My Revis conflict

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Not made up by fans though - it's been in all the articles about it, including Cimini.

Granted it could be another case of the Media playing a role instead of just reporting but, it sounds like they were tipped off and it was floated from somewhere...Again, I wish these NY media ppl would go hound R Sherman and his 500k salary and help level the playing field FOR the Jets.

That said. on the opposite side of the numbers, I'd love to see the "KEEP REVIS" camp come up with a fair deal where the team should definitely keep Revis - This way when we see the numbers are much closer to "Best Defender in the NFL" numbers we can all point and laugh while solidifying that Revis is a Greedy bastard who has no care for this TEAM or it's fans.

GO>

2. Capt. Ace Nick

Trade Revis and draft Leon Sandcastle!

3. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

If I'm Revis and i'm 100% Greedy Ass Bastard who cares nothing else except the money I can make on my next deal I do this:

Rehab well into the season.... get myself as close to 100% VS how many games I need to get myself FA eligible.....

Then after next year at 100% Health I put myself on the FA market and sign the highest deal I can.

That's how I see it going down...... because The Jets aren't paying him now, no team is going to give a top pick AND pay him or rent him off an ACL.

UNLESS, some team can come up with some incentive based / injury protected deal that I'm still not sure TEAM MEVI$ would sign when they can just pretty much wait till next years payday.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Good point on Rex. :beer:

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Neon Leon! Make it happen.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The Jets have two choices.

Pay him

Ship him out for a second round pick.

Otherwise, he'll be a chronic hamstring problem (which will be explained away by team Mevi$) as being due to missing the year prior.

At some point the team has to play hardball back.

If he gets a hamstring issue this season IR him.

What's the value of a CB that's not played competitive for 2 years. It ain't 16 mil, that's for sure.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

There. Your answer is screaming right at you.

8. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

9. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

why cause they listened to some teams calls about the situation? that doesnt mean a damn thing other than, they listened to some teams calling about revis. until idzik or rex or anyone else mentions something, im going to chalk it up as more media bs. nice 16 million number thrown in too... also notice hes a dolphins reporter by any chance?

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

too many reporters stirring things up right now

The combine 1st of all is for prospects not to discuss contracts let along players current;ly under contract.

2nd of all Revis is seeking a big pay day yes but 16M is a lot and I doubt he even thinks he's getting it. Remember part of negotiating is asking for more than you want in order to get what you want

Say Revis wants 13-14M, if asks for such he'll end up with 11M or another band aid deal, asking for 16M gets him at least 14M in the end which should be enough for him

7years/99M, 60M guaranteed is the deal I would offer

11. AlToon

AlToon Member

I'm absolutely amazed some people believe Woody will pay Revis. Come to an agreement on a new contract? Huh? Trade is the last resort?

Rex has no say in this. He shouldn't. Ryan has two years remaining on his contract. If Woody doesn't give him an extension after 2013,Rex is a lame duck.

Jets GM John Idzik may not have found time to meet with Darrelle Revis’ agents at the NFL Combine last week, but a source said he did manage to squeeze in Revis trade talk with multiple teams in Indianapolis.

Despite the damage control talk from Idzik and Rex Ryan in Indy about how much they value Revis, the source told the Daily News on Tuesday that Idzik was “actively” shopping Revis at the combine, and interested teams are now doing their homework on what it would take to get Revis signed to a new contract if they can satisfy the Jets with compensation.

The Daily News reported exclusively Tuesday that Idzik, Ryan and team owner Woody Johnson didn’t meet with Revis’ camp during the Combine.

Idzik is basically flying solo on the Revis talks, with Ryan and other members of the organization (other than Johnson) out of the loop.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...aling-mistake-article-1.1274592#ixzz2M6QzTajE

Woody does not want to pay Revis. Idzik is trying to trade Revis. That's all you need to know. Tampering is an issue in the NFL. They can't really stop it. Other teams have spoken to the Revis camp about the contract. Satisfy all parties. The Jets come to an agreement on the compensation for Revis. The acquiring team signs Revis to a contract as part of the deal. It won't be easy with the flat cap until 2015 but it looks like the cap might come in at $123M and not $121M.

12. Canadajetsfan

Canadajetsfan New Member

Nothing wrong with exploring options. I think you need to know what teams are offering when you sit down to negotiate his contract. More media BS to try and validate the circus story line.

13. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

One of the best things I've read in a long time concerning Jets. GM is exploring options and he's operating alone for now. No leaks or rumours to the media. No headlines until actions actually occur.

Rex tried to be friendly to the media when he started. They turned on him & even followed him on vacation to take pictures of him. Anything to draw attention even if it could make him & the organization look bad. Seeing how the media turn on somebody so dramatically, I totally understand why every coach/gm gives them nothing normally.

14. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Rotoworld:

15. Br4d

$12M a year in NY is worth more to Revis than $14M a year elsewhere. That's just in endorsements and having Revis Island associated with Manhattan Island. I'm actually slightly optimistic that Darrelle will recognize this and re-sign with the Jets at a manageable number with salaries guaranteed in the deal to give him some certainty.

I don't think Rex is going anywhere unless the Jets flounder this year. If they have a bad record or collapse at the end for the third season in a row he is toast but if he holds it together with a young rebuilding team I think he has the last year of his contract to get the Jets back to the playoffs.

Lovie Smith went 10-6 and got fired but the Bears had one playoff appearance in his last six seasons coaching.

#515 Br4d, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I really hope there is some team out there willing to give up retarded compensation to acquire Revis. It really is sad when you're going to lose a player of this caliber.

17. Br4d

Losing any 28 year old player for a 1st round pick is probably break even if your scouting department is worth anything. Maybe a QB is worth more than that if he's not eating a huge chunk of the cap but it would be hard to find another player going post-prime who is.

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Revis is on the market? Really? That's so shocking, I just can't believe it. Thanks for creating this thread.

19. Br4d

Maybe the Jets gave a few teams permission to talk to Revis agents at the combine alongside an NDA with some teeth in it?

20. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Talking heads on SNY were saying 17 million.

With the way the corners played without him, no thanks Revis.