Report: Matt Barkley met with Bills, Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by neid92, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

must admit there is a small snickering part of my brain that would like to see barkley go at 9 to the jets.....

just to witness the absolute meltdown around here.

would be epic and priceless.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think any QB on the 9 would cause that result. You can make an argument that Geno Smith is a value pick on the 9 but it would cause the board to explode.

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It would be epic...soul crushing from a fan point of view, but epic on the boards, yeah.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Nacho Redux?

5. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

I've watched both Sanchez and Barkley in college and would rather have Sanchez than Barkley... coming out of college. Sanchez may be an afterthought for a majority of us fans but Barkley isn't an upgrade. Pass on Qb's this draft. FA is the only option that makes sense this year.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And this year's FA crop for QB isn't exactly sexy either.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

All we need this year is a hold the fort guy.
    Legitimate competition for Sanchez & let the chips fall where they may.

I'd concentrate on getting other key offensive positions in order, like the O-line, RB, TE, WR.
    This should be an evaluation year, and in my opinion Sanchez should get this season under this new offensive staff to see if there's anything there before dumping him in 2014.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's really the only option we have left, it's the legitimate way. Better off letting the Sanchez / Rex Ryan era crash and burn to the ground completely. Start off anew with a new QB and maybeeee a new HC the next season

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Great post.

Plus you'd have all the haters (e.g. WFAT Francessa) tripping over themselves to blast the pick (and the Jets), Hobbs & nyjunc being put on 24/7 suicide watch, booze sales going through the roof, etc...it would be epic ...

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Even better is the Jets not only get Barkeley, but they keep Sanchez, have Muck start with no competition, and announce that Muck will help groom him. For a few years, of course.

That might trigger the Apocalypse. End of Days.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Barkley = Sanchez the sequel!

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

First of all....if you've been paying attention....there is NO TOP 10 QB in the draft.

Now, if the Jets were to trade down, get some extra picks. And take this guy...it is what it is...but all things being equal, guys like you, that bash Sanchez, never want to man up, and explain the OC context of it.

You can now add Boomer to the list of guys that are on record as saying no QB could survive in that environment.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Let's trade UP to the #5 pick in the draft and take him. Oh, wait, that didn't work so well with good ol' butt fumble.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hobbes, cool your jets. My post was was directed towards jilozzo's black, fatalist humor which was pretty funny and which BB 'got' as well. This had nothing to do with making any contention about any QBs being top 10-worthy.

Again, cool your jets and don't pigeonhole people as "bashing Sanchez" and "not manning up / OC context." Poor Mark, boo hoo ... yeah we get it. Listen, fwiw, my big picture pipe dream for the Jets centers around putting a foundation in place beginning with a line that keeps a Jet QB on his feet, pushes the pile, and allows the QB to take his shots downfield on his, the QB's terms. With MM putting in a version of the WC offense, use a 6th or 7th to draft a FB, either Zack Line (SMU) or Kyle Juszczyk (Harvard) to go with Powell & McKnight. But first put some foundation blue-chippers such Warmack and another stud in place in 2013. For WRs, you have Holmes, Hill, Kerley and Edwards. Defense (for now), grab an OLB in the 3rd. I know this paints an incomplete picture but the NYJ aren't turning it around in one year. Further, who knows whether we'll have Revis or some extra draft picks.

The Jets will suck in 2013 - no sense trying to put an at best 8-8 paper tiger on the field. Get the 10-year starter, non-reach draft picks in place, take your medicine in 2013 and then fill in more of the gaps with 2014 draft picks and free agents in a not so cap-restrictive year. By then, you'll have your final answer on whether Sanchez can or can't do.

Forget the butt fumble and the fact that the guy puts the ball on the ground way too often, that 3rd pick in the Titan game alone (throwing into triple coverage with checkdown Bilal Powell wide open) was alarming(!) and enough for me, a former Sanchez believer, to raise a slew of red flags. That was Ryan Lindley pathetic. You remember Ryan Lindley, right? He was the guy Mark Sanchez beat in that 7-6 'shootout' .... at home.

Speaking of the Cards, I wouldn't fall off the chair if they grabbed Barkley with the 7th pick. Hell if nothing else (and assuming his shoulder is not an issue), I think Barkley brings a tougher, smarter package to the position than Sanchez. And there's got to be a reason why Sanchez couldn't beat out John David Booty (an eventual 5th round pick washout) and why Pete Carroll started Matt Barkley from day one as a freshman.

The knock against Sanchez was that he came out a year too soon. The knock against Barkley is he should've come out a year earlier.

#74 joe, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  15. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

When I read your post, I thought of this:

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
    Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Thanks for the chuckle.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This kid is FOR REAL. Jets should trade down to the 237th spot in the 7th round and give him a shot.

17. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Or 9. But who's counting?

18. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Not drafting a player solely because of the school he went to is BEYOND dumb. Seriously. Just because Sanchez hasn't panned out the way we wanted doesn't mean Barkley is doomed to fail as well.

#78 21stAmendment, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  19. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

MT:Greg Cosell ‏@gregcosell
    Think back to when Sanchez came out (not Sanchez now). He had a stronger arm with much better movement. More explosive lower body movement than Barkley.

Rotoworld:
    After watching over 250 of his college throws, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes USC QB Matt Barkley is a "fourth-round talent" on tape.
    Cosell is perhaps the most respected tape watcher in football circles. "Number one, he has average arm strength by NFL standards," Cosell said. "Number two, his feet are not particularly quick, he has slower feet. And three, he's a little shorter." Elaborating on Twitter, Cosell said he believes Barkley could be an NFL starter, but would require an elite supporting cast. His biggest reservations are Barkley's arm strength and athleticism, as Cosell stated Mark Sanchez had a "stronger arm" with "much better movement" in the pocket coming out of USC. With opinions all over the map, it's hard to forecast where Barkley will be drafted. Clearly, though, he'd be a severe reach in the top ten.

20. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

In 2011 the top four schools for number of NFL players was Miami, Texas, USC, and OSU.

Picking a kid based on his conference is as dumb as not picking a kid bc of a previous bad player from a certain school.

Matt Barkley sucks, whether he went to USC or Alabama. Kid is the righty Leinart, but worse.