Can a QB Coach Develop Tebow

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Jeti, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Potzer

Potzer New Member

The chargers have long been known for their impeccable coaching decisions.

McCoy is obviously destined for the super-bowl.

2. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Denver went away from run because Defenses starting gamplanning against it. Instead of blitzing Tebow and letting him scramble through tthe holes, LBs stayed home and shut down the running lanes. DE's stayed back to seal the edge instead of letting Tebow circle around them for a big run.

They forced Tebow to stay in the pocket and play like a traditional drop-back passer. That's not Tebow's skillset. If the defensive backs play tight man coverage, Tebow lacks the accuracy to throw around that. He's shut down and so the Offense goes 3 & out. No more big plays, no more "Tebow magic", no more clutch comebacks...

3. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

The ONE team that stayed with that approach late in the 4th quarter ended up beating Tebow and the Broncos 7 to 3. Only ONE team stayed, and didn't fall back to the "bend but not break" philosophy.

You have the kid frustrated with ineptitude all day, then suddenly give him time to think? I think it is clear he's lost when you take his run threat away, and it showed down the stretch. Getting lucky in a couple, and particularly on one pass play in a playoff game is supposed to erase all of that?

4. Concerned_Citizen

5. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Listen try and convince me to have J Russell over Tebow LOL!

c'mon man...

6. hutch2426

hutch2426 New Member

Some of your posts are top notch, but don't start crap for the sake of it. You know teams can't go to Tebow even if they wanted. If he gets picked up so be it, but don't make yourself sound like a retard. Russell is a free agent they can talk all they want. You seriously have issues spending yours days talking about a cat you don't like.

You remind me of a girl in 5th grade that's makes fun of a boy, because you really like him. There are many ways to get a boy to like you without going to these extremes. Take a step back and post a little less and spend some time in the real world.

7. hutch2426

hutch2426 New Member

Another shining example, he played a good game against Pittsburgh. Your hurting yourself and trying to hard.

8. Concerned_Citizen

No, YOU are trying to hard.

He played a good game, going 10 for 21, and it happened to win a playoff game... and I'm supposed to forget about all the three and outs, and all the time the Broncos had to rely on some freak of nature to win due to him doing practically nothing 95% of the time?

Yet you guys act like it was all a matter of simply playing the spread, and everythign would have been hunkey dory, as if you guys knew something Fox, McCoy, and Elway didn't.

...and you wonder why he can't catch a break in this league. :rolleyes:

9. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Elway and the gang did not get a playoff win this year.

(Elway cries out in anguish reacting to Manning's choke OT interception against the Ravens)
    [​IMG]

#109 CowboysFan, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  10. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Apparently, Fox, McCoy and Elway DIDN'T get it.

Again, go back and look at the patterns in most, if not all, of those games. Denver would come out in tight formations, running the ball most of the time. When they did attempt to pass, they usually had 2 receivers out in patterns with Fells or Rosario playing in tight.

When they found themselves behind, as has been explained to you many times, they opened things up and went with a Spread Offense. 3, 4 and 5 receivers out in patterns.

Now, you freaking genius, tell me how you are going to stack the box with defenders when I put 4 WRs and a TE, all spread out wide. That's 5 guys. You only have 11 on defense. How many guys are you going to stack into the box with this alignment ?

Next question. Are you going to keep LBs out there in coverage ? Or are you going to switch to a nickle/dime package and bring in DBs to cover all those receivers ? Are your 3rd, 4th and 5th DBs good enough to play tight man and actually stay tight ? Are they going to be able to stick with receivers running crossing routes down field >? Or deep slants ? How will those DBs do against 4 verticals ? Or a "high - low levels" concept ?

Do the damned math. IF I have 5 WRs going out in patterns, you need to cover with at least 5 defenders. Let's assume that you go straight man. That leaves you with 6 guys in the box against 5 lineman and the QB. I'll take those odds.

This is exactly what happened in the Jets v Broncos game. Rex and Pettine didn't go into a "prevent" defense, or even a "Bend but don't break" one. They were faced with having to cover 4 and 5 receivers, so they went with cover DBs instead of LBs. If they had gone with LBs, then WRs would have been open, and contrary to your opinion, Tebow could hit them now and then.

BTW, no one is saying that just putting Tebow in the Spread would have taken them to the SB and made him a HoF QB. He still has things to learn.

BUT, what we are saying is that he would have been a LOT MORE EFFECTIVE in that kind of system.

11. Concerned_Citizen

How else are they going to block for all those guys stacking the box? Poor timmy would get squished while he searched for an open man. He was pretty bad about anticipating where receivers were supposed to be. He always threw where they were instead of where they wre going, which is why even though he had a cannon arm, his passes far too often got there late where receivers had to break stride, and twist to catch balls thrown behind them. Suprised he hadn't gotten any of them killed.

They were able to line up like that because teams went into bend but not break mode. They stopped stacking the box, the Broncos no longer needed to block 9 guys and could add more receivers.

With almost anyone else, you "might" have a point. Not with a QB playing with a RBs's mentality though.

Wouldn't have worked until defenses backed off, which is what happened in the 4th. Like I said, you gotta block those guys because it was REALLY easy for defenses to get him to tuck it in and run. First sign of trouble, he tries to beat you with his legs. It's what he's comfortable with, that's his style. As soon as timmy saw the guys lining up to come after him, he was busy looking for a running lane, sort of like a running back does. fancy that!!!

not if tebow keeps beating them with his arm. They didn't have to worry about it because they had little or no fear that tebow was going to perform surgery on them. About the only chance tebow had was with the long ball, which was low percentage.

