Now Gaine Is In Play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 9, 2013.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The Jets are ginna mess this up royally. A Bradway wannabe now is gaining steam.nthey are also talking to Jimmy Raye another Jets cast away from a bygone era. This is truly ridiculous. They should have locked down someone by now.

2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Guys from successful organizations fail. Guys from losing organizations wind up winning. Can't make assumptions based solely on that.

3. Petey

Petey Active Member

You can't predict baseball (football?), Suzyn.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What?

What kind of warp judgement is that? I realized its a crap shoot but the Jets are going off the beaten track. They can have any GM prospect they want but looking at losers makes zero sense. We've had enough of them.

5. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Probably what 49er fans were thinking when they promoted Trent Baalke from within after one of the worst stretches in franchise history. The Chiefs were probably psyched to get the personnel guy behind Belicheck. Complaining about a guy that we don't even know who he is yet is the epitome of being a Jet fan.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

great post +1

7. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

No magic formula. Plenty of bad GM's come from winning organizations, Scott Pioli to name one. The Jet's need to be thorough, and at this point they lost out on Caldwell, who wasn't coming anyway.

8. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I get the feeling the guys here are complaining more about the Jets' approach than the actual candidates, though there's a bit fo that too. The bottom line is that the organization APPEARS to be fumbling this badly because they interviewed a bunch of guys who were hot prospects and didn't hire any. They are falling back to guys who left, or guys within the organization, and again ,perception or reality, it APPEARS that they are scrambling and going to a Plan B-type scenario.

No one on this board is familiar enough with any of the candidates, nor with the real process of hiring a GM, to comment with any authority.

It's all just opinion.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This statement might be true. But all things considered - wouldn't you want to choose a guy from a winning organization that had a big part in it?

Just because you can find examples on either side of the coin doesn't change the fact that in most instances it makes the most sense to hire a winner. (if you want to win)

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Why is Gaine a bad choice? We have cap issues. The Dolphins are well under the cap...

11. Anybody outside the organization who is clearly qualified..which Gaines is.. & I'm happy.

12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to kill them for exploring any and every viable candidate and at this point I'm just going to sit back and take a wait and see attitude.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It makes sense to hire good competent people. We do not know the inter-workings of the other teams or who they recommended to draft. The draft is not an exact science more of an art anyway can't miss prospects miss all the time.

They could be great or they could suck they are all successful or they would not be in the position they are in. If Cohen is young good GM prospect hire him I love hiring from with-In if they are young and hungry and qualified

These other guys seem to be riding others coat tales. Interview them hire the best guy. Unless we are going to hire a Ron Wolf they are all un-proven.

14. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

The Dolphins are well under the cap because they don't have many big name players on their roster. Reggie Bush is the only player that I can think of off the top of my head. The Dolphins are in rebuild mode, they should be well under the cap. Not saying Gaine is a bad choice, just saying you can't judge him simply based on their cap situation.

15. AlToon

AlToon Member

Another Parcells guy. Sparano was a Dallas and Miami guy. He was a Parcells guy. Gaine is a Parcells guy. So is Bradway. Tannenbaum too. Is the Tuna secretly running the Jets from his bunker in Florida? Even Rex Ryan. Parcells interviewed him for the Fish before he hired Sparano.

The Tuna admitted to ESPN that he seriously considered hiring Ryan in 2008 when he took over as VP of football operations for Miami, which had just gone 1-15.

"I was very impressed with Rex when I met with him," Parcells said. "I could just sense that, 'Hey, this guy's going to have a chance.'"

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports...-to-Be-the-Dolphins-Head-Coach-114219309.html

He was so impressed that when Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum approached him for guidance upon firing Eric Mangini at the end of the 2008 season, Parcells recommended Ryan for the job -- even though the Dolphins would face him twice a year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/25166/bill-parcells-told-the-jets-to-hire-rex-ryan

Who hired Bradway? Tuna. Mr.T. Little Bill knew him from Cleveland. Recommended Mike T to big Bill.

Gaine is a Parcells guy. Jets. Cowboys. Dolphins. Is Gaine a Jimmy Sexton client too?

Tuna. Rex. Tony S. All Sexton guys.

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I don't know how much he has to do with the cap, if any, but he isn't the main "capologist".

The only bad thing I've heard about Gaine is that he didn't wanna pay Wake to come from the CFL and obviously that turned out great for us, but we got really lucky with him.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

+1. My feelings exactly.

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Maybe, just maybe the GM candidates are treating our situation as the fallback plan since they are being forced to keep Rex.

We are so fucking this up!

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

True but the jets may be using a single lens scope but we all would feel better if they used a hubbel..

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

No doubt some may look at it that way. Hopefully someone will look at it like a challenge and realize they could be worshipped if they do it well.

Unfortunately the challenge may never materialize cause the chief doc and patients are running the asylum into the ground