Trade Up for Dion

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jjt4201, Apr 11, 2013.

1. The GM

The GM New Member

If the Jags take Geno at #2, the Raiders (who have a dearth of draft picks) would take the #9 and our 2nd for the #3 in a heartbeat. They will be targeting a DT anyway, and one of Floyd, Lotulelei, or Richardson will be available at #9. Floyd should be because after the Raiders he doesn't fit the 3-4s of the Eagles (#4), Browns (#6), Cardinals (#7), the Lions are set at DT (#5), and the Bills (#8) have Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams with much bigger needs on D and at on their OL at LT and losing Levitre at OG not to mention a WR to play across from Stevie. This trade for the Raiders would amount to a free 2nd rounder while getting their guy.

#3 - Dion Jordan, 3-4 OLB
    #13 - Xavier Rhodes, CB
    3rd round - Bacarri Rambo, FS
    4th round - Cornelius Washington, 3-4 OLB
    5th round - Dion Sims, TE

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The Jets better not give up 2 first rounders for a front seven guy unless he has been described as a blowing bowl with a butcher knife.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

@The GM

Yeah, but you're giving up Zach Ertz or Eddie Lacy or Ryan Nassib or Margus Hunt to turn the 9 pick into Dion Jordan. How can that possibly be a good deal for a rebuilding team?

How is it possible that the Jets aren't better off taking the best player available on the 9 and also getting one of the above on the 39 instead of getting Dion Jordan?

This is the kind of thinking that has gotten us into such a mess in the past. One guy in a hundred that you make that kind of trade up for turns out to be Darrelle Revis. Fifty of them turn out to be Dewayne Robertson and the other 49 bust leaving you in the ditch, again.

And BTW the value is way off in your trade proposal compared to the traditional chart. It would cost the Jets the 9, 39, 72, 106 and 178 to move up to the 3.

#23 Br4d, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  4. The GM

The GM New Member

It's amazing how quickly everyone soured on Jarvis Jones because of a poor pro day workout. These threads used to be trade up for Jarvis.

I love Dion, but I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up being just like Manny Lawson in the NFL. Lawson was hyped the exact same way Dion is currently being hyped, except that Lawson was an even more impressive athlete coming out of college (4.4 speed). He never blossomed as a 3-4 OLB in San Fran despite hype that every year was going to be his breakout year, but he was always strong in coverage and decent against the run.

He then moved to a 4-3 as a SLB and has been a good cover/blitz SLB, but nothing close to worthy of a Top 10 pick.

Jarvis Jones could end up just like Courtney Upshaw in this draft --- originally pegged as the dominant 3-4 OLB player in the draft and then falling to the very late 1st after poor workouts and questions about his size/speed. But he could also end up like Terrell Suggs in the NFL as a very tough to stop 3-4 OLB on Sundays.

Btw, with the high upside 3-4 OLB talent atop the 2nd (Jamie Collins, Corey Lemonier, you could even talk yourself into Sam Montgomery at times) perhaps we should go for the best WR in this draft at #9 (Patterson), then CB at #13 and circle back to OLB. There's a decent chance in 2 years that Collins is just as good as Dion Jordan, and Collins is more athletic.

5. The GM

The GM New Member

And I don't think the Jets trade up either. There's a very good chance that Ezekial Ansah falls to #9 in which case I think we take him to be a 3-4 OLB. Jags would have to take Geno, Raiders a DT, Eagles a DT or Jordan, so the Lions could take OT Eric Fisher and let Ansah fall to us.

#13 I still think will be Rhodes if he doesn't go at #12, but if he does I think we go with a WR -- either Austin or Patterson -- and then circle back to CB atop the 2nd with a guy like John Banks.

