You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

and you know this . . . how?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Either of those deals would be good. They'd both bring in a playmaker and a draft pick and they'd both offer the Jets cap relief and they'd both give the Jets a player they can build around plus a better pick than the sandwich comp pick between 3rd and 4th rounds. Most importantly they'd provide a real asset to build around for 2014 and beyond

Revis isn't going to be here after 2013 at anything but a prohibitive cost. He gets free agency with no tag at the end of the year.

Edit: take it back on Maclin now that I see he is nearing the end of his rookie deal. There's no guarantee he's not over-priced as well in a year.

#562 Br4d, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I would consider MJD & 1st for Revis and Holmes.

4. JetsVilma28

I would take Spiller over Maclin, but I wouldn't like Revis in Buffalo and a 3rd is too low. That said, i doubt Buffalo would part ways with Spiller.

5. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to how this got out to the media. I have always suspected it's Woody Johnson who can't keep his mouth shut.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Would you? This isn't Madden.

7. Don

They wanted it out there..they want everybody to know he is on the block..Johnson doesn't think they will ever be able to keep him (it is reported) so they want to dump him as soon as they can and whether you like it ot not it is absolutely the right decision if they can't keep him.

8. JetsVilma28

I don't think that trade is a reach. Especially, if you throw Tebro into the mix.

9. major33

I want them to trade him. But I want to know why they feel the need to broadcast this stuff to the masses?!?!? On one hand they bitch and complain about the media but then on the other hand they constantly feed the media important information about the team. Information that really should be kept behind the scenes. Not sure what purpose it serves to leak this information to the media. If you're going to trade him, then trade him. Do what you think is best for the team going forward and stop playing the media games.

10. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Um, no. That's ridiculous.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think if you're going to trade Darrelle Revis you want to give the fans some lead time to come to grips with that. There are a lot of fans, especially younger ones, who relate to Revis as the best player they've seen play for the Jets. If you're going to move him out you need time for them to wrap their brains around the move.

I don't think it's 100% he'll be moved. There are things that can get in the way and that may happen. But if he does get moved you don't want people waking up to the news with no forewarning.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

There isn't a chance in hell that the Bills are giving away their most dynamic player in Spiller.

The reality is you almost never get equal value when trading one of your star players. Even if Revis never had any injury he would probably still only garner a first and MAYBE a 3rd.

Given that he's had the ACL, we would be lucky if any team forks over a first rounder for him. Ever since free agency came into play with the big Reggie White deal, a player's trade value just isn't what it used to be even if it's a star player.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

No but you were the guy who made a thread asking how the Jets could possibly beat the Mighty playoff bound Bills week 1 and we all know how that went. Also it was Buffalophysco who had the sig that said Best D line of all time.

As far as Spiller goes I knew he was good before this season but I doubt even Bills fans knew he had this kind of upside. Guy looks like a top 5 RB in the league and the fact he got so few carries is ridiculous.

14. major33

I posted the question about why they feel the need to broadcast it to the masses because the question is ridiculous. I know it's about the fans. That is why I said if you're going to trade him, then TRADE HIM. Do what you think is best for the franchise in the long term. Fans are always going to be upset in the short term when you trade a great or popular player from your team. Heck, some fans will be upset if we dump Sanchez. Nothing you can do about it.

15. Don

I don't think they have any chance of getting a 1st, much less a 1st and a star.

16. Don

As soon as they spoke to the first team about it it would be in the media and that would look worse...just look at all the stories that asshole GM candidate has been feeding them. This is probably better and the the side benefit is that for the first time since he was drafted Revis is not controlling the situation..you saw how well he took that this afternoon.

17. Eat Man

Eat Man New Member

you guys act like there is only one way to build a successful team: draft elite pass rushers and copy the giants. they have one specific strategy and it works for them sometimes. but they're, btw, a team that actually depends far more out outrageous heroics from eli manning. when eli is average, they don't make the playoffs, when he's superhuman, yeah their dline gets a showcase game once or twice a year in the playoffs.

the jets built a very successful scheme around revis being revis. no it's not the sexy thing everyone does now where you go all out on pass rushers, but it got us to the afccg two years in a row with very very very average offenses but a very unique and tricky defense.

you get rid of revis you throw away that entire scheme.

with revis back we're 90% of the way back to our old league-leading defense. just make sure to keep some talent at safety and get faster linebackers. spent all other resources on the offense. why trade him and be 30% towards some crappy clone of a generic defense that only wins with an elite quarterback anyway?

btw our pass defense was so good this year because people could run at will on us. remember when asomugha put up "elite" numbers in oakland? but his team was god awful and bottom of the league in run defense year after year?

LOL "no one wants to throw at aso."

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Trading Revis now is almost a must in this regard.
    If he doesn't regain his old form he'll have a lot less value then being a the ? he is right now, and if he does regain his old form he will hold us up for ridiculous $ that is going to be hard to justify paying when we have so many other positions that need upgrading.

19. Dr Football

Dr Football New Member

I think you're overrating what Revis can do for this defense. He can only cover one guy. The AFC east has three offensive coordinators that like to spread your defense out. We're in desperate need of linebackers to keep up with tight ends, receivers or backs. Don't forget, both safeties are free agents. Revis is great, but the Jets have huge holes that he can't fill

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This is not an even trade by any stretch of the imagination, Revis and MJD don't even belong in the same sentence, We are gonna trade a future hall of famer and the best Jet since namath and a Superbowl MVP for a beat up runningback. Fuck a draft pick i want proven players for Revis, Id think about Megatron and a second rounder....