JohnnyThaJet's Pre-Combine Jets Mock Draft (1.6.2013)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Been waiting to make a standard Jets mock for awhile. Now that most of the bowl games are over and this forum is becoming a bit more lively, why not put one out there.

The Jets offense this year was plain terrible. While we have some holes on defense, we have many more holes on offense, which is why I went with an offensive heavy draft. I want to put as many offensive weapons on this team as I can so when we move on to our future QB (whoever that maybe) in 2014, he'll have talent all around him. (If you'd like to know how I got to my first round selection, let me know)

2013 Jets Mock Draft:

No. 9 overall - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    Anyway you look at it we need an elite piece to add to our offense. If we cant go QB, why not get one of the best OT's in the draft? Lewan is a stout pass blocker, can get to the second level with his athleticism, and has a mean streak that goes unmatched. IMO, he needs to add more weight coming into the NFL (go from 309 to 320), but I dont see that as a problem at all. Our OLine will go from inconsistent to consistent because of this kid alone playing the Right Tackle position. Watch out for him to blow up the combine.

[​IMG]

No. 39 overall- DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    Jets need weapons, badly, and DeAndre Hopkins is one of the best in the country. Early this year, I watched Clemson games for Sammy Watkins. By the end of the year, I watched Clemson games for DeAndre. This kids got everything you want in a dynamic WR, superb release off the line, soft hands, willing to go over the middle, and has underrated speed. Right now he's an early second round talent, in my eyes, but I wouldnt be surprised in the least if hes taken in the back end of the first (By Houston for example).

[​IMG]

No. 72 Overall- Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers

Alright, alright, alright, I'm getting greedy with Jamison here. Now while his stock is right around the early 3rd AT THE MOMENT, I'd venture to say he solidifies himself as a 2nd round prospect after the combine/workouts (unless better RBs start to fall). I've watched this kid for awhile now as a marginal Rutgers fan and I dont see many things I dont like about him. He's got ideal vision, makes people miss in the open field consistently, wears down any defense he faces, and can catch out of the backfield as well as anyone. Its safe to say, I have a man crush on Jamison.

[​IMG]

No. 103 Overall (pending comp picks)- Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Mississippi
    Jets need to address OLB sometime and here it is. Jamie had an excellent year totaling 10 sacks, 20 TFL, and 4 forced fumbles. He's not talked about very much but did well against solid teams like Boise and Nebraska this season. He has the ability to drop back into coverage (although it needs to be polished) as well as possessing superior athleticism at 6'4 239. If he can bulk up just a bit more he could be a contributor to this defense in the future.

[YOUTUBE]Pgo4xXFTA84[/YOUTUBE]

No. 134 Overall (pending comp picks)- Dri Archer, RB/WR/KR, Kent State PLAYING IN THE GODADDY BOWL TONIGHT AT 9PM!
    I know what you're saying, "Another RB? WHY?" We'll two reasons. 1) He's one of my favorite prospects and 2) He is what we need, a dynamic home run hitter. Dri has monster numbers because of the talent he plays against, but thats not to say he still cant be a similarly explosive player in the NFL. This kids got vision, receives out of the backfield extremely well, and is one of the best returners in college football (could easily punt return for us). He's not necessarily being taken to replace anyone on the roster, but again, we need WEAPONS, Archer is a weapon. Right now, he hasnt declared, but rumor is he'll be leaving with Darrell Hazell on his way to Purdue. (If you dont know him very well watch his game versus Bowling Green below at 8:16)

[YOUTUBE]cxh7UBOC1U4[/YOUTUBE]

No. 168 Overall (pending comp picks)- Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas State

a JuCo transfer, Nigel Malone has come into K-State and made an impact. Through two years he's shown flashes of good man skills as well as a nose for intercepting the football (4 INTs this year, 7 INTs last year). I dont think he has what it takes to be a #1 or #2 in the NFL, so I have him here in the 6th round. He should develop into a solid Nickelback in the NFL, right up Rex's alley. (Video below is the only thing I could find of K State defense , he is #24).

[YOUTUBE]ZGgGH8AnpuQ[/YOUTUBE]

No. 199 Overall (pending comp picks)- Travis Johnson, OLB, San Jose State
    This pick is purely a flyer. Travis Johnson was 3rd in the country with 13 sacks this season and the nations active career leader in sacks at 31, but this was all against weaker competition. He's not going to make some dynamic impact anytime soon but he shows he can bull rush any LT with consistency. He's a project at best but certainly not a terrible one.

