I know I will just continue to be pissed off.

This is the 3 steps back before the 1 step forward. It's the way we have been throughout our history.

Yay, draft picks yaaaaay! Lotto.. woo hoo!
    Can't wait for the draft. If we flub it...man , I don't even want to think about it.

I understand why but honestly IMO it didn't justify losing an all NFL Great who will be a 1st ballot...

12. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but how ridiculous is it that when we traded for rookie Revis, we had to give up a 1, 2, and a 5, and after Revis becomes the best defensive player in the NFL, Idzik can only get back a 1 and a conditional 4? In other words, we gave up more to get rookie Revis than the Bucs did to get superstar Revis.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

That ACL injury didnt help our situation

14. Buttfumble

Buttfumble New Member

I was hoping for a little more in return, given the rumours beforehand, but looking forward to 2 picks in the top 13 now.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If you want to trade the #13 pick down to the 20s you'll get a lot better than a 5th rounder. So the extra pick is there if Jets want it.

This draft lacks elite talent but is VERY deep. There's no Andrew Luck or RG3 but there's players in this draft (and every draft) which can contribute from day 1. Also, Jets will have around 11 picks in next year's draft. So they're still prepared to get things done.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

ACL + one-year left + can't be franchised + UFA instead of RFA + holdout history + demands to be paid like franchise QB = lack of leverage for Jets/Idzik.

Too many have this dream scenario where the other NFL GM are lining up to help Jets win a SB.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

According to this Idzik asked for 2 #1s and there were no takers. He then asked for three picks this year and there were no takers. He got what he could get because there wasn't one other single team that wanted any part of Revis..probably because of his knee but I am sure his record of contract negotiations played a part as well. We got the best deal we could get.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/bucs-get-revis-in-trade-with-jets/2116532

"Initially, the Jets asked for two first-round picks. But it became apparent to Dominik that only the Bucs had the combination of draft picks, salary cap room and willingness to meet Revis' salary demands. The Jets lowered their demand to three picks, including the first-rounder. But Dominik held firm at two selections. Dominik gave Idzik a deadline of today for completing the trade."

18. Swedish Ale

Swedish Ale Member

I can honestly understand the frustration, but if there's anyone to be pissed off at - it's either Woody or Revis.

• Revis was standing in his corner of the ring, demanding to be paid franchise QB money before having even played a single down since his injury - or walk into FA.
      Not only leaving us with nothing, but also provide us with a cap hit of 9M in '14 due to details in Revis contract (another gift from Tanny).

• Woody was standing in his corner of the ring, refusing to pay the money Revis was looking for.

• Idzik was just dropped into a clusterfuck situation as some sort of parent, appointed to make a shitty reconciliation between two kids that refused to find a middle ground.
    It's impossible to pin this shitfest on Idzik, he did the best he could, he knew what the Revis camp wanted for an extention, and eventually what he could get from the only team willing to take on Revis.

Shitty hand, pretty damn good outcome all things considered.

Now let's rebuild this thing, and this time let's try and build around something other than a goddam cornerback...

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

how often do big stars get traded during the season? especially stars who want a new contract negotiated. and as for Revis, no 16 million for a guy who takes away 1/4 or 1/5 of the field against today's high octane offenses.

20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

they did not sign him for 96 mil. They signed him for 16 mil. Unless the contract does not kick in until next year. In that case they signed him for nothing. because they can cut him any time they want. and if their team goes nowhere next year, they may well do that. to free up cap space to go after a franchise QB.