Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Jet defense was never great with Revis. They were very good. Do you not recall the several games that the D couldn't stop teams at the end of games, even with Revis?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Nice to see some folks taking the long view and waiting until draft night to see if Idzik is still playing his hand or is done and happy with the picks we got for Revis. Idzik might already have a deal in place for that 13th overall we don't know about yet.

No need to flame Idzik yet. He really didn't have a lot of leverage in this situation and perhaps, if he had made the deal earlier rather than later, he could have gotten more but he was "on the clock" and TB probably made one final offer that Idzik couldn't refuse.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They got 3 picks, we got 2. our draft spot is slightly higher in a draft that is not considered top heavy.

as usual bradwaysucks takes shots at me b/c his arguments are weak and misinformed.

what do we expect from the guy that thinks Bill parcells is a great GM type?

Minny gets 1st this year, 3rd anext year and a 7th rounder this year. we got a 1 and MAYBE a 3 for the best defensive player in the game vs. a decent WR that is ALWAYS hurt. You got be bradway:rofl2:

4. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

Fuck that and by that I mean him and not your quote. He was a great player yes but it Me first for Revis from Day 1. I am glad Woody wouldn't pay his ass. I hope his sets a precedence for everyone on the team that no one person is bigger than the TEAM.

Fuck off Mevi$

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

What if the 3rd pick was never in the talk to even begin with? What if we get a nice couple of picks for trading down with the 13th or 9th pick and still get a good player with the other pick?

Its a lot of what if's but I'll willing to wait until Thursday to judge this deal.

6. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

So do we also actually take a 12$million cap hit for the trade as well??

7. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Also, if Revis comes back 100% let's say. Is he going to hold out for guaranteed money? He's all about the money, and he becomes healthy, this seems like a holdout happy contract, unless they have holdout provisions in the contract

8. nyjunc

I am evaluating this trade based on what we got back which was awful compensation. He can make it better and the future is still up to Idzik, he can turn us into contenders in spit of this move but he did a terrible job w/ what he got back for Revis. we were fleeced.

9. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Yes, but the injury still carries a stigma. You're kidding yourself if you think a 100% healty Revis wouldn't have gernered a bit more.

Plus, the difference between Revis and another top-tier CB (ie. Cromartie, Sherman, etc.) is minimal in terms of overall contribution.

Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions, statistically the most-productive and most-targeted receiver in the league over the past two seasons, was targeted almost 200 times this season by Matthew Stafford — making up roughly 27% of Stafford’s 727 pass attempts. So even if the Jets were matched up every week against the Lions, who ran the ball only 391 times the entire season, Revis would have contributed to only 17% of the defensive plays run by the Jets defense, and that’s assuming he was always healthy. That contribution percentage drops even further against teams that run the ball more and/or do not possess a receiver of Johnson’s stature to target a quarter of the time.

A WR is an integral cog to an offense, a corner can be hidden by a half-decent pass rush giving them less value. Case-and-point, the Ravens this year and the Giants two years ago.

10. k311

k311 Member

According to Adam Schefter, Revis will cost us $12m on this year's cap.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thats it in a nutshell really. Until draft night (whenver that is :wink) we'll all have to wait and see, I'm expecting a cherry on top of this deal though

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're just wrong Junc, so be wrong in your wrongness and revel in it.

And BTW I wouldn't take shots at you all the time if you weren't wrong all the time. It's amazing how often you take a simple mathematical proposition and turn it upside down. Sanchez was a top 10 QB despite being ranked 27th. Percy Harvin got the Vikings more than the Jets got for Darrelle Revis despite the math saying they got 33% more.

Wrong in your wrongness. Think about it.

#2812 Br4d, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 1m
    Revis contract breakdown: $1.5M roster bonus, $1.5M workout bonus, $13M base + $16M cap. Every year for 6 years, per source. #Jets

14. nyjunc

at worst we should have received a 1 and a 2 in return. we may get a 1 and a 4 and at best a 1 and a 3, we got fleeced.

Don't be fooled, TB was as desperate, if not more, than us to do this deal.

15. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

I cant imagine that a 1st and 4th is the best deal out there. I literally cannot imagine that.

As for trading down, I am all for trading down. But again, the Revis trade is done, what happens with the 13 is not part of the deal. Even if you trade the 13 for a 1st, 1st next year, and a 3rd, you still missed out on a pick by only getting 2 picks for Revis.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Agreed. Revis has one season left & can't be franchised. And he's coming off ACL injury. Idzik & the Jets had no leverage here. 3rd round compensatory vs. #13 pick this season & 3rd rounder next season.

======
    Revis signed for 16,000,000 per season. There's no chance he was gonna stay with the Jets.

17. Windeos

Windeos Member

Here's a thought...

Whats to stop the Bucs cutting Revis before the 3rd day on roster in 2014 if he proves he is healthy right through this season, therefore sending a 4th rounder to the Jets instead of a 3rd with Revis getting a new contract with a loads of guaranteed money???

I know we had to deal Revis but we should've got more. Bucs could circumnavigate the comp pick in 2014 in what is already a steal for the Bucs.

I just don't understand how we didn't get more picks.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

whether the money is guaranteed or not is pretty much irrelevant - if he is playing then you are paying $16m for a CB - which in the eyes of most teams is way, way too much.

if you aren't paying him then its because he isn't playing (most likely at all because of a horrendous injury) - so effectively you are either paying or the player isn't playing - which to my mind (cap issues aside) is not really very different to having a guaranteed wage - either you have $16m against the cap or you just chucked away a first round pick.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

LOL at you guys down playing Revis, Jets fans do it all summer until the season starts and he's blowing your mind away

We lost a gem for nothing

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Look, did we all think that we were going to get more picks out of this? Of course. But let's look at the reality of the situation. We had absolutely no leverage. He was going to walk and we would have lost him for nothing. Fact that we got a first round pick and most likely a third for a guy that we were going to lose for nothing is a positive. Just because it didn't meet your expectations doesn't mean it was bad.