Do the damned math. you got 9 guys keying in on the backfield, only 5 guys at the most to block all of them, how long does timmy have to make reads, find an open guy. A seasoned QB could do it. Preferrably one that can survey what is going on, diagnose the coverage, and put the ball where the receiver can do somethign with it rather than catch it off their shoelaces. Unfortunately, tebow is already looking for an exit to run through. Blocking with more at least bought him a couple more seconds, though usually for naught, cuz they usually wound up punting.

He was far more effective at the beginning when teams were either not stacking the box, or tried to blitz. Once they stayed home and contained him, it was game over without the defense, and a few REALLY lucky breaks.

Yeah, tebow did find them now and then, didn't he? I'd say about..... 46% of the time.

I doubt it. Contrary to your belief, they DID try airing it out with tebow, and after the Detroit game, Fox was quoted as saying "enough of this crap" and went run option.

Also doesn't explain why he was willing to throw the ball much more with Orton if he was so damn conservative and loved only the run.

You have a QB who you don't trust to deliver, cuz he showed you dirt missile after dirt missile in games, and a real horror show in practice... most people would either go with someone else (hence Orton and Sanchez winning in camp) or steering clear of obvious weaknesses, such as passing in tebow's case.

But then, that's gotta be wrong. It has to be some OTHER reason tebow will be unemployed in the NFL. Can't be his passing. Sounds like there is more at work here than GMs thinking tebow simply has things to learn.

Like it or not, the playcalling was compensating for Tebow's obvious weaknesses. I know you think you are smarter than Fox, Elway, etc... that is evident from the tone of your posts. However, if these guys would have thought lining up 4 or 5 wide all day and playing spread would have worked, believe me, they would have done it. They were more effective in the 4th because of what the defenses they faced were doing, not because they got smart for 5 minutes and played spread. RARELY in those final drives did you see a defense stacking 8 or 9. The one team that did, ended that final drive as quickly as all the others. You don't think they thought about spread formations then?

#111 Concerned_Citizen, Jan 29, 2013
  12. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Jesus, are you really that daft ? You think that a team will still line up with 8 guys in the box if the Broncos had put 5 receivers out wide ? Tebow wouldn't need to "search" for the open man as it would be apparent on the pre snap read. Tebow in shotgun. 3 WRs to the left. 2 WRs to the right. Defense has 8 men in the box. They are only allowed 11 on the field, so that means 3 guys left to cover 5 WRs.

Which way do you want to do it ? Spread the WRs out and make the 3 defenders show who they are covering ? Run bunch formation with a quick High/Low to show the defense ?

Son, you are exposing the fact that your football knowledge is extremely limited, to the point where it really isn't worth anyone's time to discuss the game with you, since you DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I'll get back to the rest of your stupidity when I return from a client visit.

13. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Add to the fact that he thinks the offense adjusts its personel based on what the defense puts out there instead of the other way around. An offense puts out 5 wide and you leave 9 in the box... my grandmother could hit the open men. I respect the way you troll CC... but you're being really thick here.

14. Concerned_Citizen

Limited? YOU are the one that thinks Tebow is pretty good. You and your ilk thinks the reason he's about to be jobless isn't because he can't hit the broad side of the barn, but because they are scared to turn him loose in fear that he might actually win and make people look bad.

32 out of 32 GMs seem to be disagreeing with you.

I think just about anyone employed by the NFL would be lining up 5 wideouts if they thought it would break a 9 man in the box front. Why, because it usually works. But you have to have a QB that can throw, and Tebow can only do that once in a while. They let him throw it, and it got them nowhere, MOST of the time. That is why they quit throwing it.

Tebow is about as dumb as a pile of rocks, couldn't master the playbook because his skillset is all about flying by the seat of his pants and improvising. We've had 2 team now REFUSE to go your routhe. Why? Because they saw him every freaking day and knew it wasn't going to work. So the Broncos did what they could. They ran a lot. The Jets... pretty much avoided him.

...and you think all it would have taken is run the spread. You better get that to all the coaches and GMs out there, because none of them are smart enough to figure that out.

It's not that I don't understand what you are saying that the defense is supposed to react to the offense. I'm just saying you probably aren't telling me anything all these coaches haven't thought of. I STILL say the comebacks and heroics in the 4th quarter had more to do with defenses backing off into a more conservative defense than anything Tebow is actually doing.

I just can't for the life of me figure out why you seem to think it every coach and GM looking at him is flat out wrong while you, his legion of fans, and Skip Bayless are the only ones that can see it. If it really is as simple as lining up 4 or 5 wides and running spreads, why nobody will take that chance? I'll give you a hint.... they've seen him throw.

his career is about to end... NOT because teams weren't smart enough to run the spread. NOT because of some conspiracy against open crhistians. NOT because teams would rather lose with someone else than win with tebow. NOT because they don't like mobile quarterbacks. NOT because he's left handed. NOT because he looked at his coach funny.

..........it is because he isn't a good quarterback and he's too stubborn and proud to switch.

#114 Concerned_Citizen, Jan 29, 2013
  15. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

I saw an interview with Mike McCoy on NFLN where he admitted to being too stubborn unwilling to work with Tebow's strengths for the longest time. Basically saying he knows he didn't help Tim out. I wasn't paying too much attention to it so maybe there was more to the story?

16. Concerned_Citizen

...and where did Tebow lead his team? I suppose you think the Broncos would have been better off with Tebow?

17. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

pretty fireworks and colorful rainbows in the regular season don't add up to much if you choke in post season and a choke it was as the #1 seed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JFjets

JFjets New Member

There was a recent article from Jets beat writer quoting sources inside the organization saying just exactly that.

Was that a recent interview?

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[YOUTUBE]QRJ38y4Jn6k[/YOUTUBE]

20. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

My response to Jets fans, have fun next year bro, so looking forward to it...

[​IMG]