Report: Matt Barkley met with Bills, Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by neid92, Feb 25, 2013.

1. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Saw the following blog on NFL Nation Blog on ESPN today.

The quarterback-needy teams in the AFC East both have their eye on USC prospect Matt Barkley. According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, Barkley met with nine teams at the NFL combine -- and the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills were in that group.

Barkley is one of the great mysteries in this year's draft. He would have been a sure-fire, top-10 pick if he had left school early after the 2011 season. But Barkley chose to come back to USC in 2012, had some flaws in his game exposed and suffered through an injury-plagued season.

The Jets and Bills are desperately looking for quarterbacks. Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick both flopped in New York and Buffalo, respectively, and are not the long-term solutions. Both AFC East teams have top-10 picks and should have a shot at Barkley if they're interested in the first round.

But Barkley comes with a lot of questions and would be a risky pick for the Bills at No. 8 or the Jets at No. 9. Both AFC East teams may be better off taking safer players in the first round to address other needs.

2. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USC qb's, other than palmer before the knee injury, are steaming piles of crap. no thanks.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

oh man i have a bad feeling about this - especially at #9.

call me ignorant but can the jets just stay away from a west coast QB.

i pulled enough of my hair out with obrien and the rest with sanchez

give me a weather roughened QB east of the mississippi and north of the border.

4. jetski10

jetski10 New Member

NO MORE usc qb'S.

5. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

It's not gonna happen, the jets won't make the same mistake twice in taking a USC QB... I'm sure of it.

Someone hold me, I'm scared

6. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

This is my worst fear going into the draft. I wouldn't want Barkley with a 4th round pick, let alone a 1st 2nd. I'd much rather take a chance on Bray or Nassib

7. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Wonderful. Take another USC bum and turn a bad situation into a disaster!

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I don't trust any quarterback in this draft, but I'm not going to be angry at the Jets for talking to him.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Great just great

10. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

Isnt the draft like a complex game of chess or poker.

We'll interview a shed load of players, Be linked with more than a few. "show interest" in a few. Don't give you're hand away

Edit: apart from kansas and arizona we are the most QB controversial team. Might as well roll with it.

11. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

How DARE we talk to a quarterback when we have the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. The audacity.

12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

So what? He probably talked to like 28 teams. We've probably talked to a number of QBs and probably did last year as well. Doesn't really mean they would consider drafting him. Could be to send a message to Sanchez, could be to throw off the other GMs picking around us to make them think we're considering picking him so they either trade up or down or just pick him ahead of us (although at 8 or sooner that's highly unlikely).

I'm assuming he would still be on the board at our second pick, I still think our first three picks should be WR/DE/OLB (not necessarily in that order) or maybe RB if a really good one lands our way. I'd stay away from QB this draft and then if we're really bad next year as well then draft a QB with a high pick and hope it works out better than Sanchez did.

No to Barkley though.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]wuWKhPGzN6U[/YOUTUBE]

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

sometimes i wonder... so if andrew luck had played for usc you would be scared of him? you do realize that the usc qbs are all different players with different strengths and weaknesses right? that many of them played for different coaches? came from different areas?

i just dont understand the absurdity of not wanting him or being mad the jets talked to him because he is a usc qb. thats just plain absurd.

dont like it because you dont think he is any good, or are afraid of his injured shoulder or shit even because you dont like blonde haired jets qbs for fear they will remake flash gordon.

i have no idea what he is or what he will become, i cant trust anything that lane kiffin touches.

15. JerseyFrasca

JerseyFrasca New Member

Why can't it be they are talking with him to provoke other teams to consider trading up? Just sayin...

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Not even Mike Tannenbaum would trade up for Barkley. Just sayin

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Good post. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

18. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

But Rex Ryan would. Just sayin...

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What's wrong with looking? Maybe he's good. Maybe he isn't. Maybe we know a team behind us is itching to get him so we are playing games with them. Whole lot of scenarios including maybe we draft him if he is available. Would I like to pass on Barkley because we just had a USC QB that struggled and USC QBs haven't had much success recently? Of course. Is that the logic I want the Jets FO to be using, of course not.

20. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

I'd stay away...