Quack's Inflammatory Mock Offseason (WALLOFTEXTWARNING)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Quack, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Quack

Quack New Member

It's that time of year again where I show up out of nowhere and say things that make people angry before largely disappearing. This mock involves trades (OH NOES THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE) but one trade involves the Jets getting the short end of the stick and the other is, like most NFL trades in the last few years, balanced through conditional clauses (with the Jets receiving the short end of the stick). This offseason involves keeping Darelle Revis but I'm not going anywhere near discussing that contract and I just leave more than enough cap space for it.

The cap work is largely done for me by Jason of NYJetscap.com which I greatly appreciate because it would have added a lot of work to an already long project. I do, however, have to disagree with his article on trading Revis/Cromartie and give a thorough explanation later on.

On to it:

Offseason Trade: Antonio Cromartie to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Offseason roster management:

2013 NFL Draft Trade

END PART 1

#1 Quack, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Quack

Quack New Member

Part 2

2013 NFL Draft Picks
    END PART 2

Edit - Removed Seantrel Henderson who I thought had declared but had not. Props to Theo Huxtable for noticing.
    Edit 2 - Shifted picks. Everyone moves up a slot, new 7th round pick.

#2 Quack, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. Quack

Quack New Member

Part 3

2013 NFL Draft Picks cont'd

Post-Draft Overview

END PART 3

#3 Quack, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. Quack

Quack New Member

Part 4

Post-Draft Overview cont'd

2013 New York Jets 53 Man Roster

Conclusion

Alternative player choices Addendum (RBs and LBs)
    END PART 4 AND WALL OF TEXT

#4 Quack, Feb 8, 2013
  5. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Holy crap. I cant even process all that at the moment.

6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Damn that is alot of shit haha..Moore 3 years and slaw at 4 yrs ? definitely not.. Ansah is raw and imo is more of a 43 end. Nassib I kinda like and I wouldn't say he is just a pocket passer and has no mobility, He has good mobility and definitely can make plays with his feet.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's a lot of hypothetical assumptions (guys restructuring/taking pay cut, to start).

That said, the picks Jets get are:

Rd 1: 13 (TB) 28 (Den)
    Rd 2: 7 (NYJ) 28(Den)
    RD 3: 7 (NYJ)
    Rd 4: 7 (NYJ) 28 (Den)

Am I right?

First and foremost, I do not think it is a good idea to give up on Sanchez yet. Ok. Sanchez sucks - but he doesn't suck as much as Vick did in Atlanta. You would have to see what Mornhinweg can do with Sanchez first before blowing high pick on QB. If MM does resurrect Sanchez, then you are wasting a good pick for nothing. This is a possibility too - keep that in mind.

Secondly, I do not think Ansah is a good fit for the Jets. He is strictly 4-3 DE; Jets need OLBs, not converted OLBs. (Gholston ring a bell?)

Third - That said, I would like to see Jets grab OLB x2, and an OT and a safety in the first four rounds. (with offensive skill position guys sprinkled. RB/TE/WR would be a priority.) *Why OT? If there is a sure-fire prospect for OG, I wouldn't mind it. Just, when it comes to OLs, you move from outside in. Tackles can convert into guards, but not the other way around.*

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Trade: Cro + Jets 6th <----> Bucs 1st + Bucs 4th.
    That would be a really good trade for the Jets but I don't see why Bucs would agree to it. Their 1st round pick is going to get them one of the top CB prospects in this draft & unlike Cro he'll be young & on rookie contract for years. If Bucs keep their 1st rounder the only thing they're worried about is whether they best or second best CB prospect this draft.

Offseason:
    Players don't agree to restructuring unless they'll benefit. If you want Sanchez & Harris to agree then be prepared to move some of that money (or increase it) to the next year & then guarantee more of it. Restructure only players you see yourself keeping for a long time like Mangold.

Brandon Moore is 33 years old. When father time breaks them down they usually fall fast. Matt Slauson & Brandon Moore, pick one & let the other go. Both of them should be off this team in two years.

Dustin Keller @ 4M. No way. Coming off an injury & shit blocking when healthy. 2.5-3M max. He's a 1-dimensional TE who's not even dominant in that one dimension. If somebody offers him 4M then let him go.

Mike Devito & Austin Howard, I'm iffy. Not sure what to do with either of them.
    21M to sign Revis, long snapper & kicker = about 18M for Revis, right? No way.

===================
    Denver trade: NYJ1 <---> DEN1+DEN2+DEN4.
    Jets can do better. Broncos pick almost last. It's almost an early 2nd, early 3rd, early 5th.

#8 ajax, Feb 9, 2013
  9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Lots of picks in your draft but Jets with assumptions all the trade scenarios come through.

