Jim Popp: Interesting GM Candidate

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This guy might be able to identify talent, but I'm guessing he would really struggle with the intracacies of the NFL salary cap system. It's for that reason that I hope the Jets don't hire him... He would be better served in the scouting dept for a few years to be around the NFL system.

2. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

The only GM the Jets should hire are from teams with successful Pro Bowl Rosters. Just because a team has a losing record it does not mean the GM is a fault, the coach is. Look at KC, loaded with Pro Bowl Players. Thats where I would start, the roster.

3. swifty1021

swifty1021 New Member

Talent evaluation wise, it's interesting. He puts together really good teams with NFL and College left overs. Definitely has to do his homework, my question is knowing and managing the financial end, but Im sure Ari would handle a lot of that regardless. Leave no stone unturned I guess.

4. JETFIGHTERS

Thats true of Managing the bottom line, perhaps the Jets may also hire a Cap Guru as well, intersting...

5. This has crossed my mind. Suppose they target 2 guys..1 for personnel(concievably to replace Bradway) & 1 for cap/negotiations. Only issue is...they have to sway these candidates to take lateral moves title wise..unless they get really creative title wise and/or with the checkbook.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

based on what? or are you just creating what you think will appear to be a reasonable concern except it actually isn't without anything to actually back it up?

Do you know his background, his education, his mathematical abilities or ability to understand the boring, legal language that the rules are likely written in?

7. JETFIGHTERS

Directors of Player personnel, what about them for GM ? Cap Gurus can be found anywhere in Business of high level Corporations.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm not his elementary school teacher no, but it's reasonable to think that a guy who has never worked with the NFL salary cap at all would struggle stepping into the worst cap situation in the NFL.

Maybe he's a genius though. That's a more reasonable way of looking at things.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    "I would like the challenge of turning the #Jets around and bring them to the playoffs. It's New York." - Jim Popp

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jim Poop is the GM equivalent of Hayden Smith. Perfect fit.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because they are going to lock him in his office by himself and tell him to figure it out and don't come out until you do!

12. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Delicious.

Seriously, it would be awesome if this guy came here. His attitude certainly won't be 'SOJ, we suck, Patriots and Giants will be in the Superbowl every year'.

God, I really would be excited if he came.

13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Certainly the right attitude.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This guy makes me think of Saul Goodman:

[​IMG]

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yes sir!!!!

Next is Hue Jackson! Come on baby

16. Jet Rider

Jet Rider New Member

@SteveMariucci

Jim Popp GM Montreal CFL will make an excellent GM in NFL !!!! Mark my words !

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is getting more and more exciting to see Popp in our GM box

18. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

Everyone talks about Same Old Jets, but as soon as a radical new idea comes along everyone trashes the idea. I think we need to think outside the box to right this ship and the more I hear about Popp the more I like him. Hire him already and let's go find a top notch OC!

19. They likely know eachother through some sort of Michigan connection.Popp went to MSU & Mariucci is tied to that area via his time w/ the Lions & friendship w. Tom Izzo

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Sounds like the hype is really starting to circle around Popp. I think he would be great from all the stuff I've seen and read of him. I hope he is the real deal and blows the Jets away in the interview process.