NJ.com: Jets QB coach at USC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RuJFan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I know. I would pull my hair out trying to figure out if I should grab the guy or not. Picking a QB that high could suck balls or it could change the face of the franchise.

A lot of it also revolves around luck. Who would have thought Brady would have panned out the way he did that late in the draft. It's such a tough position to be in as a GM. Especially in a huge city like New York.

I have faith in Idzik, Lee, and Marty to find the guy. If we ever had the supporting cast to find him, I think this is it. Hopefully they get this right.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I gotta call BS on this. Sanchez could not beat out John David Booty until his redshirt junior year. Barkley is a 4 year starter.

There is no way in hell that Sanchez was half the prospect that Barkley currently is.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

uhm...two QB's that come out at the same time can't both be once in a decade QB's. there are two of them...that inherently means it isn't a once in a decade event.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeti for the video.

1- Barkley is fat, short, white, slow release, but other than that he had some REALLY good throws, even off his back foot (about the tenth throw into the vid).

2- Fk Barkley....who was that tall thin receiver on the right side? He made some awesome catches, great one handed catch on the deep ball!

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's 6'2 and you really think he's fat?

[​IMG]

If he's fat then I'm a whale

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

John David Booty was actually drafted and had veteran leadership on that loaded USC squad. Barkley had to go against Aaron Corp and Mitch Mustain - 2 QBs that in reality could not beat out Barkley. Corp ended up on a FCS program team, while Mustain couldn't amount to anything. Barkley was a better prospect coming from Mater Dei. Sanchez had a lot going for him besides his immaturity on the football field. More agile, raw with more potential. Barkley had better pocket presence, more experience, but less durable. Both will need to be put in the perfect situation in order to thrive in the NFL. Do you think after putting that performance against Penn State that Barkley would of started over Sanchez the next season?

True, wrong wording. You will never prob see a Luck / RG3 type pairing in a long long time. That's my point. To carry a team the way they did is pretty special. I should of put it in that retrospect. I still think over time, Luck will prove to be that once in a decade type player. Nothing against RG3 - hopefully that injury doesn't hold him back because he's fun to watch.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

John David Booty inherited the job when Matt Leinart left as a senior. Sanchez was on that team also and could easily have been picked to be a 4 year starter, just like Barkley was. Instead Pete Carroll decided that he wasn't ready and let Booty have the job. The next year he confirmed the decision by having Booty play QB again.

Think about it for a second. Booty got chosen over Sanchez and was then confirmed. Sanchez didn't get the job until Booty left. Barkley got the job right away in 2009 as a freshman.

There's no way the two were comparable prospects in Pete Carroll's eyes. Carroll had decided that Sanchez was second-level talent, to be played when his turn came up as the senior QB left. He picked Barkley over the other guys who had been there longer when Sanchez left.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ed Reed says hi.

And Jets didn't have a legitimate pass rushing threat since John Abraham left anyway. It's time to get one.

9. 101GangGreen101

John David Booty, I remember had a pretty good season also. He knew the offense in and out after competing with Leinhart and Palmer - for Carrol, it's not a hard decision to put someone out there that is knowledgeable in the offense and proved it in practice. Barkley and Sanchez went against the same QBs in college and both won the job.

Sanchez and Barkley were both highly touted coming out of H.S. - if Sanchez was a second-level talent, why did he disagree with him coming out of the draft? I'm sure he wanted him to start the next year and gander more experience starting for the Trojans while, Barkley sat back and watched the offense his freshman year.

Barkley got the job because there was no clear successor. John David Booty was the clear successor to Leinhart. USC never started Freshman QBs until Barkley came and that's because they didn't have a successor.

I think the two QBs are very similar in the fact that they cannot carry a team in the NFL.

#49 101GangGreen101, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No way in hell we should take him at nine. He has no arm strenght to lad this team. He is not a top teat QB. He will not be drafted in the first round and would be lucky to be drafted in the second round. Barkley is not the QB the Jets need. He is Sanchez with better smarts but a week arm and average release.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Id give it alot of thought if was Idzik but i would prolly pass and end up regretting it later like every other Jet decsion that was ever made

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Carroll was looking long term, and knew if he played Booty, teams wouldnt touch Sanchez, and his team would have longevity. Its why he publicly floated the not ready comments.

Sanchez played well when Booty was injured, and was a better talent.

Also secondarily, its possible Carroll did not want to kill Bootys shot at the NFL

#52 Hobbes3259, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  13. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Exactly! Drafting Barkley will piss this fan base. We need to fix the talent level around the Qb 1st.

14. 101GangGreen101

Durability issues also.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

No...he's not nearly the same player as flacco and has bust written all over him.

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Barkley is only a Sanchez clone in the eyes of the ignorant and uninformed. He's quite the opposite of Sanchez.

Barkley has starter the last 8 years of his life as a QB at big time programs (4 at h.s. and then 4 at USC). Sanchez started 1 year in college. Barkley clearly has the experience and thats something that truly held Sanchez back.

Barkley is a QB made up of great coaching (footwork, preparation, mechanics) and has the intangibles and can run a prostyle offense. He doesnt have the same mental issues that we in Sanchez to this day.

Sanchez had the big arm and had a fantastic pro day and was very athletic moving in and out of the pocket. That is not Barkley. He has a good arm, but not a great one. Sanchez's arm strength seems to have diminished with the big hits and "small" injuries he has had.

I really hate the Barkley/Sanchez comparison. People are writing him off simply because he's a USC QB and because Sanchez has failed. Now he may fail in the NFL, but its definitely going to be because of a different reason than Sanchez. They are not the same QB. The only thing they have in common is the jersey they wore on Saturdays.

