You are a GM...what will you trade for Revis?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 23, 2013.

1. wildaces

wildaces Banned

That is wrong. If the Jets trade Revis, they can let the trading partner renegotiate the contract. We would not be responsible for his salary, and he would pay back the remaining signing bonus, assuming that it was prorated over the final three years.

However, if you are right, They have a least 3 contracts that they can restructure to compensate.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

When he's the best player on the team, and a top 10 player in the league....yes, yes you can.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think there is any way to manage prorated bonus in the event of a trade other than to immediately apply it to the trading team's cap.

It is possible that you could structure a contract such that a player's new team had to immediately refund the remaining portion of the player's bonus to the trading team, thus lifting it off the cap of the trading team. I don't think you would ever get a player to sign that contract though.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

:lol: Great point. :breakdance:

5. DanR

DanR Active Member

I'll be cheering for Revis as long as he doesnt end up on Patriots.

6. wildaces

wildaces Banned

We discussed this before. I don't remember the numbers off hand, but Revis could net $10 million more this year by signing this contract. I will go figure it out again.

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

Why not just trade Cro and his $10 million cap figure then? With that trade and Sanchez's money coming off the books, they'll have plenty to sign Revis after '13.

8. dcnr226

dcnr226 New Member

1st and 2nd from the Fins this year would get it done. Either that or he comes here as a free agent next year for less than market value....bc this is Miami. No state income tax and he gets to live in...Miami.

He'd take a 5 year, 55 million with 20 mil guaranteed to be in South Florida. We are in position to do it now, and we'd still be healthy salary cap wise next year I've seen him out and about down here countless times. Dude loves South Florida.

Revis to Miami. You heard it here first..

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I am 99 percent sure that we will not be trading to a division rival.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm hesitant to trade him for draft picks alone. I do not have confidence that this teams scouting department can turn those picks into the talent that Revis is.
    I would want an established player in the deal. Preferably a LB'r

11. Br4d

They don't have the cap space though. You've got to spend your cap dollars where they are most effective. In the NFL that's at QB, LT, DT, DE, ROLB. That's where teams win championships. You can make an argument that WR, MLB and S are just below that top tier. Safeties almost never get paid top dollar though unless they are Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu tornados.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

This is such a bullshit argument because no other corner comes close impacting the game the way Revis does.

13. CurbYourEnthusiasm

I disagree. In a passing league, a CB can be every bit as effective, esp to a team like the Jets. It varies from team to team. Some teams can win without good CBs; I don't think the Jets are one of those teams based off of Rex's philosophy. The Jets defense isn't nearly as good without Revis. That is a fact.

14. Br4d

The Jets went to the AFC championship game two years running with Revis at corner. Why didn't they win either of those games with the extra impact he supposedly brings?

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The most a corner can do is eliminate one player on the opposing offense and make it a 10 on 10 game. Then you have to worry about the rest of the team getting beat on.

16. Br4d

In a passing league an individual corner is less effective at helping his team win than in a rushing league where every team only has one or two legitimate receivers to cover.

The Jets lost to the Colts in 2009 in the AFC championship game because Revis could not cover Lito Sheppard and Drew Coleman's assignments along with his own.

Think about it.

The Cowboys got Deion Sanders to shut down Jerry Rice. The 49ers got him to shut down Michael Irvin. Who does Revis shut down on the Patriots and Ravens and how is that working out for the Jets?

#176 Br4d, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Wow a GM who gets it. I am impressed so far with what I am seeing. Send Mevi$ somewhere else.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

How did he impact the game this year? Sometimes I wonder what goes on in people's mind, the corner we should keep is the one who stayed healthy, not the one who was hurt.

I don't care how great he is, we need our untouchable player to be on offense, QB or RB.

I like Revis too but he is treating his time with the Jets as a business, and that being the case the Jets should deal with him in like manner.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

You're just cherry picking examples to support your cause.

I could make the same case that one of the reasons the Jets won all their playoff games cause Revis completely shutdown the other team's #1 receiver. Chad Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, and Wes Welker, in all 4 playoff games. In those games, no QB put up good numbers against us.

It works both ways.

20. AlToon

AlToon Member

We discussed this topic in Idzik thread yesterday

To piggyback on @JasonLaCanfora report: at least 2 teams have contacted NYJ abt Revis. Issue will be contract. can't be franchised post '13

https://twitter.com/JasonColeYahoo/status/294268094992490496

Trading Revis is the smart play. He wants to get paid. He can void his contract after 2013. He can become a free agent in March 2014.