Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Ummm, sign him to an extension. Our cap situation takes a large relieve next year 2014, and then the new TV contracts hit in 2015.

The Jets do not need to trade Revis, and can set the price. Right now, the mediocre FA CB class is dwindling. The owners from Tampa Bay are pressuring the FO to get Revis.

2. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Exactly I want them to sign him long term not trade him for unproven draft picks

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the Jets aren't as powerless as some people want to make them out to be. if a team wants Revis, then they have no leverage over the Jets just because he will bolt next year. whether the Jets get nothing for him after the season benefits that team absolutely zero if they think Revis will be a difference maker for them during the season.

the longer this goes, the more it benefits the Jets, because if I am a team that wants him, the threat of not getting him is the only thing that matters to me. what happens between him and the Jets after the season is absolutely irrelevant, because it doesn't benefit me one bit.

4. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Don't get me wrong, the best move for the Jets is to trade him. Revis is a luxury for this team right now, and the best way to rebuild is to get as many draft picks as possible.

If we were to get the 13th pick, we can turn that into a 1st and 2nd, or if the demand is their a 1st and 1st. If not, we can draft a potential core player for years to come.

I believe that we will trade out of 9, at least once for this very purpose.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no GM is building their team based on whether another team may get screwed by not getting compensation for a player; they are building their team based on what benefits them the most.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Revis isn't going to get signed long-term in NY. There are too many trust issues involved and any deal that the Jets would sign is going to leave them wondering if Revis will hold out again at some point.

Let's say he came to them with a 6 year $78 million dollar offer with $36 million up front and 6 years at $7 million a year. This is the kind of top of the market deal (nobody is getting paid close to that right now at CB) that Woody might go for.

But then he'd have to think: "so I'm giving Revis $36 million up front and then paying him only $7 million a year after that. What's going to happen when the cap suddenly jumps $10 million between 2014 and 2016?

What's going to happen when some team with a lot of cap space signs the top free agent CB in 2015 to a 6 year $75 million deal and sinks a lot of value into the first year for cap purposes with a $20 million bonus and a $20 million first year salary?

Am I then going to be hearing about how Revis is underpaid because some guy is making $20 million in salary that year and getting a $40 million payout while Revis is getting only $7 million that year?"

It's a bad place to be in when locking up your best player to a long-term contract with lots of guaranteed money isn't enough to guarantee that he won't cause problems down the road. It's hard enough taking the injury risk on a big contract but with Revis that's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of risk.

#486 Br4d, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  7. facch

facch Active Member

Here's a question, what would've happened if Tannebaum were still the GM the past three days? I'd bet Revis is already gone for mediocre compensation. Also, I'd bet there would've been tons of news pouring out and this thread would be near 100 pages. Let's give Idzik a fair shake here before we get too frantic.

As far as even discussing incacerated bob's trade rumors, it's all a joke. I'm surprised people actually entertain the idea that he actually breaks news.

Lastly, I think Revis has lost a lot of money the past three days. Teams are not going to be willing to give up high draft picks and turn around and pay their new DB 16+ annually, long term, off a major injury.

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

You don't know they won't re-sign him if they can't trade him. Negotiations are ugly, and money can put out all fires. They can just give him a flat contract. 6 years 78 Million, and make it weekly roster bonuses. I am just using your numbers.

Bottom line is if the Jets can't trade him, they are not screwed. However, taking less than they think is fair value is setting a precedent.

9. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

you can't really think we turn the 13th pick to a first and a second. that just doesn't seem to make much sense. anyways, i've been saying this for a long time, i just don't think we trade revis. the cap gets much better next year and even though revis is demanding 15-16 million a year, we all know that's not what he's getting. the basic laws of negotiation say you ask for more than what you actually want so when you bargain you end up at the price you want

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Anywhere after 20 the value is the same as 13 for the 1st and 2nd rounder.

