Adam Schefter: Buffalo Bills Signed Kevin Kolb

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by soxxx, Mar 4, 2013.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Sorry, I must be missing it.

2. Jets31

Jets31 Banned

Could Kevin Kolb be the New York Jets’ Week 1 starter? Signs and sources point to ‘Yes’

.By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner – 3 hours ago.. .

Get ready, Jets fans. This could be your future. (Getty Images)It hasn't happened yet, but it's a virtual sure thing that current Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb will be former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb sooner than later. Kolb is due a $2 million roster bonus on Saturday, and carries a $13.5 million cap number in 2013 as part of the onerous six-year, $63.5 million contract he signed in July of 2011. New head coach Bruce Arians and new general manager John Keim have no specific ties to Kolb, though Keim was in Arizona's front office when the deal was made, and Arians no doubt would like to move on from a hyper-expensive quarterback who has started just 14 games and thrown just 17 touchdowns in his two seasons with the team.

Where would Kolb go upon his release? Believe it or not, there's a lot of fire behind this smoke: Rumors that he could indeed compete for and win the starting job with the New York Jets have quite a bit of weight to them. New Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg filled that same position for Andy Reid with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2007, when the Eagles selected Kolb in the second round out of Houston.

The decision to take Kolb, many say, was Mornhinweg's as much as anyone's, and Mornhinweg still holds a great affinity for Kolb.

The possibility was first broached by Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News via Twitter on Thursday morning.

Mehta then went into further detail in an article, saying that Kolb would be a quick add to the Jets' roster at the right price.

When Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN's NFL Matchup and I got on the phone Thursday afternoon for a Shutdown Corner free agency podcast, Greg -- who knows Mornhinweg very well -- affirmed that Kolb to the Jets in a major role is a real possibility.

"I'll tell you where he could end up, and only because I know this -- it would not surprise me to see him with the Jets," Cosell said. "Marty Mornhinweg has always been a big, big believer in Kevin Kolb. This might sound like a bold statement, but it's not -- barring injury, and barring Kolb just being horrendous, and we don't know where he stands after getting shellshocked in Arizona ... assuming he's the Kevin Kolb he was with the Eagles, he could win the starting quarterback job.

"Marty has always loved him. And when coaches love a guy, you know how that works. He's got no affinity for Mark Sanchez whatsoever. He's going to look at [Sanchez's] tape, and he's not necessarily going to like what he sees there."

Consider also that Reid, the new head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, did not wait for Kolb's seemingly inevitable release to add him to Kansas City's roster -- he traded with the San Francisco 49ers for Alex Smith, and signed former New Orleans Saints backup Chase Daniel to back Smith up.

The Jets had an unmitigated quarterback disaster in 2012, as Mark Sanchez played poorly -- but not poorly enough for Tim Tebow to get on the field. There were times when former seventh-round pick Greg McElroy looked like the best quarterback on the roster. Mornhinweg recently said that Sanchez has "a leg up" on the current competition at the position, and that competition now includes veteran David Garrard, who the Jets signed off the street on March 11.

It's not exactly manna from heaven for Jets fans tired of sub-par play from their quarterbacks, but Kevin Kolb could be on the way, and he could be starting in the near future.

3. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

On board with this for the right price. Just hope it's for the right price, just like Goodson and anyone else we're chasing. I'm glad this team's not getting wrapped up in FA this season.

4. Jets31

Jets31 Banned

Something tells me they will get active once they secure the right QB. I think Kolb is that guy.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Getting Kolb would make the QB competition an actual competition. Kolb ain't shit but he's probably better than Sanchez at this point.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

This should be interesting to have a decent 3 Qb competition all playing with 1 year left on their contracts

7. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Active Member

I think the Jets should stay away from Hobbes and Kolb

just my honest opinion

Oh and BTW Revis [the dick] and Sanchez [the spic] will be on the roster next year.

10 Day Suspension

#167 TheCleaner, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Nice. The bottom line is there are options other than keeping him. Realistic, attractive options. Unfortunately all we hear out of Jetland is that he is being kept on the team, with no info whatsoever that they are even trying to move him.

These are bad times to be a Jet fan. Very bad.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr I would be very pleased if the Jets got Kolb. Like Orton, who for some reason they are not looking at, he could be the best of the available options. Garrard scares me since he's been out of the game too long and sounds very fragile. Kolb has had injuries, but they were of the nagging but minor sort (turf toe) compared to the nasty stuff Garrard has dealt with.

Kolb is also younger and has more upside than Garrard.

Make it happen, Idzy, and I will stop staying bad things about you (especially if you don't trade Revis).

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I like that Idzik is sticking to his word about QB competition, and would def like to bring Kolb in.
    Is Garrard and Kolb the utmost of competition?....not really.
    But either could surprise and show some spark still left. Suppose the same could be said about Sanchez, but i'm just past ready to move on.
    If they sign Kolb, and end up drafting a QB in any round, Sanchez would likely be gone post Jun 1 to free up the roster spot if nothing else. Short of that, i think he is on the team though with a chance to compete.

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Both are solid points. The slow release would probably be a minus in the WCO where getting the ball out quick is important and apparently Morningwood has some wood for Kolb. It should be a fun training camp.

12. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Some people are calling his run with Arizona a disaster, here are his stats in the 15 games he's played with the Cardinals:

59% (58.65) completion percentage
    17 pass TDs
    11 ints.
    1 rush TD
    5 fumbles

Statistically that is better than most Sanchez seasons at least in touchdown to turnover ratio and completion percentage. His completion percentage was even higher in his last two seasons in Philly with Morningwood as his coach.

It's realistic to think he could win the job. I don't think he'd be a savior or a top 10 QB, but it's not hard to envision him beating out Sanchez and Garrard in an offense he is familiar with.

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Plus he had a terrible OL. Arizona OL was the kind of low quality that shortens QB careers. I'm looking forward to seeing Kolb reunited with MM & seeing Kolb behind a much better line. For the Jets, the bar is very low when it comes to QB improvement.

#173 ajax, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Yep. Sad state of affairs we're in. I could not imagine that our team would be in this situation after the 2010 season.

15. Jets31

Jets31 Banned

Cardinals informed Kevin Kolb of his release.
    Per The Sideline View's Adam Caplan, the sides "discussed various options for him to return," but could not come to an agreement. Interesting, Caplan reports Arizona has "left the door open" for Kolb to return. Kolb would be returning to a competition with Brian Hoyer and Drew Stanton — at the very least — while earning a bargain-basement salary, so we fully expect him to move on. The Jets, Bills and Browns are all possible landing spots.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Lets get it done..

17. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

As @caplannfl reported, Cardinals and Kevin Kolb could not reach agreement on restructured contract and now will release him.

18. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Where can I get my Kevin Kolb jersey?

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sign this stop-gap!

20. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Perspective from Philly:

Kolb made his bones/reputation with one decent game against Arizona (makes sense that that's the team willing to trade for him) while he was an Eagle.

Giant disappointment in ARI.

Can't hurt to bring him in to raise competition, but would not compete for dollars.

Yes his stats look OK, but he also had Larry Fitzgerald to throw to. Sanchez is much better QB.