Now, with that said, I would not take him in the 1st, but if he slipped to our 2nd then I would have to think about it long and hard. He may not have elite upside like EJ Manuel, but he is probably the most pro-ready QB in the draft.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

So how is he like Sanchez in any sense? He has better intelligents for the game, more experience, not as great of an arm...? People have to stop using this comparison.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Robert Woods... Very good receiver, ton of production. He's 6'0 though, but would be a solid 2nd round choice.

19. 101GangGreen101

I already mentioned the difference between the two is experience at the collegiate level. Sanchez played a big time program in HS also for his last 2 years.

Mark had good intangibles coming out of college also, and he ran a pro-offense at USC. He put up some big #s in his lone starting season including an ass-whooping against Penn State. Sanchez and Barkley both have decent arm strength. Sanchez never had elite, "big" arm strength. His ability to throw on the run and make something out of nothing made him a hot commodity in the NFL. Barkley is a sitting duck in the pocket and while he has pocket presence, I truly do not trust his durability and his ability to take several big hits at the next level. Mark proved he can be durable even withstanding big hits. Mark was better on the run and can evade sacks

Barkley is a better, more polished pocket passer. He has slow footwork, and his delivery isn't that fast. The abililty to throw the ball with some zip is highly in question. He does a lot of good things, but he's not exceptional at anything. Mark had the ability to extend plays, and he's exceptional at it. I still think he's got that in his game.

I never said they were the same QB, but they do share some of the same qualities. Lack of a big arm, ran a pro-offense. There are similarities. Both need GOOD coaching and GOOD weapons around them to succeed - they are merely part of the team and can play a role, but they are not franchise savers. You can't tell them to put the team on their back and led them to victory for 16 games.

I don't take Barkley in the first 2 rounds, 3rd round sure why not - but I do like EJ Manuel a lot more, and quite frankly I think Sean Renfree from Duke has something to offer at the next level. He's had better coaching in college and he's a very accurate QB and has good ball placement. He can lead a receiver to the route and make a play. Renfree didn't work with much yet he had success at Duke.

I don't know if Barkley can consistently hit that 10-15 yard out-route in the next level. Mark's done that plenty of times already in the Metlife Stadium. I ask you this, How many NFL quarterbacks have average size, average arm strength and average athleticism? How many make it in the NFL? How many QBs you know succeed in the pocket with a slow-average release and a sitting duck in the pocket? Not many, not many at all. I am right that he is a clone in the fact that he needs great talent around him as well as great coaching. Decent downfield arm strength. They are very similar in that regard, hence me calling him a clone. You're going to draft Barkley, and end up doing the same damn thing you did with MS, not going to work. Jets are almost better off drafting a QB late and see what you can do with MS with MM at the OC spot this upcoming season. Waste of a draft pick and him being from USC doesn't have that much to do with it.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thats a very big difference. It is, and should be a major factor when grading a QB. If Mark had more experience in college, we might not be having this discussion.

I wouldnt say Barkley is a sitting duck. If you have pocket presence, then you are not a sitting duck. Drew Brees doesnt have elite athleticism, but his pocket presence makes him great in the pocket, and not a sitting duck. Mark can throw well on the run, but it doesnt matter if the team doesnt utilize it. Within the last two years we have barely used that. That obviously is playcalling, but if its not used it doesnt help us. I would take a QB with great pocket presence any day over a QB that can throw on the run very well.

"Franchise savers" are once in a decade type players; or at least ones that appear that way coming out or college. Andrew Luck and RG3 were viewed that way. They did in fact save their franchises, or so it appears. But those type of players dont come around too often. Ryan Tannehill was arguably a better prospect than anyone in this class, and he wasnt a franchise saver. Russel Wilson wasnt either. He merely just played a role on the team the 1st 8-10 weeks and then as he developed along with the talent around him, he was able to take on a bigger role. Joe Flacco wasnt viewed as a franchise saver. He was a good prospect with a big arm. He played a "role" on the Ravens until the playoffs this year.

Point is, you cant expect a QB to come in and simply save the franchise. Unless you draft Andrew Luck, you need to surround them with talent and quality coaching. The Dolphins are doing it with Tannehill and so are the Seahawks with Wilson. He may not have elite upside, but he is a good player. He may not put the franchise on his back, but he can still develop into a good NFL QB.

Drew Brees, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan (has height though), Chad before injuries, Phillip Rivers of 2010 (has height though)... None of those players are necessarily elite in one category that you named- measurements, arm strength, athleticism. Brees has a good arm, but isnt overly athletic and lacks height. What lies between the ears is what makes him great. Andy Dalton has played at a solid level and has improved over the last two years. He lacks great arm strength and measurements, but is a solid QB. Chad was good because of his accuracy and his mind, didnt have a great arm at all, especially in his latter years. Matt Ryan doesnt have elite arm talent or athleticism or measurements, but the sum of his parts is what makes him very good.

I do agree that I might take a shot on Manuel before Barkley. He's my 4th ranked QB behind Geno, Nassib and EJ. He is probably the most pro ready though, from a mental stand point. I understand that none of his parts are elite, but the sum of his parts is better than the individual aspects. Im not a fan of the Sanchez comparison. I think its the easy comparison and I dont think it would be made if he wasnt from USC. You can have your opinion that he wont be a good QB, because he may not; Im not sitting here banging the table on this guy. I just think that judging him as "franchise saver" is wrong... None of these QBs are necessarily right now. They may develop into one, but none are on that Andrew Luck talent level, and because they are not shouldnt stop you from drafting them and trying to develop them.