great article: What if Pennington never got hurt?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Chad never gets the respect he deserves. He was a really good qb. Not a great one, but very good. He had better touch passes than anyone since Montanna. He was also surrounded by a great OL and Curtis. But the dude could fake out the world with his play action. I can't tell you how many times the camera would pan ahead following the RB only to zoom way out to show the pass. He faked me out in person a lot too.

He was also a very nice guy, always nice to me every time I met him, even after two a days. Chad, Curtis, Wayne, etc were all very easy to root for.

2. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

He probably would have taken us to the super bowl in 09

3. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

He probably would have taken us to the super bowl in 2009 and or 2010

4. allan1

allan1 Active Member

This thread is silly. It's not like Chad had one fluke injury falling out of a tree in the offseason that derailed his career...he was chronically injured. He was a good qb when healthy but always an awkward hit away from missing serious time. It's not possible to say "well what of he didnt get hurt?" He was predisposed to injuries the second he came out of the womb.

It's just the way certain guys are. Look at what we've seen happen to mangold on certain plays. He gets bent back like a 300 lb contortionist and misses like 2 plays when other centers would be in the operating room that day

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

It's a discussion forum. We discuss things. We consider "what ifs." Like "What if we traded Darelle Revis?" and so forth.

I wish it didn't veer off the road and start connecting Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and Southwestern forest fires; and I could have gone another decade without thinking again of Doug Brien, but it was an interesting article.

6. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

When the article started talking about completion percentages of 65%, YPA numbers of 7.3, QB Ratings of 98+ and throwing twice as many TD's as INT's I started thinking to myself ... "this Pennington was a very good QB" ... but then I caught myself, and remembered that those are just meaningless fantasy numbers. I can't look at those numbers and judge the quality of his play.

I just can't consider him a quality NFL QB without a few more road playoff wins. :breakdance:

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You are trying to be funny(and failing as you so often do) but the game is not just about #s. Looking at those #s you'd think he was great, he wasn't. he was very good when healthy and in 6 career postseason games he is 2-4 throwing 8 TDs w/ 8 INTs. That's worse than 4-2 w/ 2 title game trips 9 TDs and 3 INTs, right? oh and mark faced better competition.

I wish Mark had Chad's mental game or Chad had Mark's physical game then we'd have a great QB.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Exactly right.

Marks memtal game can be coached.

Noodle arm cannot

9. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Apparently it can't, which is the scary part. It's almost like a physical deficiency at this point.

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

So true. I guess that there's just some things that you can't teach.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

Get a spaceship (Brainship?), enter Mark Sanchez's brain and it's possible.

Only can Mark fix that mental aspect. If he regains his confidence and the MM helps along the way, you could see a resurrection not seen since Rich Gannon. As of now, it looks like he has one chance left. Not sure if he has it in him. Not many come back from the depths of hell like MS is currently in. Prob only 1 or 2 in NFL history

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Pennington in '02, healthy, was the best QB'ing i've seen in over 30 years of watching the Jets.
    He wasn't firing missiles, but he could make all the throws. Arm strength pre injuries was not a big issue.
    Pennington was essentially an OC on the field, was extremely accurate on the short throws in particular, protected the football, and had possibly the best play action going. He was also a tremendous student of the game, and an extremely respected leader of the team.

I think his upside if he could have remained healthy would have been a rare pro bowl caliber Game Manager at QB, capable of winning a SB.
    He was not an explosive point scorer, and struggled a lot when trying to overcome double digit point deficits.
    But with a close game or a lead, he was at his most effective playing his game which was balanced attack run vs pass, play action, and high percentage throws.
    He actually would have been the perfect fit in the Ryan era.

