Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Feb 5, 2013.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Aside from the Cro to Houston trade which as mentioned is pretty unlikely, I'm not a huge fan of the guys we'd get.

Mingo has been talked about to death but I think I'd take Ansah over him and that's saying something.

Jones is solid, wouldn't have any complains on him.

I think Reed is just Keller 2.0. We need a more well rounded starting tight end.

Franklin is OK but there are other RB's that I like more that I think will be available.

Rogers and Swearinger will be gone by those picks.

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

swing and a miss. thanks for the constructive criticism guys.

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

:beer::jets:

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You have our team needs down very well and for the most part have decent values involved. Mocks are always opinion based with pluses and minuses to them. I've seen much much worse out there.

5. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

I know this sounds simple but wouldnt it be wise for us to just go with the BPA on the board at the time of the draft. Then do that every draft and we could have a less probability of getting Bust type of players and we will have quality players .

6. Quack

Quack New Member

Oakland needs so much help in so many positions that they have to go BPA which takes Milliner out of the equation. The Browns will be going with a pass rusher. The Lions need either a DE or an OT.

Sorry if I seem harsh at times I'm just trying to be honest.

1. Barkevious Mingo (LSU, OLB) - Mingo gets destroyed in the run game and has zero contain responsibility on his pass rush. He's a high motor player with amazing stamina who goes every bit as hard on the last play of the game as he does on the first, but he is in no way, shape, or form a fit for a Ryan defense. 1-gap 3-4 OLB BIG, 2-gap 3-4 OLB small. When Mingo goes up against better OTs he is entirely neutralized and his lack of power will shine more in the NFL than it did his senior season. He needs to learn to cover and play OLB in a 4-3 like Von Miller because he's not made to take on linemen in the run or the pass game.

2. Barrett Jones (Alabama, OG) - Barrett Jones is a great lineman and he should be able to play anywhere on the line and do so well. He should, however, be gone by the end of the first - You never know though and early second is definitely within variance margin for the pick.

2. Jordan Reed (Florida, TE) - Jordan Reed is a very good receiver who looks great because he goes up against linebackers. He's already a freak of an athlete. The issue is that he can't block, and speedy receiving TEs that can't block are just over-sized receivers. Send him out wide if you want but the guy can't even cut block right. He's a weapon and a risk at the same time and if you didn't like Keller's nature in this regard then you'll hate Reed. I'm not saying he's a bad player, just don't see the TE listing and expect a TE.

3. Johnathan Franklin (UCLA, RB) - Franklin is a good runner with great hands for a RB and damn elusive, but I have to disagree big time: He is not a fit for a zone blocking scheme. Not at all. Big time downhill runner.

3. DaRick Rogers (Tennessee Tech, WR) - Holmes and Hill were injured and the player that was supposed to start alongside Holmes so the Jets could bring Hill along slowly was Chaz Schilens of all people. Holmes-Hill-Kerley is not a joke. What's needed is time for Hill (which he's gotten and will continue to get) and a clean bill of health for the group as a whole. A quarterback who isn't the worst in the league would be nice too. Anywho, about Rogers:

First of all, I never saw him at Tennessee Tech, only with the Vols. He's got very quick feet and can make corners regret attempting press coverage but doesn't have the best hands or range - You'd think a 6'3" guy could catch more balls thrown around him but he needs it to be on the money. He can make people miss with the ball in his hands, though, which does count for him, but I wouldn't draft him until the 4th or 5th unless the team has a very accurate passer and doesn't have to rely on him as a primary option.

The last thing Sanchez needs is someone who drops the passes that do get to them. You know why Braylon Edwards and Dustin Keller are the only receivers he's good with? It's because, while they're limited in many other areas, they make circus catches routine and Sanchez needs that. It's why he isn't comfortable throwing to Holmes, and also why Sanchez doesn't fit the West Coast offense, because he just plain isn't accurate enough.

4. D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina, S) - Just because he horse collars people doesn't make him a hard hitter. Dirty is the word you're looking for. Dirty hitter. Leads with his helmet. I've seen him use his elbow. Could be the next Brian Dawkins. Do you want that on your team? Maybe. But do you really want that? No.

4. Trevardo Williams (Connecticut, OLB) - Trevardo Williams won't fly in the NFL. He's got good speed but is terrible against the run, doesn't use his hands well at all, and he can't get off of blocks either. The only pass rushing move he has is a jet and he's easily ridden out of the play. His only success comes off of TEs and weak opponents. I don't see him succeeding at the next level. There are lots of quality pass rushers in this draft. Williams is not one of them.

5. Ray Graham (Pittsburgh, RB) - Graham could start for Mornhinweg very easily. He not only could be great running behind zone blocking, he has been his entire career. A great receiving RB with subpar pass blocking skills, the only reason to leave him in to block is so they don't see it coming when you run a screen. Most backs need to work on their pass blocking coming into the league, though, so this is nothing that would torpedo his stock. I don't see him going this late at all though.

