Looks like Gamble might be our guy.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jollygreenjet, Jan 5, 2013.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Problem solved? That's like saying you can put a piece of tape over a wound when you have the option for stitches.

2. Realistic Jets Fan

Or pissing away draft picks for expensive worse choices like Flynn or Smith...

Which would be like putting dirt and germs on that same wound.

Apparently you missed watching Moore shred our defense at the end of 11 and again in our home game this year when he replaced Tannehill

and of course better than anyone on our roster

3. BroadwayAaron

He shred our defense, sign this beast! Guess that's why we went after Tebow. And it really panned out too. Good call.

4. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Lol.

God I hate the fascination some people have with Moore.

5. BroadwayAaron

He's fine for a stop gap. But Smith has the potential to be more than that. It's really not even close between the two. I'd take Moore if there were no way whatsoever to get Smith or if the asking price was too much. But people are just flat out saying Moore is better. And you wonder why this fanbase gets the reputation it gets.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Smith is the stop gap we need, ill pass on Matt Moore.

7. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

3. The Gamble: Let's take a closer look at Gamble's work in San Francisco. He started out in pro personnel; it wasn't until 2010 that he got involved in the draft. The '10 draft was a winner, having produced three starters -- RT*Anthony Davis, G*Mike Iupati*(Pro Bowl) and LB Navorro Bowman (Pro Bowl), a great third-round pick.*The '11 draft was basically a two-man haul -- OLB*Aldon Smith*(Pro Bowl) and QB*Colin Kaepernick. The jury's still out on Kaepernick. If he develops into a consistent winner, the draft will be a smashing success. Anytime you can get a stud pass-rusher and a starting QB, you're doing OK. It's still early to draw conclusions, but the '12 draft has produced nothing. Not one of the seven picks has come close to making an impact, including WR*A.J. Jenkins, the No. 1 choice. Gamble didn't become a hot commodity based on the last draft, that's for sure.*4. Niner envy: With all this Gamble/49ers talk, I can't help but think back to a Ryan quote from the run-up to the Jets-49ers game in September. Ryan said the Jets' pro personnel department, which grades every player from every team, assigned blue-chip status to seven players on the 49ers' defense. "When you look at it, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that many," he said. The Jets went out and proved the 49ers' superiority by losing 34-0.* http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkjets&id=19823&city=newyork

#227 Jollygreenjet, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Apparently the new GM will also take the job with Sanchez as the only viable QB on the roster.:smile:

No GM worth a shit would take the Jets job with full control. We just have to hope we get lucky.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Funny how a few million dollars a year and control of one of 32 NFL franchises makes these minor details insignificant.

Oh and FTR I have no idea how good or bad Gamble might be, I hope people don't think I was suggesting that I did. My point was simply that Gamble was on the short list of known hot GM candidates that people seemingly ruled the Jets out of because of keeping Rex.

10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Well, the alternatives appear to be the Jaguars and possibly the Chargers, so I don't know if he's got a lot of options. And I also don't know if you can rely on passing on all jobs and waiting for something to come up next year.

11. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

It's not just Smith vs. Moore. Smith needs to be traded for.

(Smith + giving up a pick) vs. (Moore & keeping our picks).

Both of them are at best stop-gap QB & will hopefully be needed for only one season.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm sure there's no coincidence that the leap in his performance occurred after the 9ers hired a very offensive minded head coach who also happened to be a former NFL QB and had a hand in developing Andrew Luck....... then decided to bench a "winning" Alex Smith because he knew his ceiling.

Alex Smith is Sanchez 1.0......

At this point would he be an upgrade? probably, but not with a longterm cost / production standpoint given what it will take to aquire him.

13. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I agree. He is outright awful. Why would we want him?

14. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

For everyone having a hard on for Smith...he's going to want STARTER $$$.

We have $8.25M tied up with Dirty. How much you want to pay Smith? $4, $5, $6 million? We are NOT going to tie up $14M on one position.

WRITE IT DOWN.

15. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

People are so afraid about how good of a hire this can be that they are reading Rich Cimini and trying to piss in their own cornflakes.

Seriously...'they graduated six years apart' that's a LOT of connection. My God. We can hire Robert Kraft to be our GM and this arrogant troll will complain.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a fair comparison, let's compare Smith's 5th-8th seasons in the league to Sanchez's 1st-4th. Makes it a lot more convenient doesn't it?

17. legler82

I didn't cherry pick. I compared apples to apples. His first 4 years of playing to Sanchez's and they are pretty similar. What's to say Sanchez doesn't turn it around in year 5 like Smith seem to have turn some a corner? The problem with Jets fans and fans in general is that they think the grass is always greener.

18. legler82

Ah, there is some common sense left on these boards.

19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Of course its fair.If Sanchez had been improving every year, then you might have a point. But since he gets worse every minute, I don't even knowif its fairto include Sanchez's first two years anymore!!!

20. BroadwayAaron

Ah, there is some common sense left on these boards.