Some notes on some of your selections:
    Ansah doesn't fit. Youtube him & you'll get breakdown of almost all his big games last season. He does NOT play OLB. He's a 4-3 DE with off the charts potential. He doesn't play in space & he never plays pass defense. Ansah is a good pick for many teams but Jets aren't one of them.

Marquess Wilson is being mocked into the 3rd round.

10. Quack

Quack New Member

The Jets play a hybrid front with lots of personnel groupings and the majority of nickel+ groupings using 4 man fronts. Wilkerson alone has lined up at nose (mostly on passing downs though), 3-tech, 5-tech, and 7-tech in the last season. Pace mostly played with his hand in the dirt at 7 or 9(and still got zero pressure but that's another thing) and Ansah could easily take over for him.

Ansah played as much DT as DE (if not more) in college but no one seems to mention that. Saying Ansah is a DE and only a DE is about as accurate as saying that Coples last year was a DE, when he had in fact played 3-tech DT for the majority of his career and was the source of his success with him floundering his senior year at end. Even with the Jets he rarely lined up at 7-tech, almost always being inside the tackles. Unlike Coples, however, Ansah does have the mobility to play in space. I'm pretty sure youtube has one of the games that includes one of those rare occasions where he not entirely awkwardly slides to the flat - Forgive me if I don't remember which one.

Even when you have a strict 3-4 with no deviation in formation, when you have a great rush linebacker, you rarely drop him back into coverage unless its a drop 8 (in which case he doesn't have a lot of space to cover) or a zone blitz, in which case you won't be trusting him with anything other than a flat or a simple hook/curl. The OLBs that Rex likes need to be bigger superior run defenders that can drop their hands to the ground and play like a true DE at any time first and foremost (Almost like Pace and Thomas).

Ansah fits the bill.

Edit -

I searched for this and the only source I can find is a tweet by a WSU alum. Do you have any sources I'm not finding for this? The TGG mock didn't include him and Google isn't finding anything. No Walterfootball, no CBS or NFL, not even anyone on Bleacherreport. Help a brother out why don't you.

#10 Quack, Feb 9, 2013
  11. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Seantrel Henderson isn't even going to be in the draft.

12. Quack

Quack New Member

I thought he declared but you're right. He's returning. This throws one hell of a wrench in that I'll have to correct now. Thanks for the catch.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The problem with Jets defense as I see it is that, it lacks speed severely at the second level. That is, the LB corps. So, in the grand scheme of all things, Ansah can play at the line, but that selection does not address this lack of speed issue at the second level. On top of that, Jets do play hybrid defense a lot, but that does not justify his selection - Jets already have enough capable bodies at DL. This is why I (and countless many others) have been saying Ansah is not a good fit with the Jets; he does not fill any hole that needs to be filled immediately.

14. Quack

Quack New Member

The Jets have interior linemen. They need someone who can play 7 or 9. That's the need filled by Ansah. Their best outside pass rusher is Muhammad Wilkerson, who's best at 5-tech but slides to 7 (and still succeeds) in passing situations (when they're not wasting a slot with Pace, who's the worst pass rushing 3-4 OLB in the league) because they have no one else and there isn't a man on the roster who can line up at 9 technique.

They need an edge pass rusher and a cover linebacker and you can't possibly expect both in one for multiple reasons: First, because it's an absurd requirement for one person to be elite in two completely different areas and, second, because you need both things to happen at the same time. Find me an NFL player who does both.

Want speed and cover ability? That falls to the ILBs. David Harris can cover running backs out of the backfield but can't man up against top flight receiving TEs. That's where Demario Davis and (here in the mock) Sean Porter come in. Sean Porter has experience facing linemen and covering both TEs and slot receivers (LOTS of experience covering slot receivers) and Davis was brought in because of his speed in the first place.

You don't cover receivers with your pass rusher.

#14 Quack, Feb 9, 2013
  15. wildaces

wildaces Banned

He is regarded as a 4-3 DE, or 3-4 OLB from what I have been reading. I haven't seen any video of it, but is what I am reading. The good news is that he is raw, and would make for an easier transition to a 3-4 OLB. Notice I said easier not possible.

16. Quack

Quack New Member

I don't like quoting talking heads but, yes, you can find references to him playing 3-4 OLB pretty easily, like, say, Mel Kiper.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/65512/kipers-mock-draft-2-0-afc-north
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2013OLB3-4.php

17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I will flip cartwheels while handing out cigars to lousy neighbors if the Jets can grab Ansah and Lacy in the first round ( should they get an extra pick).

No freakin way you can mention Gholston and Ansah in the same breath. Gholston was just out and out a poor FOOTBALL player that had no clue where the football was if you had painted it orange with white polka dots. He showed no instincts and always was 3 yards away too late from the end of the play. I never ever was happy with that pick. Ansah, other the other hand, is a complete opposite. He MAKES plays, and is always around the ball. Even if he isn't a perfect match for the 3-4, he has the ability and desire to adapt.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

The key factor in Gholston's demise was he didn't care, he had know interest in improving his game...he wanted the pay day.

