Thoughts on Dolphins?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Mar 13, 2013.

1. allan1

allan1 Active Member

I'd be worried...you know if Pittsburgh doesn't want you, chances are they know something. That is a top tier organization in terms of player evaluation. Sure Holmes was key for us in 2010...but the last two years has been hell. The Steelers know what they're doing

2. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I do agree with you there man.

The Steelers don't let go of players that are worth their keep. We should have learned that lesson with Joey Porter.

I hope this is different.

3. Testaverde

Testaverde Active Member

Didn't the Steelers offer him an extension for 10 Million per season? I don't think it is a question of Pitt not wanting him, but rather Pitt not being able to afford him.

As far as the Dolphins moves; I like the Wallace signing for them. 12m a season seems high, but you have to consider how the contract is structured and what the cap hit will be the first few seasons. I doubt his cap hit for the first couple of years will be much more than we are paying Holmes.

Every offense will be better with a proven speed receiver. Speed alone doesn't really matter much as we saw with Gates in Miami and Gates with us. But a proven speed receiver will make a world of difference for an offense. Wallace is a proven deep threat with rare speed.

I though the trade out of Burnett for Wheeler and Ellerbe for Dansby was pretty slick. I don't trust Ireland's evaluation, but I do trust Ozzie and I know the Ravens really wanted Ellerbe back. I don't know a lot about Wheeler but from all reports, he sounds like a solid LB. The Dolphins got younger and actually saved 800,000 against the cap this year with the 2 moves, and I don't think they lost anything from a talent standpoint. They should be better and being able to cover the tight ends with this younger and faster LBs.

They still have a lot of holes to fill but still have a lot of cap space and draft picks. If you are a Dolphins fan, you have to love what they did on day 1.

4. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

This. We overpaid him a little bit but that's the name of the game in free agency. The Steelers are confident in their draft process and are comfortable rolling with Antonio Brown at #1.

We couldn't afford to go into the season with Hartline or a rookie as #1 again when we just spent the 8 pick on a QB. You have to give the kid some weapons, especially when you're letting Jake Long go. Mike Wallace will open up opportunities for quick screens and slants to help mitigate the loss of the starting LT and Reggie Bush.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He also played in one less game, had six more touchdowns (32 in his 4 year career) and had 2 previous ~1200 yard recieving seasons.

I hate the dolphins more than any team in league, I'm just saying that little stat has gotten thrown around alot the last couple days but it's a little ridiculous as Kerley is not even close to half the reciever that Wallace is.

It was a good signing as Wallace has all-world speed and is a proven, deadly WR. Wallace and Hartline should be a great combo.

Ellerbee was a good signing too, he was very underrated in Baltimore.

If they do in fact lose Jake Long though that will be a hit. I still think this offseason was a plus for Miami though, unfortunately.

Tannehill is still a big question mark for them, but they are being smart by giving him weapons to throw too. If Tannehill progresses they could make a run at the playoffs, but I happen to believe he's not any good.

6. Static

Static New Member

its nice to see them active, and trying to fill the holes, but until i see the results on the field, it is still just pipe dreams....

7. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

As I said before ... IMO Marshall is better than Wallace but still an obvious upgrade.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Tannehill is the real deal the Dolphins are on the rise. If he's not they're not. Nothing they've done in free agency so far has had a major impact on Tannehill's chances to succeed next year. Losing Jake Long and not signing a decent LT though would really suck.

9. FriendlyDolphin

Thank you for being objective and not blindly hating like pretending the worse will have on every accounts to a rival.

10. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

Exactly right ... If you don't have a QB that can produce at least an 85 QB rating consistently than you are wasting time.

All the top flight WRs in the world don't amount to anything without a competent man delivering the ball.

11. wdunn60958

wdunn60958 New Member

Im not sure how I feel about Keller potentially coming to Miami. I know he has always done well against us, but how do most Jets fans feel about Keller?

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He's a slightly above average receiving tight end who sucks at blocking. Hopefully the Dolphins over pay him too. Honestly, I'd prefer Fasano.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

no running game and lack of corners, and offensive line. Dolphins just making signings but will still have issues

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Wallace (833 snaps) may have played in one fewer game but he still had more snaps than Kerley (749 snaps) in 2012. He also had a little better QB to work with and the Steelers attempted nearly 100 more pass attempts than the Jets.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts2012

And I agree Wallace is better than Kerley - he's just way over paid by the Dolphins.

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Wallace and Ellerbe were nice signings, but also very expensive.
    Losing Sean Smith, Bush, Long, Fasano is pretty big as well. Kind of a wash in terms of FA to me.

They have a lot of draft picks coming up which is more important.

Their success depends on hitting on those picks, and of course, will be determined by how Tannehill progresses or not.

16. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

I wouldn't say no running game ... Lamar Miller averaged 4.9 ypc last year albeit in spot duty. He flashed, but still needs to be seen in a featured role.

As far as offensive line goes ... Pouncey is a top 3 center in the nfl. Incognito was a top ranked guard (pro bowl too), Johnathon Martin played decent for a rookie. John Jerry played ok ... Winston would be great.

17. FriendlyDolphin

fasano does not deserve to be in category of a big loss as he is very expendable and replaceable. Smith was at best a 2nd CB and for the money he wants from what I heard makes everyone with a sane mind want to look for better options out there.

18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll be great but they'll probably be better than us. Although that's not saying much, I guess.

19. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Fuck Sean Smith lol. I'm tired of watching him be in perfect position and do nothing and then think he needs to be paid like a true #1 corner. At least when Vontae got burnt it was because he was too aggressive and bit on a double move or something. But Sean Smith is sweet like kool-aid lol

20. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

It always annoyed me to no end when he would get burnt on a move only to have the QB overthrow the WR and Sean gets up doing the exagerrated "incomplete" sign and acting like he just made the gamechanging play