Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

How ironic that the guy who got us into this Revis mess by giving Aso $16M is also the only guy dumb enough to get us out of this mess. Too bad he's dead.

2. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

The Cowboys have Carr and Claiborne. They're not trading for Revis. Rams have Jenkins and Finnegan. Chiefs have Brandon Flowers and signed both Sean Smith and Dunta Robinson.

3. Footballgod214

As jobs go, being a beat writer for any sport has to suck.

It'd be like in high school having to write a 10 page report on a book you can't get two pages into without falling asleep. There's NOTHING to write about this time of year but they've got to write SOMETHING or they don't get paid.

If I were a beat writer I'd probably make shit up too, just like high school.

4. Footballgod214

If Revis was being dangled by the Bucs, would you be for the Jets giving him $16M and trading our #1 pick for him? It'd be close...but not sure I'd do it.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Since we are rebuilding, no. Hence why we are trying to trade him in the first place. If we were a piece away from seriously competing and had a need at CB and the cap space, without a doubt.

6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I would like the FO to take a reasonable offer from any team wanting him because Revis will not be a Jet in 2014.

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Now that the Jets are compelling Revis to attend these workouts they'd better
    get something for him via trade; because there's no way he's coming back
    here once he hits free agency.

8. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Well reports are they're being offered a 1, 3, and 6.

Not bad, but reports don't say what year the pics are. Have to get the Bucs 2013 first rounder.

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Hilarious that some are upset w/Idzik for requiring Revis to fulfill his contract obligations to attend a work out in exchange for 3M. NYJ have the leverage and they will maintain that leverage by requiring attendance at the OTA if Revis wants to receive the 3M. The trade rumors are worthless and meaningless - The NYJ have little incentive to even get interested unless they are offered a '13 #1 + additional picks. Much better to keep Revis than to trade him in a lousy deal. Lastly, Revis is not going to be paid what he is demanding by anybody - the market for CBs has gone down. The NYJ will most likely keep Revis and sign him for a number considerably less than his contract posturing demand.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What reports? Link?

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

God forbid they ask him to fulfill his contract requirements!

12. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

13. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I don't really believe what any of these writers are saying but I wouldn't be happy with a 1, 3 , and 6. I understand at this point the relationship may have soured to the point where it wouldn't be a bad deal but I would have trouble getting excited over anything but a 2013 1 and 2.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Hopefully. But the asshat factor in the NY media might play into that.

15. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I love these reports that the Bucs are getting upset with the Jets for not getting things done. I think it's complete fabrication.

If I'm them I want to wait until the last minute to make the deal so I can see how far along he is in his rehab, confirm that he's not going to reinjure himself (which, obviously, he can still do after the trade) and not have to pay him any bonuses and stuff (like this $3mil, I assume the Jets will have to pay all or a portion of it because he was under contract with them at the time but the Bucs would pay it if the trade happened before...I could be wrong).

Obviously the Bucs want to shore up that position but, really, what difference is another week or two going to make? Most UFA CBs left are probably waiting until after the draft at this point anyway, and if all else fails they can just draft a CB and hope for the best. I wouldn't leave it until they are on the clock at the draft because they will likely want to work out an extension and whatnot first but the draft isn't for over two weeks. If they really are willing to pay him $15mil a season the contract negotiation won't take long...

Bucs: We'll pay you $15mil a season for long enough that you'll retire in Tampa.
    Revis & Co.: Where do I sign?
    *DONE*

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I haven't seen any reasonable offers bandied about yet. I'm sure the Jets will jump on the first really reasonable offer they see. A 1st in 2014 and 3rd and 6th in 2013 is not reasonable when the expectation is the 1st in 2014 will be after the 20 pick.

17. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

It is unclear from that article as to what years those picks are in. My guess is that the Rd #1 is 2014 and the Rd #3 and 6 are in 2013. That is based upon the current situation pre-draft.

That price will only go up from the Bucs as the draft approaches - especially on draft day if someone they are looking at isn't on the board at #13. The Bucs are a win-now team based upon the amount of money they have spent the past few years. With that window open and the pass happy teams in the division (ATL and NO), adding Revis makes sense given their specific circumstances. A rehabbing Revis is > than a rookie at #13 and I think we will see the comp price go up between now and draft week.

The Jets should make Revis honor is contract (something he hasn't done in the past and we have all bitched about - as well as Tanny caving to him the last time). Bring the guy in and see what he looks like for two weeks before the draft. Depending upon his progress and the continuing CB market collapse, the Jets may make a decision to extend him at the right price.

All that BS about trust/relationship is just that. We see it time and again throughout sports that players whine about their relationship with the team and FO. In the overwhelming majority of times that issue is about $$$ which is the Revis camp sole motivation. Whatever team pays him - even if it is the Jets - he will be fine until his next hold-out.

18. Br4d

It's not an asshat factor. It's the need to differentiate in a big media market to sell product.

The Giants get off pretty easy because the Jets supply a target to aim at. Even then coverage of the Giants can get rough at times, as in the two times the media began beating the Coughlin exit drums.

Once the Jets have clearly established that they're not playing into the media game things will shift around some. Both teams will still get some asshat coverage to differentiate but it won't feel like a landslide rolling over the Jets as it does at times now.

19. Br4d

Revis last hold out was at the beginning of the most promising season the Jets had seen in a decade. No thanks on signing him and waiting for him to go merc again when he thinks the Jets are in a vulnerable spot.

You know how much fun 2010 would have been if the hold out didn't happen to make everything dicey at the start?

20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

So if this "report" is true you woul rather take the chance of Revis

1) Playing 2013 with the Jets without a new deal in place (very risky for him but he may do it to Ca$h in) show "flshes" during the season but minimize his risk of injury by taking plays off or having "hamstring" tightness.

2) Hope the Jets re-sign him to the 14-16M per he will likely Demand BEFORE the 2013 season or risk a bidding war in the off-season (see option #1).
    **This option brings with it strong cap issues moving forward**

3) Let him Walk in 2014 and recieve a conditional #3 in 2015

Please tell me how these options are better than the "reported" offer on the table from TB?

*an additional #1 pick (regardless of the slot) is still better than the cap headaches and/or the Comp #3. Add in the #3 and 6 as well...