6. Nigel Malone (Kansas State, CB) - Malone's a good cover corner, he just doesn't have the size to line up against bigger receivers. Good pick but again, I don't see him going this late at all.

7. Denard Robinson (Michigan, QB) - Brad Smith was great but every running QB who has to stop playing QB isn't him.

#26 Quack, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. JackTheFootballGuru

JackTheFootballGuru New Member

Not true. Just cause he is small, doesn't mean he gets destroyed. He's not rock solid and moves backwards but gets extension and makes tackles. Destroyed? Not even close. I'm not sure how he would fare against NFL linemen, but regardless, he did not get destroyed.

Way off base. Part of the reason LSU loves smaller faster defensive ends is to contain the QB and Mingo did that. Show me the tape where he goes inside unless he is past the quarterback. He contained the quarterback (or attempted to) on almost every play.

8. Quack

Quack New Member

Moving backwards a couple of yards on every play is getting destroyed. Even in overwhelming matchups you don't see repeated pancake blocks so don't look for those as the indication of being destroyed or you'll never find a single player who gets destroyed.

Contain is not refusing to go inside. It's a task to accomplish. Going past the quarterback is the definition of breaking contain. The point of contain is delay: Make the ball carrier hesitate or force them to go inside. If you rush deep upfield, you are doing the opposite: You are opening up the outside move for the ball carrier.

When he's speed rushing around the outside shoulder of the OT on every single play he has zero contain responsibility. He can't rush up field and risk getting washed out (which happens regularly with him) if he's responsible for the contain.

You need two way movement off of your block to contain unless you're keeping outside leverage on your blocker and keeping him close enough to the next blocker (not taking him upfield) that the only way for the ball carrier to go outside is through you.

This does not, in any way, shape, or form, describe what Mingo does on most plays. He has zero contain responsibility on the majority of his snaps. He does not contain anyone. He may occasionally get his number called, but 90% of the time it's just disengage, hustle after, and make the tackle once the ball carrier breaks contain, but he sure as shit does not contain. And when he does get his number called? He takes 2-3 steps up field and plays patty cake with the OT, not even trying to collapse the pocket.

That chase from behind bullshit's great when you're the biggest, fastest boy in the schoolyard, but it gets you burned when you're with the big boys.

#28 Quack, Feb 10, 2013
  9. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I like Ansah over Mingo. Just as fast and bigger with more upside .

#29 GriffDog, Feb 10, 2013
  10. Quack

Quack New Member

They play different pro positions and while I love Ansah he is just not as fast. Mingo also somehow never gets tired while Ansah is still working on his football conditioning. They're different players. One is a fit for the Jets, the other isn't(barring an all out 4-3 switch, in which case they both can be, again, in different positions).

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Correct... that mans name is Warmack. Surest thing in the draft... I would love to somehow see Warmack in round one and Barrett Jones in round 2. The same way Mangini built the team... 2 OL with his 1st two picks and they are rock solid.

12. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan, but that makes too much sense for our lowly Jets :)

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I've been tinkering around with my mock. what do you think of this one:

- Revis gets traded to Tampa Bay for their 1st and 2nd.
    - Tebow gets traded to Chicago for a 6.
    - resign Landry, 2 yr/12 mil
    - sign Ahmad Bradshaw 2 yr/8 mil
    - sign Matt Moore 1 yr/2 mil
    - sign Andy Levitre 3 yr/15 mil

1a. Bjoern Werner (Florida St, DE/LB) - I would take Warmack here, but I think he goes before 9. someone will drop to us and I think it will be Bjoern at 9 overall.

1b. Corradelle Patterson (Tennessee, WR) - #13 overall from TB. we add a playmaker on offense that we desperately need.

2a. Arthur Brown(Kansas St,LB) - he played inside linebacker at Kansas St, but can also play OLB. this guy is just too good a player to pass up. a complete linebacker.

2b. Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame, TE) - from TB, this may be a reach. but I can see Eifert falling to the second. ATL and GB need TE's. I think ATL goes after Finley and GB skips out on a TE in the first.Ertz goes early second. we get Eifert.

3. Johnathan Cyprien (FIU, S) - we need someone opposite Landry. Cyprien hasbeen turning heads. a ballhawk safety who's great in coverage.

4. Mike Gillislee (Florida, RB) - perfect back for us. Gilly/Bradshaw combo would be very interesting.

5. Leon McFadden (SD St, CB) - a depth move. Kyle Wilson hasn't been producing.

6a. Tavarres King (Georgia, WR) - add depth to our receiving corps. King impressed at the Senior Bowl. runs great routes.

6b. Alonzo Highsmith (Arkansas, OLB) - reach of a pick. was hurt during the season witha foot injury. if he's there it's a great depthmove for our linebackers.

7. Zach Line (SMU, RB) - our new FB.