[YOUTUBE]8tISkvg1BZA[/YOUTUBE]

Appreciate any feedback.

#1 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Dont know how I feel about picking a RT early, Hopkins is good similar to Torrey Smith, Jamison is a great pick but he's gone in the 2nd, I'm familiar with Archer but I think he stays in school. The last few picks are basically flyers.

Love the realism however, just think we'd still be at best 6-10 team with our schedule next year and these pick ups

good work JTJ

3. JohnnyThaJet

Heres the thing, Lewan is a borderline elite prospect. Solidifying this line is extremely important and if we want to be a successful team in the future, picks like these need to be made.

Heres my first round draft from 1-9 to show you how I ended up at Lewan.

KC- Top QB (I think whichever QB establishes themselves as a worthy first round pick, KC will reach for, even at 1. The Reid hiring swayed me.)
    Jags- DaMontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
    Raiders- Star Lotulelei , DT, Utah
    Eagles- Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame (Look for a dynamic player over need at CB)
    Lions- Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    Browns- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
    Cardinals- Luke Jockel, OT, Texas A&M
    Bills- Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    Jets- Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

Now we could also take Dion Jordan, who I love, but Lewan is simply a better prospect.

See now as I established in my mock, I believe Jamison will end up as a second round selection, but I cant make assumptions just yet. So for now, I'm selecting him in the 3rd.

Archer is iffy, I dont know whether he'll stay in school or not, but if he has a huge game tonight, with the addition of his coach leaving, why not leave? I dont see his stock improving THAT much more next season.

Lastly, no draft will make us a playoff team next season, this one is simply setting us up for the future. While building around our future QB (whoever that maybe) in 2014. Look back at teams like the 49ers, theyve done similar things.

#3 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 6, 2013
  4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Lewan is a great OT prospect. I honestly wouldn't mind picking him at 9 as oppose to someone like Warmack. Getting an elite RT is huge (we've been trying to replace that huge void since Woody retired).

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm actually starting to think the Chiefs trade down this year. The way the QB class is shaping up (poorly) I think they can get their #1 or #2 choice by trading down as many as 10 or 12 slots. I think they may feign interest in drafting T'eo and then trade down to a team that wants him "more". I hate to say this, but the Dolphins could be that matchup. Their ILB is going to be 32 next season, and they are armed with a ton of draft picks this year that if they wanted to sell out for the biggest stud in the draft, they could easily entice the Chiefs to trade down. Their first this year and next, and a second and a third from this years draft. (that would still leave the Fins with a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year. Not saying that will happen, but I can definitely see a match there for a trade down for the Chiefs.

6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

JTJ,

I watched Lewan for the most part dominate the best DE in college football in the bowl game. He held his own against Clowney for the most part and it was impressive.

If the draft shakes out as you have it with the first 8 picks than I have no issue going with Lewan or Warmack. It just makes the most sense to me. BUt if Moore, Jones, or my presonal favorite Star makes it to us I just think we have to pull the trigger.

It seems as if no matter who Mark has as weapons the O is going to suck, so to me wwe might as well make the D completly dominate.

Now in saying that is Bernard, Austin, or Bailey are sitting there in the 2-3 rounds we need to take them asap.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not a fan of a wr in the second 2 years in a row. i just feel we would be giving up on hill to early in this scenario. now if jamison inthe 2nd isn't too much of a reach i would take that ith a safety or olb in the 3rd.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

After the game Nuk put it up on LSU, there is no way he is available at 39. The kid is just too damn good. I heard the Chad Johnson comparison before, and like it a lot. He will be a first round pick, and frankly has a better chance of going top 15 than he does being available at 39.

Another WR I love is Terrance Williams of Baylor. Kids a beast...

9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

My hats off to you.

Lewan was my 1st rd pick in my soon to be released mock draft. Matthews is probably heading back to college for his senior year.
    And I had Travis Johnson at the end myself - hoping a guy with a motor like that could make the transition from DE to OLB.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree with everything in between. WRs for 2013 are Holmes, B. Edwards, J. Kerley, S. Hill. We wont have Holmes & Edwards after the season, but we can address that need in 2014 draft.
    RB in 3rd? - Who do we have playing guard? - we're about to lose both of them.

I initially had Collins myself, but removed him. I see him getting by at the college level on speed alone -- I dont see any strength in him when I watch him on tape. If he benches 30 reps at the combine, that could change my opinion.

