The Doctrine for Trading Holmes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsVilma28, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The point is that Kerley is a good player, but not on the level of Holmes. Jsut like Brick is on a completely different level than Howard.

You may want to trade or cut Holmes, but its a horrible position to take. Moving him this year costs us 10 mill in dead money on an already thin roster and tight cap situation. In other words, not a good idea.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

At least if the Jets were to trade Revis we have his replacement on the roster with Cromartie. Who is gonna come close to replicating Holmes production out of our current group? Maybe if we had someone already on the roster I would be open to it. Plus I'd like to see a year with Braylon (if signed), Holmes, Kerley and Hill together.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2014 he can be cut with minimum cap causality though correct? That's when he should be cut. He makes too much to be a 1b, #2 type WR. I just can't justify that large contract. I never could going back to when Tanny gave him that contract.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

With Idzik being from the team that released Bray last year, it will be interesting to see if we bring him in or not. Perhaps we can have our own trainging camp battle with Bray Owens and Ocho! Circus time baby! :breakdance:

5. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Bring in all the locker room cancers put them all on one team and make a reality TV show about it... maybe Barry Bonds can host it.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes 2014 its an 8.25 savings. If we can feild a team of talented receivers that does not include Holmes by then its the perfect time to let him go. Remember that if we get even decent QB play this year, we are in a system bascily tailored to his talents, he could put up very good numbers if he stays healthy.

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

As bad and broken as Sanchez is, who is going to replace him? I want Sanchez gone too but a huge cap hit no FA or draft-able QB is going to be better than Mark.

Even if you bring in everyone (all FA QBs) for a competition, its most likely Mark will end up at the top of the list. McElway, Moore, Flynn, Jackson, Henne, Stanton, Palmer, Tebow, vs Mark. Mark will most likely beat out everyone - maybe even Palmer.

8. The 1985er

the circumstance was different in Seattle, over there they already had Rice and Tate, and Edwards was basically a 4th receiver. With the Jets receiving corp being so thin, it may make more sense to keep him, and not to mention he should come cheap.

9. 101GangGreen101

I think that's the best case scenario for the Jets. This season I hope Holmes does work on the field, but after this season if the Jets aren't winning games it's time to part ways with that God awful contract.

10. The 1985er

I would prefer if McElroy got a shot at the starting position. He's already on the roster, and if the Jets intend on '13 being a transitional year (hinted at based on sources) then let him play and hold the fort for a year until we draft our QB in '14. If he plays above expectations then we have our QB.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Whether he is on the team or not we are almost paying the same amount for Holmes either way.

With the lack of targets our QB will have next year, keeping a guy around who can run routes and get separation might be a good idea.

We have too many other holes to fill and the $1 mil we save by cutting holmes is not going to get us much to buy our QB some help.

12. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I think you are forgetting how bad Sanchez was last year. Palmer wasn't any good either but he can at least get the ball down the field. It wouldn't take much for a guy like Moore, Flynn, Jackson to come in here and beat out Sanchez.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Holmes is the most talented player on our offense and we need him.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

:lol: WHAT? He's helped lose more games than win? huh? Statements like this baffle me. Stop whining about Holmes because you don't like his personality. He is staying. He's like the ONE playmaker on offense. It would be utterly stupid to trade him.

15. 101GangGreen101

Holmes helped us win
    - Lions
    - Browns
    - Texans (I kind of actually credit Braylon for this because he got us down the field in the first place)
    - Patriots playoff game (All team effort but for the sake of this convo I'll put it here even though I don't credit him with the win)

Holmes helped us lose
    - Eagles (fucking douchebag)
    - Dolphins 2011 (fucking douchebag)
    - Packers 2010 (drops easy pass for easy TD and prob a win). Could of went 12-4 and had the division and maybe we play the AFCCG at home.
    - Fuck it every game since the Tebow game in 2011 he's been a cancer ever since the Brandon Moore incident. His attitude is atrocious.

Never wanted him here to begin with. Get rid of him in 2014, find someone else worth while that can produce. 10 mil for a #2 WR? Or 1b whichever looks better to you?

If we get a new QB in 2014, I don't want Holmes anywhere near him.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Lets trade Holmes and Cromartie, This will open up money to sign Revis to a 5 year deal

17. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I have seen Holmes drop a lot of passes, and just the lackluster effort going after passes that I use to see players like Cotchery, Chrebet or even Coles absolutely die for. Holmes, is bad news and his stint will continue on the field and most likely off the field again this year.

I cannot wait until he is out of a Jets uni, he is a bum. All the guaranteed money he got should have went to a true play maker and baller like Revis.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

````
    Seriously? The entire team wins and loses games, not just one player. Cotchery had an end zone drop that was a perfect pass in the Packers game and the Patriots were 14-2 that year. That win doesn't win us the division, although it would have knocked the Packers out of the playoffs and hence no superbowl for them. If you don't like his attitude, so be it, but he's a very good WR, not like top 5 or anything, but he can make plays and catch really difficult passes and we need somebody like that on the team. Plus he's catching balls from SANCHEZ, who is notoriously inaccurate.

On an unrelated note, I noticed Coples has the wrong # in your sig. It's 98.

#58 Barcs, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  19. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Everyone here saying that Santonio is a cancer somehow forgets this team played its very best games with him catching balls left and right.

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I'd STILL take Braylon Edwards over him, which I felt we should have done after 2010.

BUT on the other hand, we do need talented WR's not some joe schmo, scub, scabs like we had this past season..