You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. zace

zace Well-Known Member

For all we know this may be a negotiation tactic.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yes because intelligence is just spewing from you.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Hmmm... was this sarcasm? I hope not, would hate to think you're not very good sarcasm either.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

YES!!!
    This very well might be true. Keep in mind though that the golden rule of every negotiation tactic is your have to be willing to go all the way in your tactic (meaning you have to be willing to actually trade Revis) if push comes to shove.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Took you quite a while to get that, so i guess i grossly overestimated you.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Revis' value right now is worth a borderline first round pick even coming off an ACL. He's still the best corner in football and given the medical advances his chances at a full recovery are very good. If the Jets could somehow manage to get two 2nd's for him then they could really address a alot of needs in the first 2 rounds of the draft this year.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

The back and forth is nonsense. I personally think this is a negotion tactic that if they so happen to get an awesome package they will take. While i disagree, I think we can both agree the Jets arent winning the Super Bowl in 2013. Where i think the real disagreement is in the rebuilding time. I dont think its a 3+ year project. I look at teams like the colts and say hey we dont need to blow everything up and lose our best play.....EVER. I get that he has value, but thats why you keep him. Hes that damn good. I think they need to keep him renegotiate and get ready for a rebuilt roster in 2014.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. I'm very happy to see multiple teams interested though. Open-market competition will bring the value up. Someone will buy too high, always happens.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That has nothing to do with him being committed to this franchise or not. These players all want excess amounts of money. You can't blame the guy for wanting to be paid a ton. That does not take away from the fact that he wants to be a Jet

10. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

I hope you're not one of those people bashing Sanchy and then telling people to shut up about the 2 conference championships. The same players on D for those 2 runs are no longer on the team. They've either moved on or got old and need replacing via draft/free agency.

Put your GM hat on and tell us what you'd sign him for?

11. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Honestly, I could see this as a Carmelo Anthony situation, where the Nuggets saying sign extension or be traded.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The difference between Jets and Colts is that Colts' best player was QB, and a very good one too. If this conversation was about Luck (as in Jets QB) instead of Revis (Jets CB), I would be with you all the way. A good young QB worth every cent of the contract, even if it's at the expense of patching other areas of need.

On the other hand a CB, even as good as Revis, does not worth this money if it prevents you from improving the team overall. Someone earlier put it this way: CB will not win you a SB; QB might.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You don't trade a hall of famer in the making, prime age for his position, just to free up cap space.

You might trade IF:

return value in the trade is high. a 1st rounder not enough. 2 1st rounders is enough, but won't happen coming off the injury. A 1st rounder plus something else would have to be looked at case by case..

or, if you are certain he is looking for top CB pay, plus a lot more. He's worth top CB pay plus some more, but not top Defensive player in league pay.
    That negotiation could force hand.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Revis' value is what the market says it is and it sounds like their is a relatively large market for his services. If we get a "gaggle" of picks for him it could be huge for our rebuild.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm not blaming the guy for wanting to be paid more, I just don't believe that he's worth what he worth considering other areas Jets need to improve.

There are other ways of negotiating, which do not involve a holdout. So, yes, I do question his commitment to the Jets based on his past antics.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I disagree with this. The Colts got young talent with the talent they had. Revis forces teams to alter their game plans. He make passing much more difficult. So no he may noe be a QB, but he certainly affects the opposing teams QBs which is just as important.

17. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

I also believe he would have held out this past season for the 3rd time had it not been for the poison pill Tanny put in his contract. There were rumors floating around before training camp that Revis was disgruntled and wanted a new deal, and stated that his current deal was a "band-aid". Problem was, he knew he had to report or the Jets had him by the balls for a couple more years at bargain prices. Every 2-3 years this guy wants more and more money. Hes a great player, but even he understands that there is a salary cap, and we cant field a solid team year after year with a large mass of money tied up into one player.

18. AlToon

AlToon Member

The possibility of a Revis trade, first reported by CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, is no longer just a possibility, according to a variety of sources. The Jets are strongly leaning toward the trade and teams are considering giving up significant capital to get him.

"There's a Revis gold rush forming,” said a general manager.

The teams highly interested in Revis are looking at teams like the Seahawks and the two Super Bowl participants and how despite this being an offense-driven league now, defenses still can dramatically and quickly change a team's fortune.

Several team sources are claiming the Jets want a first- and second-round pick for Revis, which is astronomical payment considering Revis -- while one of the best players in all of football -- is coming off knee surgery and will want a hefty contract.

The Jets won't get a one and two (no way), but teams think the Jets can get a nice gaggle of picks and a player.

Sources say one of the teams highly interested is the New England Patriots, but not even the Jets, who have made some screwy decisions over the years, would trade Revis to the division-rival Patriots and, in the process, hand them a Super Bowl.

Other teams highly interested, I'm told, are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game. One team also constantly mentioned by league sources is Green Bay, though the Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports, usually don't give up high-round picks.

So the race to get Revis is on.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21612943/gold-rush-forming-for-possible-revis-trade

Kind of contradictory. If there a gold rush for Revis and multiple teams are interested,that only increases the price.

The Pats can have Revis. For Mayo,Hightower,Hernandez and 2 #1 picks.

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

he's arguably the best corner to ever play the game, yet he's not worth what he's getting paid? Hell yes he is! The guy is unbelievable at what he does, hence why the market is a "gold rush" for him right now.

We can sit here as Jet fans and say we have the best cornerback tandem in the NFL yet you want to throw that away in hopes of getting people in the draft that possibly could not pan out? No way.

Revis is in his prime. Yes he had a bad injury, but nothing tells me he won't be back the same as he always was.

20. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

What does your first sentence have to do with anything? I bash Sanchez because he isn't good and doesn't put up good numbers. He has no place in this discussion.

I would let Revis play out the first few games and if he looks like his old self I would talk to Revis agents. If they want $17 mil, then you trade him, since no player in football is worth that save a franchise QB. If he wants what he's making this year (12) then you sign him and backload his deal to ease the burden with big contracts like Sanchez, Holmes, Brick, and Cro still on the payroll. If he wants something in between you have to weigh if you can keep him, where the team is (something that nobody is mentioning here...Revis is the way he is due to Rex's schemes; what if Rex isn't here after '13?), etc.

I don't think you can trade him before he proves he's healthy cause you won't get good value for him. I just don't think any GM is dumb enough to throw a 1st rounder at the Jets for a guy coming off an ACL injury. I see people posting articles from LaCanfora, and they may be true, but I think its pure speculation. He even admits that no team is giving up a 1 and 2 for him. A gaggle of picks is prob mid round picks and a player. It depends on the type of player we'd get. I saw a fan float out the idea of Percy Harvin.

The team is in the position its in currently because we gave ludicrous contracts to bad players; Revis is different, you may be overpaying for him, but he's the best at his position in the NFL when healthy.

That's what I would do. My 2 cents.

#780 CurbYourEnthusiasm, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013