Of course health wasn't in the cards.
    Neither were the right coaches (don't even start me on Hackett who wouldn't give a guy that bright leeway to call his own plays and even restricted his audibles in the early going).
    That's the Jets luck. The stars just haven't aligned with injuries, personnel, and coaching at the right time.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Chad didn't need the "upgrade" of Mark's physical game. When healthy, Pennington was a much better overall quarterback ... 1,000 times more accurate, smarter with the ball, fiery, and cool under pressure ... and that translates into having much better numbers across the board. At no point do I ever remember him being included in the "worst quarterback in the league" discussion. Even after his career was derailed by injuries, Pennington's 2008 season with the Dolphins was light years ahead of anything we'll ever see from Mark Sanchez. 67.4% completions, 7.7 YPA, 19 TD's vs 7 INTs and a 97.4 Rating ... all while throwing to those all-time greats Tedd Ginn, Greg Camarillo, Davone Bess, Anthony Fasano and David Martin. Oh, what an embarrassment of riches :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know ... Numbers don't tell the whole story in sports ... but they certainly tell about 90% of it. You'd like us to believe stats tell us very little about the type of player someone is, and when it comes to Sanchez, apparently they're supposed to tell us nothing. Total nonsense. Stats absolutely do tell you what type of player someone is. Good numbers are the byproduct of performing your job consistently at a high level (Pennington) and terrible numbers indicate an inability to simply perform it at a competent level (Sanchez). The guys with the better numbers in sports are the better players 90% of the time. You might want to pretend that isn't the case, but it most definitely is. It's not an accident when someone is the highest rated passer in the league ... or the lowest.

14. nyjunc

I hate speaking bad about Chad as he might be my all time favorite Jet but Chad was 24 years old as a rookie and started for 3 full years in college. He didn't start his 1st game until year 3 when he was 26 years old. Mark played 4 full years when he turned 26.

Chad also struggled in postseason.

Chad 8 INTs in 6 postseason games
    Mark 3 INTs in 6 postseason games

in div rd games:

Mark- 4 TDs 1 INT, led O to 23 PPG. 2-0 record against hottest teams in AFC each year
    Chad- 1 TD 3 INTs, led O to 7 PPG

mark also led us to 11 wins, highest total under Chad was 10.

I love Chad, I think we could have won a SB w/ him if he stayed healthy but Mark led us to higher places and if they can get his head right again he can do it again.

The only year Mark had terrible #s was 2012 when he had a horrible year. You act like 2012 is the same way he was 2009-2011. he's had to deal w/ new weapons every year and now is on his 3rd OC in the last 3 seasons.

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Something to ponder... lets hypotheticaly say the "Tuck Rule" isn't used. No the call wasn't made up on the spot but it was a complete joke as it was clearly a fumble. The Pats go on to lose the game the Raiders win the SB (maybe) Gruden maybe stays in Oakland but that knocks the Pats out of the playoffs. When you combine what Chicken did in Cleveland that would have made him 5-11, 11-5 and 9-7 making the playoffs once and 2-4 against the Jets. One could ponder if the Pats would have fired Chicken in this circumstance but maybe the dynasty never comes to fruition if the league doesn't blow that call.

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

One of my most vivid memories of Chad is the shootout/perfect QB rating game he played against Peyton Manning, and still lost. It was something like 38-35, I think he was the only QB in the history of the league to have a perfect QB rating and still lose...go Jets lol

17. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Once the Pats made the run to that Tuck Game, BB was locked in...

But, I'll tell you early on in that season, YEAH, there were a lot of questions about BB... I knew a few diehards that were 100% talking about BB being a complete idiot and wondering WTF he was doing.....

I like that scenario better if Brady never plays that year and the Pats finish under .500

AMAZING how in that very season that turned the Pats franchise around - Bellichik was still considered a Freaking Moron by many Patsies.

18. nyjunc

if that happens they probably win the SB in 2002, the dynasty was all about Brady not Belichick.

19. Hobbes3259

Not confidence, thats a myth.

I was referring to his decision making.

Anyone referring to his level of confidence, at this point, is claiming to be psychic.

20. Hobbes3259

Or if Mo Lewis pulls up one step short.