While I believe Ansah is a tremendous pass rusher, he's not a 3-4 OLB, Ansah is a JPP clone and and is better suited to play 4-3 DE. Ansah hasn't played in coverage at BYU, he's been mostly a 4-3 DE with a non-stop motor.

The Jets need a OLB, and Jordan would be a better choice at #9 to replace Pace.

I'm a big fan of Lacy, but IMO, Gio Bernard would be a better fit in Marty's Offense.

19. Quack

Quack New Member

This on the nose. He actually got moved inside at one point and played 3-4 DE pretty well to the point that he could have resurrected his career but he half-assed to the point of not even trying to get off of blocks. He'd destroy his blocker then... Not do anything with the advantage. Every snap he was in. It was absurd.

A 2-gap 3-4 involves anchoring DEs and speedy OLBs and a 1-gap 3-4 involves penetrating DEs and power OLBs.

Mingo is a mismatch for this exact reason. Dion Jordan, while a great player, is not 1-gap 3-4 OLB either and people need to learn the difference. The Jets are running with Kenyon Coleman and Kimo Von Oelhoffen? Jordan's your man. Ellis and Pryce? Wilkerson and Coples? You go bigger. Bigger like Thomas. Bigger like Ware. Bigger like Suggs. Bigger like Merriman before his steroids got taken away. Someone stout at the point of attack who uses a jet to set up a bull and not the other way around.

So let's say everyone is still 100% opposed to the idea of Ansah because "rah rah 3-4 OLB must cover like a 4-3 MLB while rushing the passer like a 4-3 RDE".

Jets switch to a 4-3. Wilkerson continues playing 6/7 like he has much of the time this past year, Coples plays the 3 like he has the majority of the season, you have Pouha at the nose, Ansah at the opposite 7 flexing to a 9 on passing downs with Porter-Davis-Harris as the LBs behind from left to right(Harris being projected as a 4-3 SLB to begin with).

Still have a problem with Ansah? Yes? No? Because Rex Ryan does this regularly and the lot of you are so caught up in the semantics of a misunderstanding of the defense rather than how it's actually run that you're calling a perfect scheme fit a mismatch. It's like people insisting that the sky is always blue, no matter what, during a sunset because "everybody knows that" and they refuse to look at what goes on in front of them.

Does Rex Ryan, or any other coach running a 1-gap 3-4, like small OLBs? The answer is no. 260 is the benchmark. 255 is pushing it already. 6'7" 240 with no ability to anchor? 6'4" 240 and gets pushed around like a ragdoll? These are not players that fit the scheme, not one bit. Ansah does.

Remember: The rush backer rarely covers.

Every 1-gap 3-4 has one. You know who they are. You know they rarely cover. Why demand any different from your team's 1-gap 3-4? The amount of times the jets line up against base personnel with the DEs as 4 techs, the NT as a 0, and the OLBs as 7s on covered sides, 6 on uncovered, is absurd. Jordan and Mingo cannot do that. They can't. They'll get blown away by the OT as fast as the opposing team can snap the ball. Yes, they can disengage the block, but you're praying for them to then chase down the runner from behind (since they couldn't go through the blocker). That's not how this defense is run.

I agree and disagree here. Agree, because he plays like Shady McCoy, who thrived in Mornhinweg's offense. Disagree, because I think Lacy, while less of a home run threat, can run inside and pick the hole better. In short, I think you'll get more 15+ yard runs and catches out of Bernard, but you'll get more 4+ yard runs out of Lacy. Depends on your philosophy.

#19 Quack, Feb 9, 2013
  20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I glad you're such an expert on NFL defenses.

Don't act like I have no knowledge of football and players.

The Jets run a hybrid defense. Ansah we be effective in certain fronts and less effective in others.

Ansah, who I have studied, plays standing up on the line, mostly at RDE in BYU's defense and doesn't drop into coverage. I don't see Ansah handling the OLB postion in the 3-4, he can't be the rush LB all of the time in that defense. A smart Offensive Coor. will know how to neutalize a player like Ansah if he's only a rush LB.

In a pure 4-3, Ansah would be a perfect DE. He's not the perfect 3-4 OLB, cause no OLB is 100% rusher...it doesn't happen.

I'm not going to draft a player in the top 10 that may not be a fulltime player.

My major concern I have with Ansah being drafted at # 9, which a few Jet fans would love, is limited experience. He has only played football for less than 4 years. No question he's the hot name and risng up the board.

I'm not happy with the Jets position at #9, at this time, there's not much to chose from on the offensive side and limited players...with Moore & Jones mostly likely gone.