My Revis conflict

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 12, 2013.

1. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Isn't that what any good GM does? You always listen to offers but doesn't mean your trading him.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think Revis will play his last season with the Jets and walk away.

Jets won't extend him until knowing he will be his old self. Another team won't give anything until they see how he recovers from his injury.

3. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

The thing is if we trade revis it really isn't giving us much salery cap savings. And he's not worth giving up for only a first round pick. I never liked the idea of given up a proven player, and he is more then just a proven player, for a draft pick who you can swing and miss. Say we trade him for a first and we draft Keenan Allen, or gio. Your telling me you would trade revis straight up for one of these guys? That's asinine

4. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Give the man his money he deserves. I wouldn't blame him for holding out again. His contract now was a band aid and was only temporary, they were supposed to have given him his long term deal by now. You should treat your best players and home grown players right. Woody is so into selling tickets and merchandise then why doesn't he resing revis?

5. Windeos

Windeos Member

The thing I don't understand about this whole situation is that if the Jets were really interested in moving Revis for draft picks, why wouldn't they let Revis re-establish his value again by playing the start of next season?

This would then be selling Revis with value rather than at his lowest point value wise due to coming off this season with a big injury.

Let him re-establish his dominance and then if you so choose, ship him during the season when his value will be back to sky high. We'd also have the added advantage of getting 1st round pick/s and maybe some middle round picks in the 2014 draft which we could flip for our new franchise quarterback in Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel.

Then I could see the justification for trading our best player because we are looking to bring in our new franchise QB to lead us long term. Then and only then would I be fine trading Revis.

You never sell low on any asset and that could be what the Jets FO end up doing.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They will either end up overpaying him when this year is over or he will walk away and they will get nothing. Doubtful anybody will give much in a trade knowing that. Just one more masterful Tannenshit blunder.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's going to be harder for Revis and the acquiring team to work out a long-term extension when free agency is just months away and he has fully established his recovery from the injury.

The Revis free agency sweepstakes is going to put him up on a very high pedestal for a month next spring. It's going to be a big event for his brand. If the Jets are going to trade him and get any kind of real value they need to do it while the prospects of the big market are still dimmed somewhat by Revis own insecurity about a full return to form.

It sucks but it is what it is.

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

This is a smokescreen to trade Cromartie. All of it.

9. Br4d

Well, it certainly makes for an interesting counter offer from the Jets when things seem unrealistic on the Revis front. I think they should probably trade both of them but letting Cromartie go would be a good start, both cap-wise and in terms of rebuilding.

The last time the Jets let both of their starting CB's go after a season was 2002. They went from 12th in points allowed to 14th.

#529 Br4d, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

This fucking GM better not 'settle' on some BS compensation for arguably one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

If we can't get something reasonable, there is NO downside to let him play at least through preseason and possibly up to the trade deadline, and then re-evaluate. If he's back to Revis level, we will get more from a team that wants to make a run.

If he's gimpy, his asking price will go down dramatically and we might be able to keep him. Either way, there's no reason to rush this...unless you get blown away by an offer which I highly doubt.

11. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i'm fairly fed-up with revis. he's a brilliant player but how many holdouts and lengthy, acrimonious negotiations do we have to endure?
    and, btw, he didn't even play last season. i don't *blame* him for getting injured, but it's an example of why these deals are gambles and going in too far can backfire. he was injured the year he held out as well, wasn't he? didn't he have a lingering hamstring issue most of the year?
    he's a great player when in shape but even revis isn't a sure-thing anymore. might be wise to move-on.

12. jetfan2k3

jetfan2k3 Member

We really need to sign a petition to keep revis a jet. Im tired of this owner. I wont watch a game this season if hes not a jet. This is sad

13. usc1978

usc1978 New Member

Not saying that isn't the case or shouldn't be the case, but that has not been the case so far. Revis made less than $2M per year in endorsements the last couple of years. That also doesn't account for states with no income tax.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wouldn't trade them both until I have a valuable option at CB. Say we trade Revis, Cromartie, bring in Nnamdi and return him to the man to man defense, maybe it would be a good idea. He was misused in Philly. Nnamdi and Wilson aren't exactly the options you want at CB but, we could then afford a stud free safety.

15. Br4d

What about trading Revis and Cromartie and signing LaRon Landry to a $6M a year deal to sit in the middle for the Jets and help out the young CB's they'll have playing outside?

Great defenses are built from the middle out. Reed in Baltimore, Polamalu in Pittsburgh, Lynch on the great Tampa defenses, Woodson playing safety for the 2000 Ravens, etc.

16. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more flip the picks into pass rushers and a future qb. We have been spoiled with our back field but our defense is built backwards and having stellar corners with a terrible front 7 is just in realistic to winning

17. Br4d

Yep, front to back and middle to outside. That's where you get the really dominant defenses that do it without resorting to constant smoke and mirrors to get the job done.

Not that I'm against smoke and mirrors. I think Rex Ryan is worth a hall of fame CB all by himself on defense.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The jets would be stupid not to explore the option of trading Revis and gauging how much he could return when healthy.If Revis truly wants to remain a Jet for life he will need to change his expectations money wise. And honestly the marketing opportunities here bring him so much money that he would be stupid to walk away and go to a smaller market. At the end of the day if both sides are willing to compromise we will sign him. If he leaves it'll suck because he's just an amazing talent. Players like him don't come along often and when they happen to play for your team it makes it even harder but its about the Jets as a whole and not just Revis.

19. Br4d

If he's gimpy why would the Jets sign him to a long term deal?

There's no upside to waiting until the whistle blows to start trading him in earnest. If he's doing well he'll want unrestricted free agency at the end of the season or a monster contract that convinces him to forgo that. If he's not doing well his trade value will evaporate and it'll be really risky to make any long-term commitment to him.

The sweet spot to trade Revis is probably before the draft, to somebody who has cap space and is seriously considering using the 1st round pick on a CB anyway. With Revis they know exactly what his upside is and they just have to get a handle on the risk involved. 1st round CB vs Darrelle Revis. There's a good chance somebody who wants to win next year will bite on that.

A Super Bowl win is worth 32 1st round draft picks because that's how many picks the average team will make before they win one.

20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

2013 second round pick and conditional 2014 pick that starts as a second rounder and then escalates to a first if the team makes the playoffs/Revis plays in 13+ games or something.