A flyer on Matheiu...? Bye Mevi$?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hobbes3259, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No, as has been discussed here...at great length...they AF the fault of Al Davis...and Aso's deal...

Did you just take up the sport?

2. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Cool! Now some might take the fact that the offense still functions no matter who the OC is as an indication that Brady is great, but I guess it could be that they forced Weiss to write everything down, including how to adapt to unknown future defensive changes, but hey! Anything's possible

Now, back on topic:

#82 BeastBeach, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I think this is the very crux of the Revis situation. I agree he should try to maximize his earning, but at what point is personal glory and financial gains detrimental to the team (you always here how football is the ultimate team sport, I think it applies here too).

That’s the scenario the Jets and Revis are in yet again. His desire to not only be the highest paid at his position, but the highest paid defensive player (reportedly) have, and are creating deficiencies at other KEY positions on this team (combined with other idiotic deals).

Hey, I have the same situation with my job. I want to make the most money I possibly can. However, in my industry, my salary is directly tied to overhead costs. At what point is the desire to be paid increasingly more detrimental to the success of the organization (higher cost less competitieve)? Its either Fuck or walk. Revis needs to understand this, and stop being Mevi$..

4. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's your industry. I bet in your industry you don't make 5x more than your superiors. I bet that the owners, or board members, of your company view most sports in the organization below upper management as replaceable and/or promotable from within. And finally, in your industry, you probably don't have only an 8-10 year window to make what you can, when you can, before you are cast aside.

It's nowhere near the same thing.

5. RochesterJet

Take out the semantics of industry and coach/player VS boss/subordinate compensation and it is essentially the same thing (details you added by the way). At what point will the “market bear” salary request’s (demands in the case of #24 and his team).

His desire to “get paid” is one of the main (not only) reasons this team is in decline. If you cant see that, I say good day sir.

6. The_Darksider

The market will bear it when the owners decide to stop it. It probably won't happen anytime soon since we've got labor peace for the next 8 seasons.

And yes, I brought those things in purposely because you can't have a debate about the real working world vs. sports stars and what they make vs. what they should make without doing so.

7. Hobbes3259

Dude, it started because one demented owner paid Aso, 3 times what he was worth,

Someone has to set the market straight, former DB coach Beli has been trying to. No one else is helping.

8. Hobbes3259

When Beli gave him that contract, after that trade....everyone thought it was ludicrous.

And back to the Weiss point. Wrote it down? They had 50 copies of the play book.

The defensive guru, took the time to get it, and institutionalized the knowledge?

You NEVER hear a report about Brady "learning a new offense"

It's not a difficult concept. Except for you apparently.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Revis is worth what the market says he is worth. No matter what he wants the market will only be willing to pay so much. If the Jets don't want to pay him 14 million but another will he is worth 14 million. That is why the players love free agency is maximizes a players value.

Just because he is worth 14 million does not mean that the Jets should pay him. The Jets have to balance the need for Revis with the needs on the rest of the roster. The Jets no doubt are better with Revis but are they better with Revis minus what they would need to give up to keep him.

If the Jets think the answer is yes sign him if not let him walk or try to trade him. The only leverage the Jets have is that other teams may not be willing to pay him.

The whole Mevis crap is stupid unless he holds out while still under contract.

10. RochesterJet

exactly. I think the Jets have set his "market value" with them (again different than other teams based on their situation) during closed door conversations. Revis probably does not like the Jets value and think s he can get more (speculating here). This is why the Jets then in turn leaked that they are willing to listen to trade offers for Revis rather than letting him walk after 2013. On the Jets he is worth no more than 11 a year.

11. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Like I said. The simplest answer is that Brady is a great QB. You love to quote "experts" like Boomer and Phil Simms. Why do the 99% of experts who would tell you that the reason for the Pats continued offensive excellence is due to Brady get ignored by you? You are presenting your wild speculation of inner workings of the Pats team as if they are fact. Find me some well-respected experts that say Brady is an average QB plugged into a great system if everybody gets it but me.

Anyways...Are you ever going to get to the real points of our discussion or are you going to keep skirting around the issue and babbling about minor points of contention?

I will recap the major points again if you need me to do so.

#91 BeastBeach, Feb 1, 2013
  12. Potzer

Potzer New Member

Erm I know you guys don't give a crap about college football, but the honey badger isn't a very good corner.

He's barely a nickel. He's a special teamer. His coverage skills left a ton to be desired, before he didn't play for a year.

13. Hobbes3259

The fact that the offense hasn't changed substantially has more to do with its institutionalizarion.

Unless your assertion is that Brady is the defacto OC.

As I pointed out the OC is now a complement, not the implement.

That was my point.

14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Yet another post that is ignoring the major points including the fact that I have already answered this particular point. Add my last post to the list of things you either refuse to or are incapable of arguing.

Again, would you like me to repost the major points of the day? Its been about 8 hours and I'm still waiting for something worthwhile.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are a Tebow lover - obviously not the best judge of talent.

Not sure if Matheiu is any good or not, but I'll listen to opinions of actual football fans instead of fanboys. You probably just don't like him cause you are a gator lover.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's got great play-making ability, so he's got that going for him. If he were to bulk up just a tiny bit, I can see him being a potential FS.

17. The_Darksider

I'm not arguing that point - I'm just saying the reality is that it isn't going to happen any time soon. You see it in every sport - the owners go on a ridiculous feeding frenzy, especially baseball, and then a few years later they lock the players out to rein themselves in.

As ludicrous as it is, that's the current market. It isn't going to change. Bellichick isn't doing anything to change it - he's simply not buying into it and goes with lesser known players.

#97 The_Darksider, Feb 1, 2013
  18. Freeman McNeil

We need a FS, last year we played with two SS and it hurt us against teams like NE. We miss Leonard, this would be a perfect replacement. Bell will likely not be on the Jets next year and this is as good a replacement as any. Take a flyer on him.

19. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

We should get Te'o and Honey Booboo and keep Tebow and hire a giraffe because we're trying to overthrow Ringling Brothers!

20. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Something(a good or service) is only worth as much as someone will pay for it.

Revis may price himself out of the market, he basically almost did last time.

Maybe he finds a buyer for his ridiculous demands, maybe he doesn't. At the very crux of the argument is he can still only cover 1 person. Who cares if you got one side one WR(granted usually the best) locked down, if they're gashing you on the run, you get no pass rush, and your're LBs cant chase down anybody, and the rest of your DBs get burned constantly(Wilson and the safety play). You need competence in all areas not just execptional in one.

I will take average to above average play around the board, than have a great player in isolated coverage(yes he neutralizes their best player, but by utilizing him, you have also neutralized YOUR best player) and everyone else sub-par.