10. johnmr718

johnmr718 New Member

1,2,3 round picks

In the 1st the Jets should get a pass rushing OLB or Chance Warmack or Teo or Reid
    Zach Ertz in the 2nd
    Stepfan Taylor in the 3rd

11. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Love the OL pick, but WR isn't really a priority early on in this draft despite our issues at the position. Easier to find a decent WR than it is to find a OL, LB or CB. Plus, this season we're going to stink so there really is no need to pick a WR that high. Next year yes, not this year.

12. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

im just curious why we go taylor lewan over chance warmack, its not like chance isn't an elite prospect either. also if deandre hopkins is available at our pick, its necessary we draft him. sometimes you need to think about the future, not exactly not year. how much longer are we going to have braylon and santonio? what is stephen hill doesn't work out? i personally like this mock, it has a good philosophy

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Would hope we're signing a tight end because there's nothing in this draft.

I like a lot of the individual players. I could get behind Lewan at 9. Love Hopkins as a prospect. Dri Archer was one of my favorite college players this past year.

It's a little hard to project the draft right now. We'll know a lot more in March.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'd love to beef up the O-Line this year. It will help the run game and it could also help the QB play.

15. JohnnyThaJet

Easier to say trade down than to actually do it. Who in the NFL is going to trade from 10-12 to #1 while giving up multiple draft picks? Its not like theres a QB sitting there waiting to be drafted? Maybe someone desperate for a LT like the Cardinals, but I think theyd wait it out.

16. JohnnyThaJet

Lewan really solidified his borderline elite status with me once I saw how well he did against Clowney. Hes the type of guy you could plug in and cover up the errors that guys like Howard/Hunter made the past two seasons.

And trust me, If Moore, Jones, or Star are there, Im selecting them. Just in this draft that was not the case (and I dont think it will be come April).

I think Austin gets picked in the first 4 picks in the second at the very LEAST. He'll blow up the combine and be touted as the next Harvin, which he should be. I dont think he makes the Jets second round selection.

17. JohnnyThaJet

He is an incredible WR, but I think guys like Allen, Williams, and Austin are ahead of him right now and will be ahead of him come April. Although, if he gets picked as the first WR off the board, I wont be in shock by any means. With the defensive talent and offensive line talent I dont see a WR being picked until at the very earliest the Rams later pick (Redskins pick).

I think youre missing the point of my draft, skill position wise. We need weapons. I dont care if we have Holmes, Edwards, Hill, and Kerley, I have no confidence in them to cut it (even with a better QB). Adding a guy with the skills Hopkins has in the second is a steal. I'd rather have him this year coming into next year with a better QB than another WR next year. I want as many threats on offense as possible, once Rex is out of here I believe we will become a pass heavy offense, having a crop of Holmes, Hopkins, Kerley, and Hill could become a blessing to our future QB. We need to reverse what we did to Sanchez and develop a our franchise player by surrounding him with playmakers, similar to what the Colts are doing with Luck.

And Collins needs to be on an NFL workout plan. He has the frame to build more muscle while maintaining the speed he has. Hes a project, I wont doubt that, but a worthy one for the 4th round. If he benches 30+ at the combine, he wont be a 4th round pick.

18. JohnnyThaJet

I disagree. Now while a pass rusher could be available in the second, I went with BPA, something I think is most important in drafts over need (even for a team like us). We're not going to answer every position in this draft, but what we can do is add as many good-great players we can while drafting. Thats what smart organizations do.

19. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

I can't understand how come there is no love for Warmack on this board? JohnnyThaJet I have nothing against Lewan but, Warmack is touted as elite the best guard to come out since Steve Hutchinson. He is a player that comes around once every 10 to 15 years. If Warmack is there we need to take him with our 1st pick.

#19 S.HOLMES.10, Jan 6, 2013
  20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Nice effort.

I've been mentioning Lewan would be a good option when we found out the Jets got the 9th Pick. Lewan would a solid Rt and excellent insurance for Brick, cause we have NOBODY to replace Brick.

Hopkins is a great talent, he may be a bordeline late Rd 1 player.

Jawan Jamison, how can not like this kid?? He's on the small size, but plays bigger. I would pick Eddie Lacy or Franklin, but wouldn't hate your pick.

I follow the Mac and Archer is a freak.

I would like to draft a QB and TE, everything else is real solid.