If the Jets didn't trade up for Sanchez..?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gustoonarmy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Just reflecting on way too many 'what ifs..' and wanted to gauge what other folks think.

1. Would he (Sanchez) have gone that high in the draft if we hadn't traded up for him?

2. What other Team would have taken him?

3. Who would/should we have taken?

4. Should we have traded up at all?

5. I'm fairly certain he'll be with us next year in some kind of capacity , will we be able to trade him for draft picks?

Sorry for all the questions

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Redskins were interested in Sanchez, they had the 13th pick and might have moved a few spots.

Percy Harvin was high on the Jets radar, they probably would have taken him at #17.......that hasn't worked out too well, he's hurt/Ill all the time. Good player, but he can't stay healthy.

Josh Freeman could have been another option, and he's not exactly an elite player, very inconsistent.

BJ Raji & Clay Matthews were 2 of the best players drafted in RD 1...both to the Packers.

My favorite player going into Rd 1 was Hakeem Nicks.

3. HOI

HOI Active Member

1 and 2 - I think he would have been the 3rd QB taken instead of the 2nd. Maybe Tampa would have grabbed him at 17

3. Its easy to look back at the draft now and make a pick...there was a shit load of complete duds in the first round that year. It was just after Favre...new coach...we needed a QB. If we didnt get Sanchez we would have taken Freeman IMO.

4. In hindsight probably not but I think the organization was dead set on getting a "play now" QB

5. I dont think anyone is going to even pay for his bus ticket...why the hell would they? He was the 31st ranked QB in the league this year (i believe)...below all the rookies. Regardless of the lack of talent around him his ball security has always been shit. His demenor on the field sucks...his confidence is 0. If youre a GM would you rather give up picks to bring him in or save your picks...spend one pick on a 4th or 5th round "project" and hope for the best?

I think he'll be here next year and I wouldnt put it past this organization for a second that he may very well see significant playing time next year.

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Sanchez wouldn't have fallen to #17, and if he did the Jets wouldn't have had to trade up. There is no way Freeman would have been the #2 QB, Sanchez was rated much higher.

Also, Seattle at #4, was considering drafting Sanchez, but took Curry.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Probably would have drafted Freeman.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

As much as we needed a QB, the Jets loved Harvin and he was the favorite in Rd 1. In fact, the Jets tried to back into Rd 1 to draft Harvin.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Probably would have drafted Harvin.

Fixed. :up:

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The the top dozen picks in the 2009 draft were pretty brutal when you look back on it.

1. Matthew Stafford QB
    2. Jason Smith OT
    3. Tyson Jackson DE
    4. Aaron Curry LB
    5. Mark Sanchez QB
    6. Andre Smith OT
    7. Darrius Heyward-Bey WR
    8. Eugene Monroe OT
    9. BJ Raji DT
    10. Michael Crabtree WR
    11. Aaron Maybin DE
    12. Knowshon Moreno RB

Wow.

Stafford, A. Smith, Raji and Monroe were the best of that bunch (in that order). That's bad.

9. Realistic Jets Fan

If my aunt had testicles she'd be my uncle...

In other words..why discuss spilt milk

10. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Raji is waaaaaay better than Andre Smith.

11. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Crabtree has come on, Moreno is good when he gets to play. Both those OL are actually pretty bad.

What's nuts is how good the bottom half of that first round was with Nicks, Matthews, Oher, Maclin, Harvin, and Davis.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Meh. I think it's debatable. Outside of one good year, BJ has been just alright.

Andre Smith was arguably the best RT in the NFL this year.

13. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Rex said it in his book, Play Like You Mean It, that he wanted and would have drafted Percy Harvin if he didn't take Sanchez and he ended up going 22nd to the Vikings in the first round.

And the only reason he picked Sanchez over Josh Freeman was because Sanchez had more guys show up to a throw around and that showed his leadership lol.