great article: What if Pennington never got hurt?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

No one is disputing he had a bad year. But he was not put in a position where success was even possible. You guys don't seem to understand that success on offense is a result of the collaborative effort of everyone on the field and the coaches on the sidelines. The OL stunk, the receivers stunk, the running backs stunk, the coaches stunk, the Tebow project stunk, and Sanchez stunk. The ENTIRE offense stunk. To put complete blame on one player shows a lack of understanding. Pennington in Miami had a great OL and a great running game. Those are two things that Sanchez DID NOT have last year. NOTHING worked last year.

What we do know, is with weapons Sanchez has proven to be a good QB. No, he doesn’t put up Brees or Manning type numbers, but he’s been highly effective and clutch in crucial situations. We as a team have had success with him. He’s going to get one last chance, and like I said once before, I will bet ON Sanchez, like I used to bet ON Pennington.

2. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

One camp people forget in the Sanchez debate is the camp that thought he blew chunks at USC, was overrated and NEVER thought he would be an NFL QB regardless of where he was drafted, what team he went to and what surrounded him....

Guy never passed the Parcells sniff test and would be the 3rd QB rated in THIS horrible draft class.....

How the F do you trade up for a QB with so little experience and then hand him the reigns on day 1...

yeah, IF you are stupid enough to draft California boy, at least make him sit and then surround him with talent....

Sanchez was a disaster every step of the way - But, DRAFTING him was the worst step.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The guy makes plays, in the right spots, its the one thing Schotty got right.

Where it went wrong was putting him on the field day one, he was way toO green.

If we didnt throw Penny over for Favre, sanchez would have sat for two years, amd we would all be happy.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

For the record ...
    2008 Dolphins - 1,897 yards rushing ... #11 in the NFL
    2012 Jets - 1,896 yards rushing ... #12 in the NFL

With that said ... I do agree that they had a more explosive running game ... much of it was gained through big chunks in the Wildcat which was still confusing to opposing defenses that season. But in addition to that, Chad played his ass off that season.

Anyway ...

The bolded part of your statement is what really gets me. This simply isn't true. Sanchez has never proven to be a good QB. He's shown a few glimpses, but he hasn't proven anything. I'll ask you the same question I've asked other Sanchez supporters, and still haven't gotten an answer:

The guy has started about 70 games. Identify any stretch of games ... even as small as 4 or 5, when he's played well enough week after week for people to take notice, and project him to be a future star in the league. If I asked you to do it for other young QB's -- Newton, Kaepernick, Freemen, Wilson, Luck, RGIII, Dalton, Ryan --- you could do it with no problem, and most of them have far less time in the league. Why? ... Because they HAVE played well and people can plainly see it by watching them.

When exactly has Sanchez played well for any period of time? When has he PROVEN to be a good NFL QB? NOT the team ... HIM.

Just identify the stretch of games where he played well and made you say wow, because I must have missed them. The best I've seen from him was stretches of mediocre play which was decent enough for us to get the W. I'll tell you this much ... if I asked you to identify a stretch of games when he played like shit week after week for an extended period of time you could do it in about 30 seconds.

Damn ... This is turning into another Sanchez thread, isn't it? :eek:hmy:
    You don't need to respond. Just think about it.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

H8rs gunna H8

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Parcells was excellent at drafting QBs

Bledsoe
    Clements
    Henne

what an impressive list!

if you never thought he'd be an NFL QB you were already proven wrong and I wouldn't trust anything BP says w/ regards to drafting players. all time great coach, mediocre at best talent evaluator.

A disaster would be someone like Ryan leaf or jamarcus Russell, a guy that helped us to 2 title games cannot be considered a disaster no matter how bad his 2012 season was.

Prime example of why you cannot simply just look at stats w/o context.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Without biased, Junc-styled context.

8. nyjunc

so you think our 2012 run game was as good as the 2008 dolphins? do we forget the whole wildcat thing? never mind we averaged almost half a yd less per carry too. We had a 300+ yd game against the Colts that skewed the season #s, our run game was not good last year. We all know this but in order to bash sanchez we need to make it like we had a good run game.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

2009 vs. HOU, vs. NE, vs. TEN
    2009 POSTSEASON vs. CIN, vs. SD (oh wait, we aren't allowed to mention his postseason successes right?)
    2010 vs. NE, vs MIA, vs BUF
    2010 led comeback vs. DEN
    2010 led comebacks in 3 straight games vs DET, CLE and HOU
    2010 ended the season strong vs PIT and CHI
    2010 POSTSEASON vs IND, vs NE and vs PIT (oh wait, we aren't allowed to mention his postseason successes right?)
    2011 vs. MIA, vs. SD, vs. BUF
    2011 vs. BUF, vs. WAS, vs. KC

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

LOL.. Clements was what a 6th round pick?

