Would This Change Your Mind On Smith?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Falco21, Mar 30, 2013.

?

Would you accept Geno Smith at 9 with Tavon Austin at 13?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    41.1%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    58.9%
  1. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Patterson is better than Austin. Take him instead

2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, by all means ... we should take the WR that nobody had as a first round pick until three weeks ago (after the season was over). He'll be great opposite the WR we took last year in the first round that nobody had as a first round pick until after the season was over (for a good reason).

I've got an idea, let's take a player that everyone has thought would be a first round pick for the entire season, through the pre-draft workouts, and right up until draft day.

3. PuMa

PuMa Banned

Your referring to OLB ? to play opposite of Barnes ?

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

No qb in the first round. We have to pay and play Sanchez this year, worry about a qb next year when there will be two great ones coming out.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

how do you know we'll be in position to draft one of them

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I would like that very much, but as another said, we are the Jets.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You honestly think we will have a top 2 pick in 2014?

No way. And no team that is in the top 2 will be trading out of it

8. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

If they take Geno and Austin then they'll certainly be picking in the top 3.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Somewhere along the way you crossed the line from unhappy to batshit crazy.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It's a possibility regardless. The schedule looks rough and we are patching holes at best. We still lack a vet presence at saftey. It was time to gut and rebuild the roster, but its not gong to be pretty this year.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Patterson has better hands but I love the super fast acceleration that Austin has. I think he's going to be a huge playmaker in the NFL. They're both awesome in the open field - I'd be happy with either.

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

What I really want is us to do is stack the picks for next year, like by trading Revis after this years draft and getting an extra 1st and 2nd next year we could pair up with our 1st and with those three picks, yes I do believe we could get our guy.

Then again I don't expect up to be good so we wouldn't haver to move up much. Also, I don't believe Rex will survive past this season.

13. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

This would be a dream scenario

14. Unhappyjetsfan

I'm not referring to anyone specifically. I'm saying, as a drafting philosophy, we should avoid the workout wonders that skyrocket up the boards a month before the draft and, instead, go with players that produced in college and have been thought of as "first round pick material" for over a year. I don't really care what position he plays - pick the the best player available.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Hey, if you think

(2013) Geno, Holmes, Austin, Reuland, Hill, Kerley

... is more talented than ...

(2010) Sanchez, Holmes, Edwards, Keller, Cotchery, Brad Smith

... good luck with that one. I've been saying Sanchez sucks since the day we drafted him and I still wouldn't pretend that top group, led by a rookie overrated QB and a rookie no-name WR, is more talented than that second group from three years ago.

Geno Smith isn't a Pro Bowl caliber NFL QB. I don't think there is one in this draft, to be frank. The only one I've seen with the talent level is Bray, and he's a mental case.

#35 Unhappyjetsfan, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  16. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

I have to agree with unhappy - i dont see a QB worthy for a first round pick in this draft. I do see the draft as a fantastic opportunity to improve the team though, just not at QB.

17. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I mentioned this is the last mock draft I posted, but here it is again. If you're going to draft a QB you hope might be your franchise guy, I'm a big fan of drafting a WR/TE he's already comfortable with in addition.

With that said, I don't love the idea of drafting Geno Smith, but if you were to pair him with Tavon Austin at the 13th pick, it could help him tremendously.

18. Windeos

Windeos Member

If your scenario happened I wouldn't want to take Smith. Somebody would trade up to get Smith and give up some much needed extra picks to let us rebuild properly.

Personally I'd trade back and look to pick up 2014 1st rounders & extra picks in 2013 to bring in more talent.

For me, it's all about getting our franchise QB in Bridgewater in 2014.

If that wasn't possible I'd look to turn one of our biggest weaknesses, our pass rush, and make it into a strength.

If Jordan dropped to 9 somehow I'd select him at 9 & Jarvis Jones at 13. Then our defence is set for years with 2014 being the year to develop our offence with hopefully our franchise QB joining us.

Imagine our front 7: Coples, Ellis, Wilkerson with Jordan, Davis, Harris and Jones as our lb's. Would be outstanding to watch.

So no to Geno Smith from me

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Seeing as I don't view Sanchez, Edwards, Cotchery, or Smith as anything more than JAGS, yea its not a big reach. Fans have a tendancy to vastly over rate average players on thier own team. The 2009/10 offense was about running the ball more than the Passing game.

20. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

Finally an interesting thread! Honestly, I desperately want a QB so I would be all for this. (with Austin) I'm not sold on Geno, but I see his upside and pairing him with Austin could definitely increase his chances of being successful in the NFL. BUT I only want them to draft Geno if they believe he's the guy and are committed to grooming him the right way.