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Think of it this way. We're most likely trading our STAR player to get multiple picks to add a vast amount of youth to this team. Trading up would completely contradict that. And Jordan isnt this "cant miss" prospect by any means, just one of the more talented players in this draft. But again, trading away 9 and 13 who could possibly turn out to be Warmack and Jarvis Jones or Ansah and Cooper (etc) for Jordan doesnt help us.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

you don't trade up when your rebuilding. especially with all the holes we have.

8. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I agree with your once-in-a-generation prospect pitch but Jordan isn't even close to a can't-miss prospect. Re-visit this idea in 2014 (Bridgewater, Clowney)

Plus one could argue that 2013 isn't even a strong draft, so a top 3 pick talent-wise could be selected outside of the top 10 in 2014 (for example). The most obvious sports parallel I can think of is this year's NBA draft (so remarkably weak that, arguably, the top 3 picks this year wouldn't even go in the top 14 in 2014)

#28 VanderbiltJets, Apr 12, 2013
  9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Although I'm not a fan of trading up, I do agree with you that Raiders are the prime team for trading down. Everybody that's even thinking about trading up should be giving the Raiders a call to see what's up.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If anything we should be trading down and adding picks. So, yeah, no thanks.

That being said I think he's going to be a difference maker. If by some chance miracle he fell to 9th (which I know isn't going to happen) I would be beyond excited...but, yeah, we'll still get someone good at the 9th spot or trade down to the 14-16th spot and still get someone good as well as add some depth.

We'll see what happens in less than two weeks.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Um... No.

There are plenty of pass rushers in this draft and we've made this mistake once before (Dewayne Robertson).

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

This.......

13. NFL

NFL Active Member

Yeah no thanks. If I'm trading up its not for Dion Jordan. He hasn't shown me anything other than potential. He supposibly can cover but the stats don't show it. Ill admit that I haven't watched many of his games but stats are at least supposed to show something. The guy had like 4 sacks no interceptions and 1 pass defended. Either he's another Revis that QBs don't throw to because of their coverage being so good, or he's getting over hyped.

Give me Jarvis Jones at 9 over Dion any day.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not for 2 firsts. maybe the 9th and a 3rd. but i dont think that gets it done

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Dam I'm gald your not the GM, LOL

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I hope/think Idzik is smarter than this.

17. BomberJet

That's just ludicrous. All it takes is for a key player, like your starting QB, to have a down year to make team look bad. Jets still have a bunch of talent - I can easily, reel off 10, 11 players that could easily make an impact if they were on other teams, not counting Revis. If the Jets draft properly and bring in some decent FA's, they could have a playoff contending team.

Today 6-10 teams can do the reverse and become a 9-7 wildcard easily. IF, and I know it's a big if, Sanchez and Marty can work together successfully, this could easily be a reality.

18. BomberJet

Maybe. maybe not. Jets will have a decent player fall to them at #9. They have to take a "wait and see" approach.

#38 BomberJet, Apr 12, 2013
  19. Br4d

You're dreaming.

The Jets 2012 season wasn't all about Mark Sanchez, although we've focused on him pretty heavily. The 2012 season was about JAG WR's and slow LB's and an inconsistent running game and then Sanchez as the cherry on top that took a weak talent base down.

The Jets are in trouble right now because all of the following players look like starters at this point for 2013: Mark Sanchez, Stephen Hill, Vladimir Ducasse, Jeff Cumberland, Lex Hilliard (no H-back in place yet), Garrett McIntyre, Antwan Barnes, Dawan Landry and a safety to be named later. They're in trouble because the reason those guys look like starters despite not being effective starters previously is that there's nobody as good as them on the depth chart to challenge for a job.

#39 Br4d, Apr 12, 2013
  20. Br4d

So in other words if the Jets hit most of their draft picks, don't get get hurt much *and* also get a little luck on top of the heaping helping you have prescribed in your first two conditions they might win a few more games and maybe a wild card?

I have to say I agree with that.

I expect the Jets to win about 6 games next year. It'd be nice if they caught a bunch of breaks and did a lot better than that but based on the talent that seems unlikely at the moment.