Bledsoe was the CONCENSUS STAR #1 pick At Qb by everyone......Well, except than those who wanted Rick Mirer...lol.. Every GM ever takes a QB there. PERIOD!

And Henne was a 2nd round shot......

But, overall QB is by far the hardest position to evaluate..... At least start with a guy with a basis of games under his belt...

What I totally agree with Bill on was at least looking at a 3 year starter... Sanchez had shit.

Sanchez didn't even have a full NFL season amount of games under his belt - he had like 3 - 300 yard games playing with a stacked team of talent..

Wanted NOTHING to do with him... NOTHING!!!!!!!

Said it in October of 2008 watching USC....

"PLEASE DO NOT DRAFT THIS MOTHER ###### R" - Me

I fell to my Knees when this panzy was drafted "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
    And here we are.

11. nyjunc

The point is Parcells is not the authority on finding QBs.

I guess that is why Pete Carroll wanted him back so bad, he knew his title hopes left when mark left.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

They didn't make the playoffs in 2002 so my point was if the tuck rule doesn't happen they lose in their 1st playoff game and then fail to make the playoffs which would have been regression it's very plausible they fire Chicken after the 02 season. At that point a new coach and GM come in and Brady maybe doesn't even enter 2003 with the Pats.

He was on the hot seat and Brady saved his ass but if they stick with Bledsoe they don't make the playoffs that year and they started 02 with Brady as their QB they didn't make the playoffs that year so who knows what happens after that? My bet would be that Belly would have been fired. Lewis forced his hand but the Tuck Rule is what began that dynasty not the hit by Mo.

13. nyjunc

It's hard to repeat especially for a surprise champ winning their 1st SB, the sense of urgency in 2002 was different. If they lose to oak in 2001 I think we would have seen a hungrier 2002 team that could have made a run.

we did more than just the Mo hit to help NE in 2001. We blew that 2nd half lead to them in the rematch, we lost to Buf to give them the div title then we beat oak to give them a bye.

14. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Well, yeah, and Parcells wasn't the point of my post.... Just what you decided to Junc in on like you do...

The point is, there were a lot of ppl who wouldn't touch Sanchez with a 10 ft pole - Those ppl NAILED IT!

Compared to this draft class, he'd be well behind Smith, he'd be at best the 2nd or 3rd QB in a horrible draft where those guys are still considered 2nd round picks....

And wether you grasp it or not, the QB position is bolstered now in that the rookie pay makes it a cheaper, less risky pick... NOT like Sanchez who, with a trade up, was an incredible risk on a guy who barely threw 1 season's worth of balls. Who with Great talent, was still very mediocre.

15. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

yeah, and He also knew, Mark was just a baby and some team would put way too much on his shoulders and potentially ruin his career and Life....

16. nyjunc

You made it a point trying to pat yourself on the back and using BP as your backup.

Those people were WRONG. It's hard to win in January in this league, this guy helped us win FOUR playoff games all on the ROAD. He has double the amount of playoff wins of any QB in Jets history. has he taken a few steps back the last year or so? Absolutely but he has proven he can play and win in this league.

Carroll wanted him back for selfish reasons, mark has proven he can play in this league. As the talent has eroded around him he has struggled as just about any QB would.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I wonder what would have happened if Schotty was hired as HC and Ryan as DC instead. Perhaps a run equal to what we saw in '09 and/or '10?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I doubt it, the defense was the back-bone of the team. I couldn't imagine who we would have as our DC. Bob Sutton?

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yep, all comes back to the Tuck Rule. Thankfully it's finally gone, but that little thing changed everything. If you extended it further, maybe Brady doesn't get another shot. Maybe they don't find success in 03 or 04. Link it further, we don't get Mangini most likely. Mangini led to Rex and Sanchez. That also means another team in the AFC fills that void. So many dominos.

To expand on the dominoes, what happens with Herm, Chad, the Jets if Doug Brien makes a kick in PITT OR Nate Kaeding ends our season. Do we then draft a kicker with our first pick? Probably not, then etc etc

You narrowed down a whole fan base to two camps, that's you first problem.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand Sanchez was making mistakes last year that also were not related to problems around him. Like understanding game situation and when it is appropriate to throw the ball up for grabs and not take a sack and when it's okay to take a sack (1st and 10 on the TEN 20 down 4 with 2 minutes left) and not throw the ball up for grabs.

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

..... and the NY Jets need a starting QB.