If you are picking at 20 or later, you assume that you will be picking around the same area or better next year which is half the value since it is a year later. IN THEORY.

So turning the 13th into a 1st and second or a 1st and 1st is not out of the realm of possibility.

11. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i guess you're right. also there is always a sucker out there

12. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

good information!! I would take next year 1 and this year 2nd and a 7th and call it a day. Get 2 #1s next year with a good QB class

Hell I would even trade back our #9 for a 2 and next year #1 as well

Load them up for next year!

13. Boid Fink

Boid Fink New Member

Bucs fan here. I see the Revis drama is not nearly as bad as it is on our forum, which has now over 39k views, and 110 pages...quite the progression. I digress.

It appears the Bucs are the only team that are actively and realistically in the hunt for Revis, realistic meaning Tampa can give up a few draft picks of note, and perhaps a power back like LGB, AND pay the greedy bastard the money he wants. If Idzik doesn't deal Revis soon, and they do pay him his bonus (1 mil), what are the odds that Johnson and Revis decide to come to terms and resign him long term? Or is that relationship damaged beyond repair?

Personally, I do not think giving up pick 13 this year is a good idea, for many reasons. The leverage game seems to be swtiching into your favor however, as cornerbacks of the second tier variety are getting scooped up left and right. And since we have the Mark Sanchez of Secondaries (meaning it sucks, no offense fellas...I am CERTAIN you agree with me on THAT), the option pool is dwindling, and Dom might be getting antsy to keep his job. If he fails to sign some help in the form of NFL caliber CBs, he will be axed, no doubt. i think the pendulum has swung in your favor...could I be wrong?

14. Br4d

It's hard to see Revis getting signed to an extension due to the history here. There has to be good faith on both sides and neither side seems to trust the other much.

Given the circumstances I don't think the Jets will ever have a lot of leverage in trade talks however I do think they've pulled about even with the Bucs at this point.

I think if the Bucs offered a decent later pick this year plus Blount and the 1st next year the deal might get done. I think if they offered their 2nd this year plus Blount and the 1st next year it would put the Jets in a very tough position and they might have to go for it.

15. Boid Fink

Boid Fink New Member

So are you of the theory that Revis can only be had for at least one first round pick, and potentially a second, with said player (LGB)?

If I were Dom, I would offer two seconds and Blount, and just wait. The problem is, the Bucs lack of activity in pursuit of a CB of some worth has gone by without a peep. And considering how historically bad that seconday was, it seems like a poor move on his part to give away the first which is clearly going to be needed to shore up the depth charts, and to keep players cheaper on their rook deals. Revis contract is going to consume a buig chunk.

What do you guys think he is asking for?

Some speculate it is roughly 15 mil per. If so, that is ridiculous. But the return on payment is incredible.

16. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I understand the cap situation after this coming season. But all this assumes Revis will want to come back. I don't think he will after the way Idzik and Woody have done him this offseason.

17. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I don't see how it can't matter. The owner has been quoted by numerous sources saying he doesn't want to pay the guy. The Jets have gone from 8 potential suitors to 2. And again, we are assuming Revis wants to come back, which is a huge assumption, especially given the way Idzik has handled this thus far (i.e., lying and freezing revis out).

I can see this thing blowing up in Idzik's face. Just take the 2014 1st rounder and a 2013 second or third rounder and call it a day.

18. Br4d

The Jets aren't going to give Revis away. If the offer is something that they might conceivably get as a rental offer in August if a contender's #1 CB went down they're not going to take that offer now. They're just going to keep playing their hand in that situation. Time is not on their side but it's still early in the game.

He's asking for every last dollar he can get. He'll settle for the highest offer in free agency if he has too but he's not going to settle before then unless somebody gives him an offer that he can't refuse given the ACL rehab and free agency being a season away.

19. Boid Fink

Boid Fink New Member

What time does Revis have to be moved before the bonus kicks in?

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

really? i haven't seen anything directly quoting woody as saying that