Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I love how everyone thinks Bridgewater and Manziel are sure things. Matt Barkley was also a sure top 3 pick this time last year.

And on top if that there is no guarantee they even declare for the draft next year.

2. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell it's a crapshoot. At this point the Jets should draft a quarterback in every round of every draft they have a pick until they find one that can at least be in the top 15. I'll admit I'm an impatient fan who is sick of watching the shitshow our QB position has become since the Farve debacle.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

At least he'll help put butts in what was one of the emptiest NFL stadiums last year.

4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

While desperation definitely drives foolish decisions, the idea that draft pick valuation shouldn't be affected by the year the pick is in is just...wrong. In the example I gave earlier, it's akin to going to a dealership, buying a car, beginning payments...but not take receipt of the vehicle for a year. It's basic economics. If you do that you better be damn sure the car you're getting is worth paying all that money with absolutely no ROI for a full year.

I FULLY agree that procuring future picks can be a very savvy way to turn a "profit" when building a team. I just don't think that the time until a pick reaches maturity is irrelevant to its value.

The scenario you describe (smart teams taking advantage of foolish teams) arises when there is a bad valuation of players/picks from year to year - generally when teams disregard the (relatively) established value of a future 1st. Having the draft right around the corner means that Idzik gets immediate liquidity of the asset, whether he picks a highly talented player or trades the pick for a combination of current/future assets. Either way, the Jets get a full year of value from the 13th pick in the draft.

I agree in a vacuum that Revis the football player, at his best, is clearly worth more than the 13th pick in the draft. Personally, I don't think we're anywhere close to that idealized scenario, unfortunately.

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

school is in. Life sucks, but I aint paying no cornerback.

6. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

I agree with this and I am looking forward to moving on with new blood. I can't understand how Revis didn't secure guaranteed megabucks though......he better hope he stays healthy or this could be a really bad deal for him down the road....

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

my favorite player also and that won't change.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

this is very true. Manziel might not even come out next year.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what the 13 is worth to the Jets this year:

1. The 13th best player on their list of all players in this draft.
    or
    2. A trade down for other picks of equivalent value, which might well include '14 picks.

Items 1 and 2 above turn into the following things:

a. Play value for the year in the form of whichever player(s) are selected, who will actually do things on the field for the 2013 Jets.
    and
    b. Play experience for those players making them likely to be better players in 2014.

Here is what a 2014 1st is worth to the Jets as of right now:

1. Somewhere between the 1st and 32nd best player on their list in 2014, with a heavy weighting towards the bottom of that range since the Bucs look like they will be competent in 2013.

10. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

There are no guarantees or sure things in the NFL... this isn't the NBA. You'll wait forever if you are waiting for the next "sure thing" QB.

11. Duck

Duck Member

This is a sad day

I Love Darelle!. Just like i loved so many other jet up and coming stars. Vilma, Pennington, moss etc. But Darelle puts them all to shame.
    In the end I think everyone loses here:
    Tampa is going to fight for a wild card this year. after the season, theyre going to realize that building a great sustainable team is impossible with a corner making 12% of your cap, not wanting to forfeit next years 3rd they cut him. Paid 13th overall for a 1 year rental when you were more than 1 p[layer away. BAD MOVE
    Revis pretty much chose to become a hired gun by taking a no guarantee deal, coming off surgry, new system, lot of pressure i wouldnt be surprised if he had a good season but not up to his ridiculous standards. i dont know why being "the highest paid...ever" is so important to him. the jets should have tried less for more guaranteed, but i think he really wanted that title. He loses long term, he better find a good home or his legacy can never be that great. see Asomough. BAD MOVE
    The Jets trade probably theyre best p,layer ever, which crushes the fan base miserably, I forsee a revolt if we dont turn this shitstorm around quickly, the stadium is going to be empty all year (anyone want to buy a PSL?) . Jersey sales will fall thru the floor. If we still suck in 3 years this could lead to being the f****'n Los Angeles Jets. BAD MOVE
    Maybe I'll cheer up for the draft?....nah!

12. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Of course we have more pressing concerns next year... as long as we get all-pro players around Sanchez we'll be fine... right?!?...

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Ronde Barber, Darryl Green and Antoine Winfield

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Oh please. There's going to be no revolt. We win anything of substance in the next 3 years, it'll bring fans. Much like Rex brought in a shit ton of young fans such as myself in 2010

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Are/were any of them playing at a $16m/per level into their 30s?

#3335 Jake, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it has nothing to do with impatience, it has to do with the fact that this years pick is defined. you know you are getting the 13th pick. a first rounder next year has no defined value; you could be getting the 1st, 13th or 30th pick. why would you risk the 13th pick for the potential of only next years 30th? that is why the current season pick has more value, because it has value and next years has none at this point.
    no, foolish is thinking the 13th pick this season has as much value as the 30th pick next year. and the fact that that is a possibility is why you can't consider them equal on speculation.
    based on what? if he was worth more, why weren't more teams willing to offer it? even the Bucs, who were willing to pay him $16 mil per year, apparently weren't willing to give up more. you can't make up your own value for him, you have to base your value on him on what teams were willing to offer. otherwise you aren't talking about his value in the NFL, you are talking about his value in your fantasy. I am sure the Jets would have preferred to be trading him in your fantasy to get that higher value, but unfortunately they weren't.

the fact is the Jets were never going to pay him $16 million, and if the Bucs didn't trade for him and offer him this year, it is likely they would have offered it to him next season, so the Jets would lose him regardless. Revis had no desire to stay with the Jets for less money than he could get elsewhere. he was, unfortunately on borrowed time with us at this point.

17. Duck

Duck Member

Im personally not renewing my PSL season tickets

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No CB does.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

remember that time you messaged me, opened your heart about being suicidal, and I talked you our of it?

I take back everything I said. Feel free to proceed.

20. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Why did y'all act so shocked? I came here, told you it was happen, and that you'd only nag this year first... okay, so you'll get a 3rd next year as well- hardly anything to write home about....

Anyways... what a great day. Hope y'all having a great day too...