Flacco Richest Qb in NFL history 6 years 120 million

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by S.HOLMES.10, Mar 1, 2013.

1. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

They pretty much had to do it.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

What a joke. And I thought Sanchez was overpaid.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Deserves it. Most wins, 5 playoff appearance, 11 td to 0 int. in playoffs.

Most of all, he delayed the contract, he shot down an offer last september and it paid off. Guy deserves everything he gets.

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

This was an overreaction, but Flacco had all the leverage.

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

I don't think he deserved all that. Yeah he played amazing in the playoffs, but he's never done much in the regular season. He's been decent at best in the regular season.

I font consider him elite for a good playoff run, just like I don't consider Eli Manning elite whatsoever.

If Flacco can get 6 years $120 mil, Rodgers should be able to get 6 years $150+ mil easy. But I don't think that he's a guy that would completely gut his team to get paid like Flacco.

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Well the Ravens can kiss their SB chances going forward goodbye paying this guy 1/6 of the cap. He's good but hes not good enough to make up for the guys they won't be able to sign because of his inflated contract. Unless he takes it up another notch which I don't see happening

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Flacco is in the class of Eli manning.

Not top level. One level below Peyton-Brady-Brees-Rodgers.

And this guy will get 120 million.

Nice. I hated Ravens anyway. Since I became a Jet fan in 2005, these guys are always kicking our ass. I would love to see them suffering. Flacco will criple their budget for the years ahead.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Being only 28 and 5 years in, I think it's likely he does get better. He's still young in QB years.

I agree though huge cap figure.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I think he can get better too. I meant that I don't see him taking it up to the Brady/Brees/A-rod level of being able to carry a team to a deep playoff run.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

But he just did. Reality is greater than perception in this case. 11 TDs to 0 Picks while averaging 285 yards a game. The Ravens averaged 33.5 points per game during thier SB run. TD passes accounted for 77 of thier 134 playoff points.

No, he may not seem other worldly like Rodgers, Manning, Brees or Brady do at times, but he did just win a SB where his defense gave up 31 points.

This is the state of our NFL now days. if your a QB that wins a superbowl, yoru going to get alot of money. He means as much to the Ravens as Rothislberger does to the Steelers and he's gettign paid like it.

Now the real test of just how good Ozzie Newsome begins. Can he continue ot feild a competitive team year in and year out with 1/6th of his cap tied up in a QB and no Ray Lewis in the locker room?

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He played against the Colts, whose pass defense sucks.
    He played against the Broncos, who actually had a good defense.
    He played against the Patriots, whose pass defense sucks more than the Colts.
    And he played against the 49ers, who had a good pass defense, but their secondary still left something to be desired.

You say he averaged 285 yards a game, but unfortunately, this is 2013 where 285 yards a game is no big deal. Also, his receivers in every game racked up a lot of YAC which padded the stats.

Sorry, but Flacco isn't great. He's very good and very good QBs don't deserve $20mil a year.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

imagine what sanchez will make once everyone realizes he is better than flacco like junc says.

it really will be a test for them to rebuild that defense over the next few years with so much tied up at qb, they also have an aging wr in boldin and

14. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

You're dismissing 4 playoffs wins (2 on the road in very tough environments) like they're nothing. Flacco was flawless in all of them. I dont care what the quality of the defenses were, this is the NFL and Flacco was phenomenal during the playoff run. The Ravens had no choice.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Ravens paid him for what the team finally got done. He was a key part of that but he was only part of that. I think this is the beginning of a decline phase for the Ravens. With the Steelers on the outs also it's very possible that the AFC North is really up for grabs for the first time in 7 or 8 seasons and might be up for a window grab.

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

It really is a QB driven league.

This guy never broke 4000 yards passing, or went for more than 25 tds. He completed 59% of his passes this year...

Amazing. Flacco hit the lottery with that playoff run.

#16 Organized Chaos, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  17. Boh

Boh Member

joe Flacco's cap number for 2013 could be as low as $7M. Even if these reports are inaccurate, it will almost certainly be lower than $10M. This is significantly lower than the $14.9M the non-exclusive franchise tag would have incurred. The Ravens will now be able to put together their roster for 2013 with much more room for potential cap casualties and free agents. The long-term deal is great news for the Ravens and for us fans.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a 6 year $120M deal. If the cap figure for 2013 is really only $10M that makes the average in years 2 to 6 $22M. The cap is zero-sum. Unless Flacco agreed to a deal that he knew was backloaded and would not be paid out the Ravens are in cap trouble already.

I guess it's possible that there's a huge option bonus next year instead of a signing bonus. Then the Ravens get Flacco for one year cheap, don't pay the option bonus and he goes on the market next season. I think his agents probably are smart enough not to take a deal like that. He just QB'd a win in the Super Bowl in a contract year. That's a huge cash payout either from the team or on the market.

#18 Br4d, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Guys, before commenting let's see how the contract is structured! Probably a huge 6th year to force the side to reach an extension before then.

20. Professor Frink

Good point. Without seeing the structures and guarantees of the deal, the numbers we have now are essentially worthless. That 6th year is completely worthless, his salary definitely won't be guaranteed and the bonus can only prorate over five years, meaning no dead money in his last year.